Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone else wonder this about the Z?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2002, 01:45 AM
Curious350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone else wonder this about the Z?

I would appreciate anyone that can help me with this. I've read many times on this site that people even now can't get their Z's right away and that they have to wait until Feb or March to get it. I also read somewhere that they're gonna make like 30,000 units just on the 2003 models alone. Also, I've heard that out of those 30,000 units, that less than 10,000 are pre-ordered. I guess my question is, why does it take so long to get the Z if there are so many models being made? Is Nissan just gonna bust out a bunch of Z's at the second or something? Please help me, I'm confused! I want one now, I can't wait!
Old 11-09-2002, 03:40 AM
rai

True pre-orders are a thing of the past. But there is probably a waiting list at most dealers. So if you walk into a dealership now there may be a number of people in front of you on the waiting list. The dealer may be getting 2-3 Z's a month, so if you are number 8 on the list it may be around 3-4 months.

Same thing happens with my honda odyssey. They make like 100k of them a year but ther is still a waiting list in some areas.
Old 11-09-2002, 08:47 AM
JJH

Yup, the dealer I went to told me that the wait would be 3-4 months after I put in the order.
Old 11-09-2002, 11:21 AM
kpoon

I placed my order at the beginning of Oct and got my Z 3 days ago. There is no markup in San Diego too. So, if you don't mind the drive down here, you may consider calling them.
Old 11-09-2002, 01:19 PM
Curious350z

Hey Kpoon, are you not joking? Down in San Diego, you don't have to wait four months, and you can get it for MSRP? Sounds too good to be true
Old 11-09-2002, 02:19 PM
kpoon

Well that's my case but I am not sure if it's true to other pre-order in SD or just because someone cancelled his pre-order and I took his place or what. But I heard Mossy Nissan Kearny Mesa which is my dealer has another sunset enthusiast coming soon. This dealer is nice though. Won't hurt to call them. 10% deposit and is refundable.
Old 11-09-2002, 03:18 PM
kyle jones

Figure it this way.

30,000 Z's per year = 2,500 per month.

Remember: 30,000 is for the entire year. The cars aren't made in a day, then sold over the course of the entire year.

At nissan's new site http://www.nissannews.com/ the October production numbers show that, year to date (~2 months) less than 6300 Z's have been sold.

So, if it is true that there were initially 10,000 pre-orders, then there should still be roughly 3500 remaining to be filled. 3500 units, at 2500 per month, will take just under 2 months to complete. Then should come the orders for those who ordered after the Z deliveries began. 2 months from today would put us into the early part of January, EXACTLY when many people are being told by their dealer to expect delivery.
Old 11-09-2002, 04:08 PM
Bobby C 01TA

my friend here in Dallas pre ordered his in March and still hasnt received his Silver Z.. couple other friends ordered Z's( 1 silver and 1 blue) around June and July and they both received thiers already
Old 11-09-2002, 04:17 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

preorders were not first come first delivered. nissan never said they were this is something people assumed.

i got my Z 2 weeks ago no presale at MSRP. the dealer still has 2 like this left . walk in drive out
Old 11-09-2002, 04:56 PM
zforme

Default Pre-ordered Zs

Team Nissan in Lithia Springs (Atlanta, GA) has 6 Touring Editions for sale. I asked the salesman how they got so many when there are still unfilled preorders. He said that Team Nissan created preorders with fake/imaginary people so that they would have an early allocation of cars to sell. This is probably a widespread practice. That along with refused pre-orders explains why dealers have Zs for sale while preorders from March and April have not been filled.
Old 11-09-2002, 07:48 PM
jreiter

Originally posted by ares
preorders were not first come first delivered. nissan never said they were this is something people assumed.

i got my Z 2 weeks ago no presale at MSRP. the dealer still has 2 like this left . walk in drive out

Yup, my local dealer here usually has 2 or 3 sitting on the lot at any given time. You can walk in and drive one out at any time you choose. They always seem to be silver touring models, though, so if you wanted something else you'd probably have to wait.
Old 11-09-2002, 07:58 PM
nanhead

I've found a bunch in San Diego for sale at MSRP, but nothing that I'm specifically looking for. That's the only problem really...
Old 11-10-2002, 03:05 PM
Curious350z

thanks guys, looks like I'm gonna have to go down to San Diego and get one. Hope they got the touring 6speed, because I want the leather
Old 11-10-2002, 03:29 PM
importriders

All those planning to go to SD. Dont be so fast. I would call ahead. I ordered my Z(SS Performance) in Sept. from Mossy in Kearny Mesa and told them to call me if any SS Performance, Touring, or Track came in. I would buy it if any did. It's Nov. now and haven't received one call. Kpoon, if you just recently got your car(like in the past week) then it was definitely a cancelled pre-order. I was at Kearny not to long ago and they had a SS ethusiast and a redline base. The base is gone and so is the SS. But now they have a CS auto. So bottom line it all depends on what you want, and if someone has cancelled or the dealer gets an allocation. I want a SS 6MT Performance or higher, and I call all the dealers here once a week to see if they get anything close. No luck so far. So do not think that SD has alot of Z's on the lot, we don't.

Last edited by importriders; 11-10-2002 at 03:31 PM.