Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crossfire -> Z

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 07:12 PM
BobaFettm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crossfire -> Z

Hey all I'm looking to switch over from the Crossfire over to the Z for a list of reasons, but I could use some help answering a few questions. I've been going through much of this forum for about a week and its answered a few things but there are some problems that I could use some direct help on.

Main Reasons for my switch
- Lack of upgrades for the Xfire
- Lack of solid fan base in Michigan (The average driver is some 40 year old lady driving it to the store... or some 16 year old punk that runs over curbs with the front end... 0 respect for a car that I really did love at first..)
- Loss of rare status in Michigan... It came from a car no one had last Feb. to something everyone is driving! Its spread enormous with a crappy base of users.
- Price to upgrade the Crossfire is just rediculous

Why I chose the Z
- Rarity in Michigan... not a lot of 350z owners out here at all! I love that... Its not a car you see everyday on the road
- Upgrades
- JDM
- Two seater

Questions about the Z
**I've read a few comments about this but I could use some more definite answers and I'll go and test drive it**
- The SMT (Sequential Manual Trans.)... I know its not a manual... but how does it react to the down shifting and shifting , does it just loss power? or does it hold the RPMs into the gear? I know the Mercedes SMT was amazing in the Xfire. Anyone with Auto's think they can let me know how they feel about the cars fast shifting of gears since this car will be used for autocrossing. I need to know weither it will dump to much during repeated up/down shifting.

- Any fellow Autocrossers out here have any input on their car and racing? I used my Crossfire to win a 4th place in my TDS class this year and I would like to continue autocrossing with the Z ... how does the car handle in close track situations? I heard of the oversteering and I know my Xfire oversteered heavily! Braking-Tire spin-body roll???

- The next question is about DVD mods... I'm coming from a AVIC Pioneer DVD / MP3 / Radio / Nav. all in one system! I loved this for all sorts of reasons and I HAVE to have something in my Z! I've seen that the way the radio placement is that it will be VERY hard if not impossible to put a DVD screen in where the radio slot is... I've seen pics of people putting screens in where the NAV screen would go... How did one go about picking out the setup they chose and is there any sites that I can read up on modifing the NAV area on the 350z! ... or has anyone tried putting a stand alone DVD / NAV / MP3 in that part of the car? ... I dont see why I couldnt just build a harness into that spot...

I'm hoping to go and test drive a 35th Anniv. once they come out and have them here in michigan! w/ SMT trans (auto) for daily driving through heavy heavy traffic... plus I enjoy the SMT in autocrossing rather then a manual just personal opinion... I know ill get flamed for my choice... but I like them...

Any help would be hugely appreciated! I really look forward to owning a Z! I think its a great car and I'm a big fan of the Z series...
Old 01-16-2005, 07:30 PM
imoz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With regards to the DVD stuff, check out mp3car.com and digitalww.com, they have a 1 DIN radio bay that houses a retractable touchscreen, if you were looking to do an in car computer. I believe the AVIC is 1 DIN size, in which case to install in the Z (or something similar from Kenwood, Clarion, Eclipse, etc. etc.) you could put it in the factory radio location with 1 bay being the AVIC unit and the other bay being a little cubby. Check the Audio/Video forum here.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:59 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the 05s have some sort of rev match feature. havent driven one, so thats all I can say, have read marvelous reviews of it though.

the Z is nimble, but its no autocross monster. however it should be much better than a crossfire. nothing against you, but Id assume your competition was a bit lax. anyone that thinks an S2k or miata cant outhandle us easily is delusional. the Z is an all around performer, but it is 3200lbs, and nothing can change that fact (besides cf).

the radio thing, Im not totally up on, but it is a double din, and can fit any of the fold out screen systems. or you can fit a 7" screen in the nav with almost no modification. what it plays from is a whole nother story. car PCs are popular, I guess they make headunits that output video? I really dont know. simplest way is a fold out stereo unit.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:34 PM
PDX_Racer

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Re: Crossfire -> Z

I just read a review of the M35, which uses a manumatic. The reviewers really liked it, to the point that they actually started driving in full auto mode since the transmission wouldn't shift up when coming off the accelerator and braking for a corner.

I don't know if the manumatic in the Z is exactly the same, but if it is, it might not be quite the disadvantage that most other autos.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:52 PM
R.J._Vancouver

Default Re: Crossfire -> Z

Originally posted by BobaFettm
Hey all I'm looking to switch over from the Crossfire over to the Z for a list of reasons, but I could use some help answering a few questions. I've been going through much of this forum for about a week and its answered a few things but there are some problems that I could use some direct help on.

Main Reasons for my switch
- Lack of upgrades for the Xfire
- Lack of solid fan base in Michigan (The average driver is some 40 year old lady driving it to the store... or some 16 year old punk that runs over curbs with the front end... 0 respect for a car that I really did love at first..)
- Loss of rare status in Michigan... It came from a car no one had last Feb. to something everyone is driving! Its spread enormous with a crappy base of users.
- Price to upgrade the Crossfire is just rediculous

Why I chose the Z
- Rarity in Michigan... not a lot of 350z owners out here at all! I love that... Its not a car you see everyday on the road
- Upgrades
- JDM
- Two seater

Questions about the Z
**I've read a few comments about this but I could use some more definite answers and I'll go and test drive it**
- The SMT (Sequential Manual Trans.)... I know its not a manual... but how does it react to the down shifting and shifting , does it just loss power? or does it hold the RPMs into the gear? I know the Mercedes SMT was amazing in the Xfire. Anyone with Auto's think they can let me know how they feel about the cars fast shifting of gears since this car will be used for autocrossing. I need to know weither it will dump to much during repeated up/down shifting.

- Any fellow Autocrossers out here have any input on their car and racing? I used my Crossfire to win a 4th place in my TDS class this year and I would like to continue autocrossing with the Z ... how does the car handle in close track situations? I heard of the oversteering and I know my Xfire oversteered heavily! Braking-Tire spin-body roll???

- The next question is about DVD mods... I'm coming from a AVIC Pioneer DVD / MP3 / Radio / Nav. all in one system! I loved this for all sorts of reasons and I HAVE to have something in my Z! I've seen that the way the radio placement is that it will be VERY hard if not impossible to put a DVD screen in where the radio slot is... I've seen pics of people putting screens in where the NAV screen would go... How did one go about picking out the setup they chose and is there any sites that I can read up on modifing the NAV area on the 350z! ... or has anyone tried putting a stand alone DVD / NAV / MP3 in that part of the car? ... I dont see why I couldnt just build a harness into that spot...

I'm hoping to go and test drive a 35th Anniv. once they come out and have them here in michigan! w/ SMT trans (auto) for daily driving through heavy heavy traffic... plus I enjoy the SMT in autocrossing rather then a manual just personal opinion... I know ill get flamed for my choice... but I like them...

Any help would be hugely appreciated! I really look forward to owning a Z! I think its a great car and I'm a big fan of the Z series...
About the DVD stuff, I have the AVIC in my Z. The kit that was installed wih mine has a slot in the lower DIN position that holds two CD`s.
The last local meet I was at there was a guy that had a stand alone DVD player that had some kind of bracket or mount to put it in the spot were the factory screen would go. Not sure if it was a custom made thing or not.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:29 AM
BigMoeTaki42

I bought my Z used, and the first owner traded it in for a crossfire. So I guess he was thinkin the opposite of you! Anyway, about your autocross question, the Z has a great suspension, but it is a tad heavy, around 3200 or 3300 if I'm not mistaken. It should still run circles around a crossfire. As for your DVD question, I don't know much about it, but I think a fold-out stereo is the easiest way to go, and it'll be safer against theives.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:09 AM
mdacko

BobaFettm, im in Ann Arbor. have you checked out the detroit area Z list in the regional forums?

get teh Z! we have regular meets and stuff. and yes the Z isnt too common in MI, i see one a week maybe, especially in the winter. in the summer i see at bit more, but its the same 5 people over and over again.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:05 PM
BobaFettm

Awesome! Thank you all for the information! I just gotta go out and test drive one ... I'm looking at purchasing sometime in later Feb. ... I still gotta decide how to get a DVD / NAV in there somehow too! Thanks again!