Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

difference in auto and stick

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 04:30 PM
1sick350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default difference in auto and stick

Im just curious about the difference in the auto vs stick when it comes to the amount of power difference and torque. If there is a difference is it noticble wen ur hitting the throttle. Ive only been in a 6 speed and i just was curious if they feels the same. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:09 PM
JonsilvZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When your already in gear its the same. But when shifting the manual has a snappy feel when dropping the clutch.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:15 PM
1sick350

Originally posted by JonsilvZ
When your already in gear its the same. But when shifting the manual has a snappy feel when dropping the clutch.
So overall its gonna feel the same in power feedback, and pul u to the seat just as easily? casue ive never been in a auto z and i wanna no if it feels just as torquey. lots of stop and go traffic in nj and ct so i might get the auto.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:26 PM
JonsilvZ

I do drive my Z hard so I put it in manual mode. The Z has plenty of low and mid end tq. But when you go past 4500rpm the valve timing kicks in and pulls harder to redline.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:44 PM
julian

even if it's in gear the auto will still be slower. more transmission loss through the fluid. the manual will obviously be faster overall since it has shorter steps between shifts.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:55 PM
JonsilvZ

Originally posted by julian
even if it's in gear the auto will still be slower. more transmission loss through the fluid. the manual will obviously be faster overall since it has shorter steps between shifts.
Ive raced a friend of mine who has a 6spd Z. We did a 3rd gear roll. Right at the instant we were even. But later on he started to creep fwd. Its because of the gearing. This happened when I was stock.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:55 PM
FairladyZ

Actually in a DRAG race 9 outta 10 auto's are quicker.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:57 PM
FairladyZ

Originally posted by JonsilvZ
Ive raced a friend of mine who has a 6spd Z. We did a 3rd gear roll. Right at the instant we were even. But later on he started to creep fwd. Its because of the gearing. This happened when I was stock.
Exactly, we have a shorter gear for better accelleration (sp), but it hurts us in the top end.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:59 PM
JonsilvZ

I bet you if the auto Z has the same gearing as the 6spd. It would be quicker.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:03 PM
JonsilvZ

Originally posted by FairladyZ
Exactly, we have a shorter gear for better accelleration (sp), but it hurts us in the top end.
You mean the 6spd has shorter gears.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:16 PM
FairladyZ

no the higher the number numerically the shorter the gear.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:18 PM
orhanz33

stick is more fun to drive
Old 01-27-2005, 09:35 PM
Aggro_Al

The Z uses a torque converter with lock-ups. When the torque converter is locked, there is no hydraulic loss. A locked TC is less likely to slip than a standard transmission. The 6MT needs more gears because the gear ratios are mechanically fixed. In general, more gears allow a standard transmission to stay in its performance range more often. The 5AT has a torque converter. When the torque converter is unlocked it has the abillity to gear down through a range without physically changing the gear. The torque converter can create infinitely variable adjustability within a range on a given gear. The gears in the 5AT are taller because it can use torque multiplication to create the equivalent of having variable shorter gears.

The only significant difference between the 6MT and the 5AT is the final drive ratio. The 6MT comes stock with a shorter FD than the 5AT so on a dyno the 6MT will have a slight advantage on the high end of the RPMs. The 5AT in the mid and low ends have better torque management than the 6MT because of the torque converter. Both the 5AT and the 6MT are about equal in overall performance. In the Z, it's all about the driver.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:02 PM
Risk

+1 ....I traded a G35c 5at in for my 350z 6mt. The pull is the same with both trannys, what makes the 6mt so much quicker though (and yes, it IS quicker) is the addition of 1 more gear, thereby making the gears shorter with considerable help from the final drive ratio. This is especially noticed with the 2-3 and 3-4 shifts, it just stays in the powerband better than the 5at does. I understand that the g35 is a couple hundred pounds heavier and has a longer wheelbase, but the rev happy powerband is key with ANY 300hp V6 and the 6mt just stays in it better.

Last edited by Risk; 01-27-2005 at 11:07 PM.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:08 PM
Aggro_Al

Originally posted by Risk
+1 ....I traded a G35c 5at in for my 350z 6mt. The pull is the same with both trannys, what makes the 6mt so much quicker though (and yes, it IS quicker) is the addition of 1 more gear
I would hope that the 350Z 6MT is faster than the G35C 5AT, the Z is lighter and more powerful than the G. Drive a 350Z 5AT and a G35C 5AT and you'll see that the transmission are slightly different. The shift algorithms for the Z are more aggressive than the G and those extra pounds do make a big difference on how both cars feel. The G may not be slower but it will feel like it.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:17 PM
Poison123
Google Bot

I think more than a few 5AT have proven their faster in the straight line than 6MT. Stock to Stock.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:51 PM
Risk

Originally posted by Poison123
I think more than a few 5AT have proven their faster in the straight line than 6MT. Stock to Stock.

LOL...now THATS a stretch man.
Old 01-29-2005, 01:02 AM
cwerdna

Huh? I'm not sure I buy that. There's more driveline loss on an auto. I've seen better times from mags and various people on here w/manuals. The same thing w/the various people on maxima.org held true on Maximas.

However, I could imagine that a fair # of people might not be able to drive their 6MT well enough to beat a guy w/an auto since the latter guy doesn't have to do that much work.

Auto owners will have the benefit of consistency though and if you're bracket racing, it'd really help. (I've never done bracket racing, only straight drags [grudge matches?].)
Old 01-29-2005, 10:50 AM
TELCO119

Sorry man, pick up any copy of Car and Diver/Road and Track/etc. Any vehicle they test is done with a manual (Providing manual is available on the model of course). It is done for a reason. With a manual, you can always keep the RPM's in the powerband, effectively putting more power to the ground. This effect is really noticeable when testing skidpad/roadhandling/braking/etc. With an auto, the time spent waiting for the RPM's to catch up means time (speed) lost.

It is true that the automatic shifts faster, but the difference in gearing makes the manual a couple of ticks quicker. (Once again providing the driver is experienced).
Old 01-29-2005, 12:09 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well theoreticly, stick is faster. no matter what, that torque converter is spinning in the fluid, along with lots of other stuff; and that is drag. go dyno a automatic and come back telling me its the same, its roughly 15-20hp less actually. and that is not particularly debatable.

in the real world, an auto shifts very quick, and never misses, for that reason, its faster. and when you get into race type situations, the shifts come by so fast, youd never get them done. an auto is nescessary with very tight shifting. top fuel dragsters are automatic to my knowledge. try shifting through the gears in 5sec... no way. their shifts are damn near instant though; in regular driving, youd get tossed out of your seats if you tranny shifted that fast.

Quick Reply: difference in auto and stick