Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

If you earn it, Then you Deserve it

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 12:01 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mantis3024
Word of advice to prospective Z owners, particularly young ones. For the 1-millionth time, the Z is a sports car so throw practicality out the window. Sure, you may be able to afford the monthly car and insurance payments, but can you afford the impracticality that it comes with? The most you can do with the car is drive it. I personally think the Z is a great car to have but only as a second car. If you have $15k to blow on a car, don't jump the gun so quickly. Spend some and invest some. It'll pay off in the long run.
An excellent point that has been neglected thus far in this rendition of 'the wonder yearz'. The Z sucks as anything other than a sports car. Unless you have ready access to another vehicle (especially in Winter), don't plan on having any real vehicular flexibility.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:25 PM
nashjam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kcobean
An excellent point that has been neglected thus far in this rendition of 'the wonder yearz'. The Z sucks as anything other than a sports car. Unless you have ready access to another vehicle (especially in Winter), don't plan on having any real vehicular flexibility.

True that. I should have known better with my previous vehicles, but next winter I'm buying a freakin beater. And I was glad to see someone reference my "delayed gratification" from an earlier post. It's a great description of an impractical possession.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:29 PM
Zexy

I never knew older people hated on young people for driving a new 350z.

I guess it would be un-cool to disclose my age, but if you see a teen bragging about his age, payments, w/e just brush it off.

If you really give 2 bit ***** less, quit postng.

Last edited by Zexy; 03-21-2005 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:55 PM
pfizzle

^Well said...

I'm 20 btw.. G is 75% paid off hehe
Old 03-21-2005, 12:58 PM
Built2shredZ

Originally Posted by Zexy
I never knew older people hated on young people for driving a new 350z.
I might way off base here, but this is what im thinking about the subject.

I know some of the people say its to dangerous for a kid to drive a sports car, and I agree somewhat, but I belive this only plays small part in why they resent someone young driving one...

Most of the older people here, had to work hard and save up for a long time before being in a position to own a nice sports car. I think most view it as somewhat of a status symbol that they are doing pretty good financially.

Then here comes a kid who's parents have money and like to spoil there kids, buys them one. I think the older people resent it because they had to work hard and had to wait until they could afford it. And it makes owning a 350z a little less impressive when the 17 year old next door has one also..

It's kind of like the guy who's worked for a company his whole life and at his retirement party is given a gold watch from his boss for all his hard work. Then the boss turns around and gives his newly hired son a gold watch to.... It's kind of a slap in the face.

Im sorry, but I have a hard time beleiving a 17 year old could save up on his own doing odd jobs here and there. Only way a 17 year old could afford it (basicaly a $30k car) is either his parents paid for it or at the very least put a good down payment on it for them.

That said, it does not bother me how old someone is.... Being I live in a fairly rich community, I see kids driving BMW's, Porsches, Jag's, etc.. all the time. I was just trying to shed some light on the subject
Old 03-21-2005, 01:13 PM
B-Unit

Originally Posted by kcobean
Are all of your other 423 posts this productive?
No, 422 of them are just emoticons!

I think thats is my most productive post yet.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:23 PM
kcobean

Originally Posted by Built2shredZ
I might way off base here, but this is what im thinking about the subject.

I know some of the people say its to dangerous for a kid to drive a sports car, and I agree somewhat, but I belive this only plays small part in why they resent someone young driving one...

Most of the older people here, had to work hard and save up for a long time before being in a position to own a nice sports car. I think most view it as somewhat of a status symbol that they are doing pretty good financially.

Then here comes a kid who's parents have money and like to spoil there kids, buys them one. I think the older people resent it because they had to work hard and had to wait until they could afford it. And it makes owning a 350z a little less impressive when the 17 year old next door has one also..

It's kind of like the guy who's worked for a company his whole life and at his retirement party is given a gold watch from his boss for all his hard work. Then the boss turns around and gives his newly hired son a gold watch to.... It's kind of a slap in the face.

Im sorry, but I have a hard time beleiving a 17 year old could save up on his own doing odd jobs here and there. Only way a 17 year old could afford it (basicaly a $30k car) is either his parents paid for it or at the very least put a good down payment on it for them.

That said, it does not bother me how old someone is.... Being I live in a fairly rich community, I see kids driving BMW's, Porsches, Jag's, etc.. all the time. I was just trying to shed some light on the subject

Your statements are all probably accurate to an extent. My point in all of these (constantly recurring) threads is that your age or how you acquired the car don't really matter. Bringing up that you're a teen-ager who owns a Z automatically incites the stereo-types I mentioned above in anyone who isn't a teenager and owns a Z.

Do I think it's crazy for a parent to buy their kid a 30K sports car? Yep, sure do. Do I think it's crazy for a kid who's busting his @$$ to spend his money buying a 30K sports car? Absolutely. Do I think that despite all the claims of being "mature for a teen-ager", they are at a higher risk of injuring themselves or someone else in this car? Yep, I sure do. However, these are all just my opinions, so if you're going to b!tch and moan about what a grouchy old 32 year old I am for voicing my opinions, don't come here and brag about being a teen-ager with a sports car. It's really quite simple. But if you do post up that you're 17 and getting or already own a Z, you get what you get from the rest of us. If you didn't want to hear it, you shouldn't have come in here boasting about your age.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:25 PM
nashjam

I love you K.

In all seriousness, I consider myself a tweener...in between old and young. Old enough to know I've made mistakes, and young enough to know I'm going to still make some mistakes. The mistake this young lad made is posting his age. If that would have been left out I think this thread would have lasted...oh maybe 1-2 pages...we're almost a 5! It's getting beat to death and dumb ***** (like myself) keep posting to keep it alive....let's let it fad into oblivion. This young lad is going to buy this car...good for him...and blow 30K before he's 18...very very stupid IMHO. Oh well, live and learn. 5 years from now he'll realize that, that banked 15K would have come in handy if he'd just bought a tricycle to ride to school.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:27 PM
nashjam

Note I did not post my age. I'm somewhere between 1 and 350....Z

26 is the magic number....OOOPS!
Old 03-21-2005, 03:33 PM
kinjal

i think the bottom line is that if you own a z, it does not matter what age, race, class, etc. you are. the thing that matters is that you appreciate it. whether you are 45 and this is the first "nice" car you have purchased, or you are 16 and your parents decided to hook you up -- you must appreciate it. those who worked and paid for the z, they know what it took to save and earn the cash for the car. those who had it given to them, well hopefully you wont take for granted just how lucky you are. when i was 16, i drove a p.o.s. honda accord, then an bigger p.o.s. toyota corolla (with a missing bumper). after graduating college last year, i decided to work for a year before going to medical school in the fall of 2005. i was able to earn six figures in 6 months through hard work in sales and wise investments. so what i did then was i paid off my college loans, and then i purchased a 350z in cash. was this the smart thing to do.... probably not. im 23 and i dont need a 35k sports car, but as all z owners know... our car is the complete opposite extreme of practicality. all z owners are impractical in some sense, but the fact of the matter is that we just like the car too dayam much to care about it. i could have saved my money for the 200k in debt i am going to incur over the next 4 years of medical school, but I decided that I only live once, and I want to finally get a 350z (a car I have been obsessed with since 2001). so all of you young guys who either pay for these or have your parents give your to you.. just be greatful that you are in the position to do so. make sure that you "earn" your car in some way or form. and for all of you older folks who may be a little aggravated by young people driving the same car as you.... just relaaax, because we are all on this forum for the sole reason that we love our car.

on a side note, i can relate to alot of the younger z owners in the sense that there are alot of haters out there. you have no idea how many older folks give me dirty looks and stare at me when they see me in my car. they probably assume im a drug dealer or doing something shady, while in reality i work hard for what i have. there are haters wherever you go in life... just the way it goes.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:01 PM
FUCHAOWNAOFdaZ

I won't post something like this again , don't worry.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:26 PM
doodeitstom

If you earn it or not, I still dont give a damn.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:34 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bat
Some people might do it to help thier credit. That is why I will have payments on my Z instead of buying it outright once I finish college. I want to improve my credit, and I think a good way of doing that is to buy a car and make the payments on it. I will figure out how much the payments will be well before I buy it, and make the payments to myself for a year or two to make sure I can keep up with them, then use that money for the downpayment and finance the rest.
I agree w/ this statement 100%. My credit is already good, but I plan on buying a house within a few years (not yet though) so I will be putting down a lot of money on my purchase to help keep my payments down and improve my credit. In the event that something terrible does happen, such as losing my job, it'll be much easier to survive w/ lower car payments than it would be than to have $800/mo payments. Granted, I would have money in the bank that I could live off of, but at the same time, thats money that would be invested and not necessarily readily available.

As for the notion that any car under $50k should be paid for full in cash, that seems like such a waste of money. I mean, if you saved $50k up for a car, why not use most of it as a downpayment on a car that costs $70k and save the rest? Why stop at $50k?
Old 03-21-2005, 05:45 PM
Destiny350Z

Originally Posted by m|2. B|2 ya|\|
Im a 3rd year college student. Got one B so far in over 2 years of college and graduate top of my class in HS. I worked hella hard........

But i didnt get a Z becuase of that. Im real with people and just tell em its cuz my dad is loaded.

Nothing worse than young kids like me who get a nice car and try to justify something they dont deserve. I know i dont deserve it, thats why I freakin try to pay my parents back with good grades and being a "good son". But i know that doesnt count, but im sure my dad would rather see me do well in school than by getting a job to pay him back.
You guys suggest things about me that aren't true!!! You just suggested that I don't have a job...that sure in hell isn't the case!! So before you say things about me maybe you should ask me to elaborate on things!! Like I said I pay insurance and service!! My Z is paid for with the settlement money that I got when my dad was killed. And I suggest you put your @$$ back in your pants before I spank it!
Old 03-21-2005, 05:57 PM
Destiny350Z

Originally Posted by Chicken
Then why bring it up? Just to give "a life lesson" when no one in this thread hates nor is jealous of anyone? I'm sorry for your loss, and hope that driving the Z reminds you of him and all the good memories you had when he was alive, but...
Thank you for attempting to be somewhat nice to me, it is much appreciated P.S I always give life lessons...if it doesn't apply to you then don't listen to me!!
Old 03-21-2005, 06:07 PM
B-Unit

Originally Posted by Destiny350Z
You guys suggest things about me that aren't true!!! You just suggested that I don't have a job...that sure in hell isn't the case!! So before you say things about me maybe you should ask me to elaborate on things!! Like I said I pay insurance and service!! My Z is paid for with the settlement money that I got when my dad was killed. And I suggest you put your @$$ back in your pants before I spank it!

If your cute i definitely wouldnt mind being spanked

Destiny is a hot name too Hit me up on aim. I need more Z girlfriends. w00t!

Last edited by m|2. B|2 ya|\|; 03-21-2005 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:18 PM
Mantis3024

Originally Posted by m|2. B|2 ya|\|
If your cute i definitely wouldnt mind being spanked

Destiny is a hot name too Hit me up on aim. I need more Z girlfriends. w00t!
e-pimpin at its finest
Old 03-21-2005, 07:27 PM
kcobean

Originally Posted by Mantis3024
e-pimpin at its finest
Haa haa ha.....just too funny.....
Old 03-21-2005, 07:36 PM
B-Unit

LMAO You not a Pimp!!!
Old 03-21-2005, 07:45 PM
NorCal350

well, after losing 20 mintes of my life reading all these damn long as posts, I have to second M|2. B|2 ya|\|

Sorry to hear about ur dad

Good for the original poster for saving that kinda cash, and u know what, I disagree with all the old men here telling u to save it for other worldly things, u know what, in 5 years you maybe broke and not be able to afford anything, but you will hopefully still have that nice car you bought for yourself when u were young, or hell, u get a kid and wont be able to ever get yourself that nice sports car that you want

Or hell, get hit by the school bus crossing the streat you only live once, unless your a cat, or buddist

Quick Reply: If you earn it, Then you Deserve it