Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z350 or G35C dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2002, 11:35 PM
Zzyzx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Z350 or G35C dilemma

I made the mistake of going down to the Infiniti dealership last weekend to look at the G35C. I like it about as much as I like the 350Z but in a different way & for different reaons. I need you guys' help in figuring out what to do.....

350Z: Mine is on order for January Delivery, have Order number but no other info. I like because: Purist Sports car, more performance then G35C, more eye-catching looks.

G35C: One dealer will have a car in 2-3 weeks in the color/config I would want for MSRP. I like because: Infiniti Service/Warranty, better interior (wife likes more), more mature styling (read less eye-catching means less likely to get tickets: I like driving fast), less insurance.

No. of seats etc. isn't an issue. But because I do a lot of driving (some times as much as 800-1000 miles a week) the practicallity has to enter into the equation. While my heart wants the 350Z's stick-shift, styling & performance more, my brain is telling me the G35C AT is much more easy to live with (I want VDC & TCS).

I know asking this question in a 350Z forum is going to get me biased answers, but I believe there are plenty of members here who will point out things I have not even considered.

What should I do? :-\
Old 11-08-2002, 11:52 PM
350zpower

hmmmmmm .. sounds to me that you would love the Z for the first couple weeks/months .. but the rougher ride and more sport oriented driving might get tiring for you.

you may want to listen to your smarter side or you may end up incurring the wrath of your "brain"

honestly though you cant go wrong with either choice.
Old 11-09-2002, 09:50 AM
Zzyzx

bump.

Help someone talke me out of one or another
Old 11-09-2002, 11:24 AM
Slexis200

well i can tell you the insurance difference is negligible. You will get a ticket if your driving fast, they wont pull you over more or less with your dirving a sports coupe or sports car. The Infiniti has much better service. Theyre both nice. I think the Zoutside is nicer, not to say the Infiniti isnt nice. The G35C with 18's is hot! Now those are nice wheels..... Get the G35C if you need practicallity of 4 seats, reguardless of how small they are. The Z is if youve got no kids, or its you second car. I fall into the first category and im loving it. But the bottom line is you cant go wrong eaither way. Alsoi i think the G gives you alittle more for your $$
Old 11-09-2002, 02:38 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

With two great choices, you can't make a wrong one.

I've been driving my Z for 3 days in OC, and I love it. BUT it's a rough ride. I might have been happier with the G for that reason. But I still don't regret getting the Z at all either.

And it seems to me the streets in LA are even slightly worse than here, unless it's just my imagination. And they're all going to be getting worse, since we went from the 8 billion surplus to 20 or 30 billion in the hole, and yet we re-elected Davis.
Old 11-09-2002, 04:32 PM
NYCZ

Default zz

what about price?

what model Z did you order and how does it compare to the G you looked at?
Old 11-09-2002, 05:33 PM
ganz

IMO, if you are already torn between the two, you should go for the G. Why?

To MOST people, when they put 30K on a car they expect the following: comfort, performance, value. The Z has value and performance, but marginal comfort (what do you expect for a sports car?) . But if you drive as much as you say you do, I think the G is more tame, more daily commute-worthy, and will probably please your wife while giving you that healthy dose of adrenaline every time you mash that pedal (it has Z internals, after all). I doubt you will regret your decision either way... If you want me to convince you, how about I say - "Infiniti luxury with Z performance"?

Good luck!
Old 11-09-2002, 07:06 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

"Infiniti luxury with Z performance" and practically the same price too.
Old 11-09-2002, 07:53 PM
drake3

I went to the Infiniti dealer today to see if I made the right choice by putting my deposit down on my Z.

I like blue. The Daytona 350 will be my 4th blue car. I can honestly say that whoever selected the shade of blue for the G35 should be whacked. What were they thinking? That has to be one of the ugliest shades of blue I have seen in a while. It should not be on a car. Maybe on the outside of a sports drink bottle, but not on a car as good looking as the G35.

I looked in the trunk. Wow, has to be a record for the smallest trunk in a car. I think the boot in the last Z3 I drove was bigger. But I may find the strut brace in the Z a little confining too.

I sat in the cockpit. Mmmmm, nice seats, cozy, comfortable. Wait, I am 6'1" and my head was hitting the sunroof cover at a good driving position. I don't want to have to lean back to drive comfortably. I know I won't in the Z, already tested that. The illuminated dash was cool. I like the flourescent illumination of the stereo better than the LCD display of the Z. Those are really small nitpicks.

Back to the outside. For some reason the front end of both Gs, sedan and coupe, looking from the front really turns me off.

Big pluses - sunroof, Brembos (as none with my Touring), 4 seats and Infiniti customer satisfaction with service. Tough choice, but I cannot wait to get my third Z!

Drake.
Old 11-09-2002, 10:55 PM
mike952

Default Re: Z350 or G35C dilemma

Trust me,

I did the exact same thing. Was debating it for months...then 2-3 dayd before Z delivery I test drove a G35-Coupe; I loved the body, the look, etc of the Coupe.

Went to Nissan to get the Z...knowing I can just turn it down and get the G35. Images of the G35 faded immediatly once I saw my Z wrapped in plastic and ready for pickup after a quick PDI.

And to this day (4 days owning it so far)...I am really glad I got the Z instead of the G35C. Infact, I went to the autoshow today...and saw the G35 coupe again...it's sporty but at quick glance is indistinguishable in general characteristics with some otehr 2 door coups from Lexus or other Brands.

Also at the autoshow, although there was only 1 G35C available for sitting in, I was able to sit with waiting just 1 min or so for the current person to exit the car. Nissan on the other hand had 4 Z's available for sitting in...and each one had a line of about 3-5 people to sit in; I simply wanted to feel the shifter to compare it to mine ...so I quickly sat in the passenger side to avoid the lines.

My 2 cents.

Originally posted by Zzyzx
I made the mistake of going down to the Infiniti dealership last weekend to look at the G35C. I like it about as much as I like the 350Z but in a different way & for different reaons. I need you guys' help in figuring out what to do.....

350Z: Mine is on order for January Delivery, have Order number but no other info. I like because: Purist Sports car, more performance then G35C, more eye-catching looks.

G35C: One dealer will have a car in 2-3 weeks in the color/config I would want for MSRP. I like because: Infiniti Service/Warranty, better interior (wife likes more), more mature styling (read less eye-catching means less likely to get tickets: I like driving fast), less insurance.

No. of seats etc. isn't an issue. But because I do a lot of driving (some times as much as 800-1000 miles a week) the practicallity has to enter into the equation. While my heart wants the 350Z's stick-shift, styling & performance more, my brain is telling me the G35C AT is much more easy to live with (I want VDC & TCS).

I know asking this question in a 350Z forum is going to get me biased answers, but I believe there are plenty of members here who will point out things I have not even considered.

What should I do? :-\
Old 11-10-2002, 12:21 AM
z461

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....628#post113628

Check my post on why the 350Z is better, I did a side by side test drive of the G35C 6-spd and my 350z...
Old 11-10-2002, 09:14 AM
kroams

It all boils down to do you want a 2+2 sports coupe similar to the MB coupes or do you want a raw sports car like a Boxster S.
Old 11-10-2002, 11:11 AM
jimflash

To me, the Z is like that hot chick you date for a couple months and the GC is like the girl you marry. If this perception is widespread, this explains the general demographics of who is buying the one v. the other. Debates over which is better are settled by the ideal held by each individual. For me, the brace in the Z is a perfect example. If you are willing to lose a chunk of practicality for a marginal gain in handling performance, then go with the Z. If you are like me and want to stow luggage and golf clubs and do more with the car than street race, then the G is the way to go. What is right for me is wrong for a Z driver. Both are great cars and the actual differences between them are relatively small. The important thing is to recognize what is right for you. Oh the trajedy of choosing incorrectly! Seriously, some of the stress of the forum may be the result of a short supply of the cars everybody wants. Watch what happens to the forum after supply and demand level out. Hope this helped Zzyzx. Enjoy your ride!

"A patient man is often rewarded."
Old 11-10-2002, 01:45 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

I could just flip a coin, and be perfectly happy either way. One of the things I actually like better about the G35 is just blending in.
Old 11-10-2002, 03:33 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Originally posted by drake3
I like blue. The Daytona 350 will be my 4th blue car. I can honestly say that whoever selected the shade of blue for the G35 should be whacked. What were they thinking? That has to be one of the ugliest shades of blue I have seen in a while. It should not be on a car. Maybe on the outside of a sports drink bottle, but not on a car as good looking as the G35.
Ain't that the truth! I am wanting a blue car after currently owning multiple black vehicles, but if I decide to go with the G35C, I'll have to get black again because of that ugly blue. I will say it looks much better in person, but I wouldn't buy it.

I think the G35C is the better buy with the longer warranty and higher option content, but I'm still leaning Z. I figure I'll order one or the other in the December order period, it may be down to if I can get anybody to give me a slightly better deal (throw in something like tint, clear bra, etc even if they won't come off of MSRP)

BTW, I'm 6'1", too, and had no problems when I drove the G35C with headroom, and the car had a sunroof. I do have a 34" inseam, though, so my body may be shorter than whoever had problems (or we may like our seat differently). The weird thing is the bottom of the G35C seat seemed tighter than the Z. I was hoping to drive a Z on the same day for some back to back comparisons, but they sold the one they were going to let me drive the day before.