Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stalling

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2002, 03:13 PM
dragonbz99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stalling

im a new manual driver and i stall out sometimes on hills.. but is it bad for your car because it doestn feel liek anythign is grinding or anythign. and it sounds jsut liek the engine is turning off.. can you guys tell me if im liek killing anythign unfixable in my car or not?
Old 11-10-2002, 03:25 PM
ToddLuc

Default Re: stalling

Originally posted by dragonbz99
im a new manual driver and i stall out sometimes on hills.. but is it bad for your car because it doestn feel liek anythign is grinding or anythign. and it sounds jsut liek the engine is turning off.. can you guys tell me if im liek killing anythign unfixable in my car or not?
A relatively easy way to learn the stick on a hill is to use the e-brake. Using the brake will give you complete time and control to start off a hill. Eventually, you will not need the e-brake.
Old 11-10-2002, 05:01 PM
glenng6

You have to find a place where you can practice starting on a hill. A large parking lot with varying degrees of steepness are best. You should also learn the e-brake trick. I don't care how long you've been driving a stick. There are times when it will come in handy. Stop on a hill, apply the e-brake, depress the clutch, put the car in gear, step on the gas and slowly release the clutch. When you feel the car is ready to move release the e-brake. If you've done it correctly you should take off with very little rearward roll.

Glenn
Old 11-10-2002, 05:02 PM
WayneTN

Originally posted by dragonbz99
can you guys tell me if im liek killing anythign unfixable in my car or not?
You shouldn't really be hurting anything unless you're really popping out the clutch. That type of jerking on the power train will add wear to it, but it's made to take a lot of abuse anyway. Just practice more on less-steep hills and, like ToddLuc says, use the e-brake on hills while you're starting and slowly release it to get going.

Remember that the first inch or so of clutch pedal release does nothing, so release it an inch or so fairly quickly, then by feathering the clutch and gas through the next couple of inches slowly and smoothly, you should have a good start (don't rush it!). Then the last inch or two of clutch pedal release can be done fairly quickly, just like the first inch or two. Remember: slowly through the middle of the clutch pedal release.

You can watch the tach to make sure the RPMs don't drop too much during takeoff, but you ultimately need to learn just by hearing the engine and then just by feel.

HTH. Keep practicing!
WayneTN
Old 11-10-2002, 05:36 PM
dragonbz99

oh cool thanks
Old 11-11-2002, 11:01 AM
ddtreadway

I hadn't driven a stick for a while, but this car is very easy to drive. My girlfriend also hasn't been in a manual transmission car for a while, and she has stalled it a couple of times. I don't think she's hurting anything, but I think she gets scared that I'll be mad. No chance!