Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Got My Z --First Impressions-(Long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2002, 08:46 AM
My_Tampa_Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got My Z --First Impressions-(Long)

Hi Everyone:

My History:
I have primarily lurked on this site since joining a few months ago. At first I found the posts intoxicating but soon found that reading it every day was driving me crazy. I took a vacation from the forums for while and tried to forget about the many weeks remaining for my Z to arrive. I ordered my Black Touring Model on Labor Day and have tracked it's production via Nissan NA reps and it's subsequent travels on various shipping and weather sites all the way to Jacksonville.

My pre-delivery Trip to the dealer:
My Black Touring arrived at the port 4 days ago. I could hardly contain myself. I sprinted up to the dealer to see if they could beat my Credit Union's interest rate and get a trade estimate on my current car (not much luck selling outright). When I arrived, I saw two cancelled order Z's side by side. One Black touring with Charcoal Seats (I ordered Burnt Org) and no NAV (I wanted NAV) and a Silverstone Track Model with Nave and all available port-installed options.

Regrets:
Suddenly I felt ill seeing the two colors side by side because, if I had the opportunity to see the two colors prior to ordering, I would definitely have chosen the Silverstone. IMO the Silverstone makes the car look longer and appealed more to my personal tastes. Don't get me wrong..the black was absolutely perfectly gorgeous. but for me, I wished I had gone with the Silverstone.

The Silver(stone) Lining:
The sales manager comes out and says he's willing to sell me the Track at MSRP and throws me the friggin keys!!! The salesperson who rides along says to me, "I cannot believe he's letting you do this...he never allows test drives....he doesn't even let the staff drive it!" Let me tell you, I had no intention on paying another dime more than I had originally agreed to...but I was not about to pass up a test-drive. I am sure none of you would either.

Sales Manager Knew what he was doing:
Ok...I get behind the wheel...as soon as I start the engine...I am sold...and the sales manger knew it....damn him! That little voice in my head says..."you can actually drive this car home tonight what's an extra grand!"

My Drive Home:
What can I say...not all people understand the love affair Z enthusiasts have with their cars. The sound of the engine is EXACTLY what I expected and wanted...nothing more..nothing less. The gears shift effortlessly, the toys are mesmerizing, the logos everywhere are a constant reminder that I am not merely driving a sports car....I am driving a Z.

Trouble Begins:
It's dark and there are few people on the road. but I find other drivers are boxing me in and tailgating to get a better look. I downshift and maneuver the car in and out of my Z prison and realize I'm doing 90 in a 45 zone. It was like I had to...it's only a matter of time before me and the police have our first "chat". I slow down after realizing that I had just broken several traffic laws and do not have my hardwired Radar Detector installed yet. My passenger asks me, "why are driving this way?" I simply respond by saying. "because I can!"

The Next day:
I wake up...jump out of bed (I NEVER jump out of Bed) bypass the bathroom, coffee maker, Whining dog (needs to be let out), and bolt into the garage.......ahh...Thank you God!...it wasn't just a dream.....
Old 11-16-2002, 08:55 AM
Stone Z

Thumbs up

Congrats....cool story!
Old 11-16-2002, 12:26 PM
Pooh2002
Charter Member #30

My_Tampa_Z,

Great story. I was getting very frustrated waiting for my Brickyard/Frost/Navi to come in about 3 weeks ago. Found that a dealer close by had the same car on the lot without the Navi. I went by to look at it. Pre order, but the owner backed out. $10K over MSRP on the window sticker. Salesman told me I could go for a test drive. I am very glad I didn't. I am sure I would have been so overwhelmed by the car that I would have paid the extra and not gotten exactly what I wanted.
Old 11-16-2002, 01:13 PM
cotmfk

Awesome story! Enjoy the car.... and get some pics up so we can see! GOod luck with the car!
Old 11-16-2002, 01:46 PM
NowUZme

I ordered a loaded Touring including Nav but decided to forgoe the Nav when an otherwise identical car was at the dealership waiting for someone to buy it for MSRP. People backing out apparently is happening quite a bit. I am glad I went without the Nav even though I am a gadget guy because now I get to drive my Z every day... winter or no winter. Although I guess I need to look at some Blizzaks or similar tires.

IMO, anyone that pays MSRP + $10k for this car is out of their friggin mind.

Let me be clear on this point: I love my week-old Z and I know this is the beginning of a long love affair. But priced between $27k and $34k (before options) it is not an inexpensive vehicle. I believe it is priced appropriately, but paying more than sticker is unnecessary and you are being cheated. Don't do this unless you have excessive cash and you don't mind wasting thousands of dollars for no reason at all. I don't know anyone like that.
Old 11-16-2002, 02:11 PM
fairladyZ in Japan

Great story, great dealer selling at MSRP, and great sales manger who did a great job sizing up the situation -- and throwing you the keys.

You definitely made the right decision.. SS Track... life is great.. especially in Tampa this weekend.

Enjoy.
Old 11-16-2002, 02:13 PM
shagz

Very exciting...congrats on your new baby...hope you like babies.

I had my car coming in Feb - March of 03, and got so impatient, that I started cold calling all the dealers a 100 miles within Jax. Finally got wind of a chromesilver sitting at a dealer in Palatka, imagine that. But ooopdidooo, it's a stick...I can't drive a stick. My impatience got better of me, and I went to Palatka, learnt how to drive the stick in 30 minutes, traded in my trusted 8 year old accord friend, bought the car and drove home. I've never done anything sooo impulsive in my entire life. And I am soooo glad I did it!!
Old 11-16-2002, 04:01 PM
MacGuru

Congrats to all. Great story. -m
Old 11-16-2002, 04:33 PM
NowUZme

Good story shagz!

I hope you enjoy the 6MT. I use my 350Z 6MT as a daily driver, and even though driving ANY stick in slow traffic can be frustrating, it's definitely worth it overall. Congrats on learning how!
Old 11-17-2002, 05:35 AM
cotmfk

Thumbs up

Originally posted by shagz
Very exciting...congrats on your new baby...hope you like babies.

I had my car coming in Feb - March of 03, and got so impatient, that I started cold calling all the dealers a 100 miles within Jax. Finally got wind of a chromesilver sitting at a dealer in Palatka, imagine that. But ooopdidooo, it's a stick...I can't drive a stick. My impatience got better of me, and I went to Palatka, learnt how to drive the stick in 30 minutes, traded in my trusted 8 year old accord friend, bought the car and drove home. I've never done anything sooo impulsive in my entire life. And I am soooo glad I did it!!
That's great! Once you learn, it opens up a whole new world!