Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

when will the Hype die down, Need CAR!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2002, 05:11 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default when will the Hype die down, Need CAR!!

I have been watching the evolution of the Z, and 2 years ago I stood in AWE of it at the LA autoshow, last year the real thing was there (pretty much), I got VIP tickets (explain later) for Friday, I headed straight to the Z and just looked at it for hours (literally),and everybody that looked at it, I almost felt like telling them to go away and stop stairing at my baby.

I was unable to order one (do to my financial situation, over 100K in debt and don't make a whole lot of $$$ for the car). I sat and heard about everybody ordering them, but now that I hear actual stories about the car AND actually see the cars on the road, I am going CRAZY!! MY 94 Honda is on its last leg, and I am now working 3 jobs to get out of debt quicker, but also am getting approval from the boss (wife) that maybe we should get one (a Base or enthusiest model). I am a HUGE car freak and grew up loving sports cars, now a 27K sports car comes out and I am stoked.

Now for the weird twist (and I certainly don't expect any sympathy on this, so don't take it wrong). My family owns a Nissan dealer (along with a few other partners, NO I don't see any of the profits, so don't go there) and I normally get cars at dealer cost (of course). Well now we are in a situation where the dealer only gets a couple a month, and everyone they get in is immediately sold, they have a list of 30-40 people that they go down and call, when one appears. Some people jump on it, others say "no thank you" and others have already gotten a car at another dealer or have decided against it (in other words, all 30-40 people will NOT end up with one from our dealership).

The next problem is that the car is in such big demand that I must wait and see what happens in the next few months and get one when the hype dies down and the dealer can justify getting one from me (it needs to count against the dealers allocation).

Before you jump and think that I am some punk kid who has rich parents and know NOTHING about the car and just want to jump in front of other Z enthusiests just to get the car, that couldn't be a more wrong assessment. I love the car and am a consumer just like anyone else, who just happens to get the car at a "deal". Plus I am far from "just a kid" too.

Obviously this is a situation where it is nice to have the connections, but at the sametime, it kind of sucks, since I would be willing to pay retail, BUT that would really be hard to justify when you really think about it and really look pretty childish (being impatient and all).

so the main Question, when willl the hype die down and all the people on the list have either gotten their cars or found other alternatives (I did hear that Nov they were supposed to UP production a bit). another issue is that I will need to order the car so I get the specific car I want (and I am sure that will take a few months as well). I am starting to think that it may be 5-6 months before I actually get one (but am hoping for 3-4)

Thought??

Please NO flames, I am just like you GUYS a HUGE Z fan!!!

sorry for the long post
Old 11-16-2002, 05:20 PM
rjsmit1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No one knows for sure when the hype will die down, but I think that the signs of it are already showing. There are many instances told of people on MY350Z.com being able to get a Z at MSRP on short notice. Some have no had to wait for their pre-order to come in. That suggests that we could see sub-MSRP pricing in the near term. I would guess that we will see that in the first quarter of 2003.

(Don't read this next part if you don't like preaching)...

The real question is whether you want to add another $30k onto what is already a pile of debt. I admire the fact that you are working 3 jobs to get rid of your debt. Do you really want to add more debt until you have this amount worked down? I really like the Z as well, but haven't placed an order because I want to have a very small car loan on the Z. It's a discretionary purchase. That may take another couple more years. In the mean time, I am driving an old beater and enjoying the fact that when it breaks, I have cash to repair it. There's nothing as painful as being so strapped for cash that every unexpected expense is a major challenge. To a large extent, your liquidity is a function of the cost of your housing and the cost of your cars. In some cases, there are other things like business debt, college loans, child support, etc. that add to the grief, but the house and car are somewhat controllable. If I were you, I would wait. The Z will still be there, and it will probably get better with time. It may get a little more expensive, but you can save up faster than the price will increase. If waiting is hard, think about those guys on this board who have bought their Z's and have immediately had wrecks, vandalism, and various mechanical problems. I would feel all the more awful if I got deep in debt for the car and had that happen to me. Maybe the anticipation will be better than the realization in this case. I wish you well.
Old 11-16-2002, 05:32 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

once again, I walked into a dealer and drove out in a black touring 3 weeks ago. paid MSRP. end of story. the dealer was asking 1000 over, but all I did was ask, and the manager said sure MSRP.

you just gotta look.

by the way, that dealer still had 3 on the lot for sale last weekend. down from 8 2 weeks before when I was there.
Old 11-16-2002, 07:19 PM
spf4000

Originally posted by rjsmit1
No one knows for sure when the hype will die down, but I think that the signs of it are already showing. There are many instances told of people on MY350Z.com being able to get a Z at MSRP on short notice. Some have no had to wait for their pre-order to come in. That suggests that we could see sub-MSRP pricing in the near term. I would guess that we will see that in the first quarter of 2003.

(Don't read this next part if you don't like preaching)...

The real question is whether you want to add another $30k onto what is already a pile of debt. I admire the fact that you are working 3 jobs to get rid of your debt. Do you really want to add more debt until you have this amount worked down? I really like the Z as well, but haven't placed an order because I want to have a very small car loan on the Z. It's a discretionary purchase. That may take another couple more years. In the mean time, I am driving an old beater and enjoying the fact that when it breaks, I have cash to repair it. There's nothing as painful as being so strapped for cash that every unexpected expense is a major challenge. To a large extent, your liquidity is a function of the cost of your housing and the cost of your cars. In some cases, there are other things like business debt, college loans, child support, etc. that add to the grief, but the house and car are somewhat controllable. If I were you, I would wait. The Z will still be there, and it will probably get better with time. It may get a little more expensive, but you can save up faster than the price will increase. If waiting is hard, think about those guys on this board who have bought their Z's and have immediately had wrecks, vandalism, and various mechanical problems. I would feel all the more awful if I got deep in debt for the car and had that happen to me. Maybe the anticipation will be better than the realization in this case. I wish you well.
What a great post. Listen to his advice, rodH. The last thing you want to do is add to your mammoth debt. The car can wait. Who knows, maybe by the time you pay down your debt enough to afford the car, the Z might be even better!
Old 11-16-2002, 08:57 PM
DrAxe

The difference between rich people and the truly wealthy is how they handle thier debt. I have had a 6 figure job for over 7 years now, but I am still unable to afford a Z quite yet.

Sound insane?

lemme splain...

Debts are negatives. They earn you no monaaaay. After 10 years of college, 110k debt is what I was looking at. I am still working that debt off, and will be for some time to come. Also, invest in real estate. If you are living in an appartment MOVE. TOMORROW. Really. Get a house. (Taxes!!)

Get out of debt.

I will be getting a Z in about another 10 months. Not because I can't get a loan, or cant make the payments.. but because anything worth having, is worth waiting for. That includes your credit rating, hahah.

Tacking on a 30k car now would be the easy thing to do. Be STRONG.
Old 11-16-2002, 09:07 PM
z461

I think it depends where you are... If you live in the middle of nowhere, or cities where there isn't that big of a demand for nicer cars then the Z will be cheaper. Out here in Los Angeles there's still 5-10 thousand markups... But of course Los Angeles is the city of cars and people are more than willing to pay that amount to get a Z.
Old 11-16-2002, 09:25 PM
mark754

Why don't you wait a year, make some money, pay off some debt, then buy a used '03 Z for $20k or so.

Even if you were to wait 6 months, I have a feeling the hype will have died down by then and you'll probably be able to cut a deal on a new one. By then, we'll probably know what improvements the '04 will have and dealers will be trying to unload their remaining '03's.
Old 11-16-2002, 10:16 PM
rodH

let me explain my self a bit more.

I am no longer $116k in debt, I am living at my parents home (I have a wife and 2 kids, but my family has a large HOME so it isn't a problem. I am almost 33 years old, and with the 3 jobs I now have and living at home (no house payment and 2 cars, with NO car payment, yet) I am tripling up my loan payments so I get out of debt in 3 years instead of 10 (I only have 2 years left at this rate). It does sound lame being 33 and have a family and live at home, BUT I feel lucky to not have to dump my $$ into an apartment. My dad and mom are all for it and don't think it is a stupid idea at all, they know I have worked my butt off in school to finally get my masters degree and where I am now, and at some point you just need to "treat" yourself or reward yourself to something.

My 94 honda is on its last leg, so it MUST go soon. Being a 33 year old professional and driving a Honda Civic is kind of akward as well. I just added another day of work (another job) so I am making $600+ more a month than I was 2 weeks ago and I just got a small raise from work (my normal job) that equal another $100 more a month. My wife maybe making another $100-200 a month more soon too.

sorry for the long post, just thought I'd clear things up
Old 11-16-2002, 10:22 PM
rodH

btw, the situation goes like this

Get the Z at dealer cost (Base or enthusiest), sell my honda for $6k for down payment. SO the debt is not quit the $35k+ debt people are getting into.
Old 11-16-2002, 11:38 PM
z461

This whole thing sounds sketch.
Old 11-17-2002, 12:37 AM
DrAxe

Anna Nicohle Smith.

Thats what you are gonna be stuck with.

your debt is gonna eat you, like Anna on a bagel.

GET OUT OF DEBT.

then buy a sports car.

get real.

I am nibbling on the same reality saltine.
Old 11-17-2002, 02:44 AM
TheFuture

Default Re: when will the Hype die down, Need CAR!!

Originally posted by rodH
I have been watching the evolution of the Z, and 2 years ago I stood in AWE of it at the LA autoshow, last year the real thing was there (pretty much), I got VIP tickets (explain later) for Friday, I headed straight to the Z and just looked at it for hours (literally),and everybody that looked at it, I almost felt like telling them to go away and stop stairing at my baby.

I was unable to order one (do to my financial situation, over 100K in debt and don't make a whole lot of $$$ for the car). I sat and heard about everybody ordering them, but now that I hear actual stories about the car AND actually see the cars on the road, I am going CRAZY!! MY 94 Honda is on its last leg, and I am now working 3 jobs to get out of debt quicker, but also am getting approval from the boss (wife) that maybe we should get one (a Base or enthusiest model). I am a HUGE car freak and grew up loving sports cars, now a 27K sports car comes out and I am stoked.

Now for the weird twist (and I certainly don't expect any sympathy on this, so don't take it wrong). My family owns a Nissan dealer (along with a few other partners, NO I don't see any of the profits, so don't go there) and I normally get cars at dealer cost (of course). Well now we are in a situation where the dealer only gets a couple a month, and everyone they get in is immediately sold, they have a list of 30-40 people that they go down and call, when one appears. Some people jump on it, others say "no thank you" and others have already gotten a car at another dealer or have decided against it (in other words, all 30-40 people will NOT end up with one from our dealership).

The next problem is that the car is in such big demand that I must wait and see what happens in the next few months and get one when the hype dies down and the dealer can justify getting one from me (it needs to count against the dealers allocation).

Before you jump and think that I am some punk kid who has rich parents and know NOTHING about the car and just want to jump in front of other Z enthusiests just to get the car, that couldn't be a more wrong assessment. I love the car and am a consumer just like anyone else, who just happens to get the car at a "deal". Plus I am far from "just a kid" too.

Obviously this is a situation where it is nice to have the connections, but at the sametime, it kind of sucks, since I would be willing to pay retail, BUT that would really be hard to justify when you really think about it and really look pretty childish (being impatient and all).

so the main Question, when willl the hype die down and all the people on the list have either gotten their cars or found other alternatives (I did hear that Nov they were supposed to UP production a bit). another issue is that I will need to order the car so I get the specific car I want (and I am sure that will take a few months as well). I am starting to think that it may be 5-6 months before I actually get one (but am hoping for 3-4)

Thought??

Please NO flames, I am just like you GUYS a HUGE Z fan!!!

sorry for the long post
Dude First off Chill, and Relax
Here is the Deal, get another beater or vehicle that is reliable to get you back and forth to work. Wait about 2 years be4 getting the Z, then in 2005 buy a used 2003 one
It's just if you buy now, with all that debt it will make you credit look like $hit I mean crap and the interest rate will eat U alive and spit U out. You may not get appoved for financing ? Just wait
till things are better for you.

I also want a Z but I have to wait cause, was a Network Engineer making $75,500 a year, living freakn plush, single, had a company expense account, and Nextel was on my way to becoming a IT Manager or Director. I got a Altima and a 2000 SS Camaro vert but My company did 3 rounds of layoff and I got hit on the thrid round when they Shut the entire building down.
I am so upside down on my Camaro SS vert, I still owe like 24,000 on it, I got screwed over when I bought but I didn't pay much attention cause I was making so much cash. I signed an bought the car for $33,000
The car is worth like $19,000, I owe like 24,000. My new current job as a Network Sys Administrator at a law firm. only pays me like 32,000 a year
Less than half my old salary. So I am just waiting till the time is right, I will pay off the Camaro SS vert then i will then in like 2 years or so I will have saved a lot of money and I will trade the Camaro combined with the money saved and I will drop a big down payment on a Z new or used, Heck maybe a Nismo Z or Turbo Z will out then, I can get that.

what I'm telling U is just wait, a few years then buy one and you can finance a lower payment and still pay bills. Plus in a few year your credit should be better, If I was you, I would just get a car I can afford that is reliable, that is also cheap and buy a Z when you debt is lower.
Old 11-17-2002, 09:17 AM
rodH

z461,

why does it sound "scetchy"

I am in a weird situation were I was in grad school that cost over $25k/year, my Bro in dental school at $36k/year and 2 other siblings in college. My parents have enough money to afford a large home and let us live here (actually they like us here), but not enough disposible income to shell out the above expenses (like some rich little kids in my school).

I work as a Physical Therapist, work (4) 10 hr days, I got 2 other days that I work at other clinics (thus the increase in pay). I at first didn't like working 6 days a week, but then I stopped being selfish and realised that many people who are successful work that much more more to get where they are today, so I just need to "suck it up".

I am trying to get out of debt as fast as I can, that is why I am TRIPLING up my payments (and will still be able to do so, since I got the new job) AND BUY the Z. I have many many friends who went to school with me that are in HUGE debt, live in an Apartment, have 1-2 car payment and consolidated their loans for 20 years!!!!! (yep, so they end up paying almost 2X the origional loan). that is all they can do, no family to help, no way to get to work without a car, etc, etc.... these are very smart people, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

there is something else missing from the story, but it is NOT a done deal yet. I am currently working with 3 other possible situations that I may start another job, be a PT director and get between 10k-15k more a year. I will know more at the beginning of the year. My guess is that at with 3, at least 1 will end up working out (but I don't want to count on that just yet).

the nice thing is that since I really don't want to do it right now anyway, I can wait a few months and see what happens with my job. Even if I ordered a Z, I wouldn't have to put $$ down on it, and If I ended up in a bad situation when it arrived, the dealer would be GALD to take it off my hands. So I have a good 4+ months to worry about it and continue to over triple my payments on my loans.
Old 11-17-2002, 09:28 AM
rodH

btw, credit is NO problem, Me and my wife have credit rating of 800, we never use CCs, and on rare occasions that we do, we pay them off right away, we only use it for internet purchases, NOT b/c we don't have the $$$.

My parents bought a condo and rent it out in our name, so that has ONLY helped get us good credit. My parents do everything they can, just shy of being able to flat out buy me a car or house or pay off my student loans. Infact we don't even pay for food or those type of things b/c my wife does everything around the house and yard (along with her normal job), and my parents pay for the groceries. No biggy, but it sure helps out.
Old 11-17-2002, 10:11 AM
TheFuture

btw, credit is NO problem, Me and my wife have credit rating of 800, we never use CCs, and on rare occasions that we do, we pay them off right away, we only use it for internet purchases, NOT b/c we don't have the $$$.

My parents bought a condo and rent it out in our name, so that has ONLY helped get us good credit. My parents do everything they can, just shy of being able to flat out buy me a car or house or pay off my student loans. Infact we don't even pay for food or those type of things b/c my wife does everything around the house and yard (along with her normal job), and my parents pay for the groceries. No biggy, but it sure helps out.
Dude Best advice to you, is to just wait, cause you will only be in more debt if you get the Z now. If you really need a car get a good cheap reliable car but wait till things are better be4 you buy the Z. 2 jobs is fine but 3 jobs is quite much. so wait until you are more stable
But your gonna do what u want, If I were you I woulld just wait.
Old 11-17-2002, 10:28 AM
rodH

theFuture (and everyone)

Good points

I guess I will do what ever I want, whether it is stupid or not. My Parents really think I should do it, my wife now thinks I should as well. NO ONE understands me and my situtation better than they and myself. remember by the time I sell my car and get the down payment and get the car at wholesale, we are looking at a $20K loan and people in not such great financial situations buy $20k civics all the time. I really may have made a mistake in coming on here and sharing my life story, and should have just stuck with the topic at hand (when will the car be more avail). SOrry to bore all of you. I have time to weigh my options and see what transpires with my new job possiblitites.

Another great thing is that I have a few months before I have to worry about anything, so it will not be a spur of hte moment decision.

Thanks for the advice-ALL

PEACE!!!
Old 11-17-2002, 11:27 AM
themyst

I got my Z off the showroom floor at MSRP... but i shopped virtually everywhere looking for one. I got all sorts of quotes, 1500 over MSRP, 5000 over MSRP, even 10,000 over MSRP... ouch. But one thing's for sure, I think its impossible to get a Track model for MSRP... But I picked up my Performance model for MSRP, so I guess that's good.
Old 11-17-2002, 11:55 AM
hoopjones

theFuture (and everyone)

Good points

I guess I will do what ever I want, whether it is stupid or not. My Parents really think I should do it, my wife now thinks I should as well. NO ONE understands me and my situtation better than they and myself. remember by the time I sell my car and get the down payment and get the car at wholesale, we are looking at a $20K loan and people in not such great financial situations buy $20k civics all the time. I really may have made a mistake in coming on here and sharing my life story, and should have just stuck with the topic at hand (when will the car be more avail). SOrry to bore all of you. I have time to weigh my options and see what transpires with my new job possiblitites.

Another great thing is that I have a few months before I have to worry about anything, so it will not be a spur of hte moment decision.

PEACE!!!

I don't want to sound like I'm flaming you or anything, but don't you think its more important to get out of the 'rents house and buy yourself your own? The Z is a cool car, but it is still only a car. Your not going to be living in it. Anyway, thats just my opinion. Best of luck.

Hoopjones
Old 11-17-2002, 01:30 PM
rjsmit1

I hope that you do not regret sharing your situation on this board. You are clearly a stand up guy who is working three jobs to get out of debt. That takes guts. You are fortunate to have a very supportive family- that is a rare and wonderful thing. I apologize for being so preachy, but I am giving this advice because I think that you are a good person that wants to do the right thing. So, you are hearing from experienced people who want to help you avoid making the same mistakes that we and our friends have made. It may help to make a quick risk management review of basic assumptions that could impact your decision to borrow money:

1) If things get tight financially, can I sell my Z if I need to and not be upside down?
2) Can I reasonably expect to continue to have a good job with increasing compensation to help cover the slowly inflating cost of living? Am I working in a field with a good upside income potential?
3) Will I continue to enjoy good health so that I can keep working for the forseeable future,
4) Will I have enough extra money after my debt obligations are met to set aside cash for unexpected expenses that may be brought on by health problems, car trouble, etc?

So you have to ask yourself how much risk you want to take. How would it affect you if you had a wreck and totalled your Z three months after you bought it? Would you have the means to get another car if the insurance company hands you a settlement that leaves you upside down on your current loan? Will you have the cash flow to replace those expensive 17 or 18 inch tires that this car is likely to consume somewhat quickly, etc.? It may be a good exercise to lay out a spreadsheet of your projected cash in and out flows over the next few years to see how it looks. Maybe a Z will work in just fine. The choice is yours.

To answer your original question, I think that retail pricing for 350z's will soften during the first quarter of 2003. Brown's Nissan in Sterling VA (just outside DC) has had a black track model on the floor for a week that the salesman described to me as being available. It has a ~$1,900 add on sticker. I assume that they have not been able to get an offer for the additional $1,900 yet and I would not be surprised if they let it go for MSRP. If I were in the market today, I would offer them $1,500 off sticker and see if they bite. If they can't pull a premium for a track model today, I would venture to guess that the days of premiums in northern VA are about over. In my opinion, this will soon be followed by discounts that are indicative of supply and demand in equilibrium. Again, I wish you well.

theFuture (and everyone)

Good points

PEACE!!!
Old 11-17-2002, 02:24 PM
^Tyr

"1) If things get tight financially, can I sell my Z if I need to and not be upside down?"

acutally thats a good point. and something i have been telling myself. however anyone have any numbers on what that would be?

I'm looking at buying a 350z performance with 6k down in cash + 2k for my car + hopefully i can sell my bike by then as well = 1500-2000

basically i'm trying to put 10k down on it i'd be financing like a 22k loan maybe more like 23-24 once i'm done w/ it

i was planning on playing 1k a month for first year of it. then like 600 after ,,, 36 month term ,, payments lookin like theyd be 480-540 ish..... would that keep me ahead of the drop in value?

Quick Reply: when will the Hype die down, Need CAR!!