Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Initial 350Z driving impressions from an S2000 owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2002, 07:09 PM
Chris S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Initial 350Z driving impressions from an S2000 owner

Thanks to Articfury, I got to drive a 350Z Track model today, and was very impressed. Here's a quick comparison vs. my S2000. I won't address areas that everyone knows.

Finish:
A fair of orange peel in the paint. S2000 seems higher quality here.

Powertrain:
Plenty of power and torque - it moves. Pretty close in full throttle acceleration, but the Z has a clear advantage in roll-ons. The S2000's shifter and clutch engagement were clearly superior.

Handling:
The Z felt very capable, but not nearly as agile as the S2000. The Z felt like it had more idiot-proof handling, esp. w/ TCS/VDC engaged. The S2000 feels like it's charged up on a caffeine overdose in comparison. Nice steering feel...Nissan def. paid attention not to over-assist it.

Comfort/refinement:
The Z has a big lead here. The Z interior had plenty of room for me, and was reasonably quiet. The longer wheelbase/wider track allowed for a good ride for the level of handling. Seats were very comfortable. The stereo sucked almost as bad as I remember my S2000's when it was stock.

Afterwards, I went for a short drive in my S2000, and had more fun in it...I'm sure part of the difference was conservatism due to driving someone else's car and being topless in the beautiful weather we had today. Nonetheless, the Z was awesome, and would make a much better all-around, everyday car. It'll def. be at or near the top of my list when (if?) I'm ready to try something else.

I've been thinking of an M3 for my next car (not anytime soon), but this seems to have many similar positive attributes at a much more attractive price. Too bad I can't have both an S2000 and a 350Z!
Old 11-09-2002, 07:48 PM
droideka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the review. Two points I'd like to touch on...

1. Orange Peel - Looked at a black S2K today on a used lot that had just as much orange as any Z I've looked at. Because Honda and Nissan probably use almost identical robotic painting methods, I think the level of orange peel on any given vehicle is pretty much hit or miss. Some of us are luckier than others.

2. I'd love to drive an S2K and feel the difference in shifter/clutch from my Z. I'm a Honda guy (have owned four of them) and have to admit that jumping back into my wife's Civic and throwing that rubbery shifter around is actually quite pleasureable compared to slamming gears in my 350. Unforutunately, it appears I'm starting to have to apply a LOT MORE pressure to get it into gear at high (post 6K) RPMs. No grinding or noises, but it is becoming more difficult.

Now obviously there's a lot of difference between an FWD tranny vs. the RWD Z, but the linkage and engagement is not a class-leader like we were lead to believe it would be.
Old 11-09-2002, 08:54 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

first try tho its pretty damn good. but I even tried my old 318i BMW with a 5spd on a rwd car. and Its crazy. the clutch is much harder to push, it engages at the VERY top compared to the Z where its almost full length, but like... a little at the bottom, then its a quick jump to lik 95% engages, then the last 5%. anyone know what Im talking about?

and shifting on it? haha, I can feel myself bend the shifter when I do the gears. its crazy how much less force it takes and I never noticed it. the Z gears really are tough and touchy, but that may just be a sign of a sports car. the car Im comparing is hardly such a thing.
Old 11-09-2002, 09:25 PM
^Tyr

ok my review i've TEST driven both the s2000 and the 350z,, never driven either for extended periods of time but i did get on BOTH pretty hard in some bendy road area (not overly bendy indiana is flat)

Handling
S2k feels like a very modified gsr suspension its tight and firm and doesnt like bunps all that much but its still definatly a very doable drive on the road (not TOO tight)
Z about the same level of high speed grip but doesnt feel as tossible.. feels like its been dumbed down and softened up for american drivers

Accelleration
S2k tricky off a launch i didnt want to do a high rpm drop or anything,,, much more fun getting on it from a roll,, very rough on edge abusive accell,, I LIKE
Z torque lots of it.. i didnt have much time to get accustomed, but wow.. feels much smother through the rev range but very capable anywhere, its a car you dont have to downshift to go faster with

Braking
S2k feels like a light car w/ good brakes.. stops well again didnt drive long enough to experience fade or anything.. but feels very confident and stable under hard braking. definatly a lighter feel to the car
Z touchy, the brakes were touchy but they were also much stronger,, due to a heaveier car.. measurement wise thier probably similar,, but it feels like the Z has to try MUCH harder, but you dont, the driver has easy modulation over teh brakes and they work quite well ,, again i[m talking about the feel of the car under braking

i havent driven that s2k for about 5 months, andthe z i drove about 3 weeks ago.. so ya neither are fresh in my head at all, but they were both distinctive cars enoughso for me to remeber which i liked more (THE Z) but for a track day once in a while or for a fun weekend machine the S2k is a great car for the money,, just very differnt animals

side note :
i also test drove a Z3 w/ the 3.0 (not the M),, i didnt like it at all
brakes were mushy and felt overwhelmed by the cars weight. too much body roll, the clutch ... well its a bmw clutch i'm not a big fan, i had to have my knee close to my chest to release it (but i'm tall) way to much travel in the clutch. power... felt torqy,, at least moreso than the s2k, but it was a car made for an older audience, id idnt feel like i was involved with the car enough. i felt like a passenger when driving it.

plz dont flame me.. these are my personal observations and what i'm basing my purchase off of

the z was a touring model. the s2k was stock but had the body kit add on (dont know what its called, had a lip and spoiler, sideskirts and i think a body peice on teh rear as well but cant remember)
Old 11-09-2002, 09:54 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

I was so happy when I first saw my Z, because I didn't notice any orange peel. And I'm very touchy about that.

(OT: After break in, I can compare it to an M. I wouldn't even bother with a Z3, or Z4, from the sound of it, until they make that into an M. So far, I can just say the M feels smoother than the Z, probably because it's a hand-made I6; lighter; and more agile. But it's also smaller and costs more, although it will retain more value, and it's ugly to some.)
Old 11-09-2002, 10:57 PM
^Tyr

are you talking about the z3m, the mcoupe or the m3?
Old 11-18-2002, 08:24 PM
articfury
Charter Member #55

Chris,

I can't believe I missed this post. That's my car he's talking about lol anyway, I am glad that you enjoyed the drive. Just wait 'til I get to drive your S

I still think it would be interesting to see your comments after driving a Z in a driving event.

Thanks for posting your experience.

JD
Old 11-18-2002, 09:39 PM
Chris S

Originally posted by articfury
Chris,

I can't believe I missed this post. That's my car he's talking about lol anyway, I am glad that you enjoyed the drive. Just wait 'til I get to drive your S

I still think it would be interesting to see your comments after driving a Z in a driving event.

Thanks for posting your experience.

JD
I was surprised you never responded! (BTW, I also posted this on S2ki.com). You're welcome to try my S2000 whenever - it'll be interesting to hear your impressions. So are you offering to let me take your Z to a driving event?