Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

If you earn it, Then you Deserve it

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 09:18 PM
Camel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am 30 and I've bought everything I own myself. Now, does someone want to send a cookie to the house that I'm paying mortgage payments on? Irrelevant info? Yes, totally. I bought a Firebird Formula 350 when I was 18. I paid for it myself and all... worst financial decision ever BTW. Expensive payments and insurance. When I moved out on my own a year and a half later I couldn't afford it and bought a cheap **** Cavalier instead. When you live at home you take things like toothpaste, toilet paper, dishes and light bulbs for granted.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:13 AM
Neo105

On a side note,

I Do think it's good that he is able to save this kind of money without blowing it on whatever, because i know that when i was younger and my friend were trying to save money, they got 3k and they would see something nice in the shops, and they would blow that 3k on that and forget about what they were saving for...
Old 03-22-2005, 04:38 AM
Chicken

Originally Posted by pfizzle
^Well said...

I'm 20 btw.. G is 75% paid off hehe
^^^ Winner of the "I haven't read anything in this thread" award.
Originally Posted by NorCal350
u know what, in 5 years you maybe broke and not be able to afford anything, but you will hopefully still have that nice car you bought for yourself when u were young, or hell, u get a kid and wont be able to ever get yourself that nice sports car that you want

Or hell, get hit by the school bus crossing the streat you only live once, unless your a cat, or buddist
While I do agree with the "you only live once" philosphy, you wouldn't be broke in 5 years if you didn't spend all your money on expensive cars.

For the purpose of showing two of the last two major purchases I've made...

Bought Z about 2 years ago for ~$27K, have spent ~$6K in modifications, worth now is ~$22K (loss of ~$11K). The only way I could have lost money quicker would have been to burn or flush it down the toilet.

Bought house 2 years ago for ~$250, worth now ~$450 (gain of ~$200K).

I guess my point is that while it's OK to work for something and save up $6K, one has to realize that the moment you buy that car, you've lost (in value) all of the $6K, and all the hours you worked are gone. That's bad enough when you're my age (34, not that old really), but at 17, it's worse.

Invest it, and when you're 35 come back and let us know that you've quit working, are now retired, and you paid for the Z with the intrest you've made on your second million last year. That'll make you hated by "the old people" such as myself, heh.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:42 AM
NorCal350

Originally Posted by Chicken

While I do agree with the "you only live once" philosphy, you wouldn't be broke in 5 years if you didn't spend all your money on expensive cars.

For the purpose of showing two of the last two major purchases I've made...

Bought Z about 2 years ago for ~$27K, have spent ~$6K in modifications, worth now is ~$22K (loss of ~$11K). The only way I could have lost money quicker would have been to burn or flush it down the toilet.

Bought house 2 years ago for ~$250, worth now ~$450 (gain of ~$200K).

I guess my point is that while it's OK to work for something and save up $6K, one has to realize that the moment you buy that car, you've lost (in value) all of the $6K, and all the hours you worked are gone. That's bad enough when you're my age (34, not that old really), but at 17, it's worse.

Invest it, and when you're 35 come back and let us know that you've quit working, are now retired, and you paid for the Z with the intrest you've made on your second million last year. That'll make you hated by "the old people" such as myself, heh.
I also agree with that too, it really comes down to what you want out of your life, and what your willing to "SACRAFICE Its all a personal matter oh well, i dont think this post will die!
Old 03-22-2005, 10:04 AM
afreemason

Originally Posted by FUCHAOWNAOFdaZ
I won't post something like this again , don't worry.

Actually mate I hope you do ...... agree or disagree you've got people talking, ranting and dribbling into their tea ....... but ........ and this is the point ....... how pants would this site be without posts like this ..... it's all about posts like this.

...... keep it going matey ! The worst threads are usually well under a page !!!

Old 03-22-2005, 11:29 AM
NorCal350

yeah, if u dont like being flamed, then yes, watch how u word things, but **** if i didnt have this to read and think up clever quips to fight back with, what would i really have?

Oh yeah i forgot, more free time lol!!!!
Old 03-22-2005, 04:03 PM
pfizzle

Hey thanks.. i was just kidding.. lol.. I've read about 245768459 million threads like this... its just funny...

Who gives a rats ***!!! You can be 14 or 86 driving a G/ Z it doesnt matter, get over it.. .Its just a car.. WHO CARES.. there are people driving Zondas and McLarens and those are 20 times as much as a Z or G, and they should be the only ones throwing it in your faces... ... lol Seriously...
Old 03-22-2005, 09:08 PM
FUCHAOWNAOFdaZ

I mean like, I just posted this thread to see the forum's reaction and that reaction told me not to ever post something like this again unless you would age yourself 65. don't worry, I won't do it again
Old 03-22-2005, 09:11 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I mean like, I just posted this thread to see the forum's reaction and that reaction told me not to ever post something like this again unless you would age yourself 65. don't worry, I won't do it again
You live and you learn.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:00 PM
Panda350z

Okay, everyone here seems to be acting like 14 yr olds. If this thread is stupid and pointless don't reply. I don't even know why i'm replying because i'm contradicting myself, but i tend to do that hahahaha...come on guys, were all Z owners lets enjoy our cars rather then bicker about who pays for it or how much our down pays are. Nonetheless this was interesting in a sociological perspective to read this thread at work. thanks for the entertainment
Old 03-23-2005, 04:25 PM
TJMAudio

Now you're just trying to get sympathy. It's best off if you just don't post in this thread and let it die on it's own... Just my $0.02.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:22 AM
cracka350z

my dad helped me by cosigning...but thats it. my credit is shot so i couldnt get it myself...yeah i bought it used and for $20k with nuthin wrong, but im payin for the payments and im 23
Old 03-24-2005, 07:41 AM
bixby

Originally Posted by capnfrantic
Somebody finally said it! Cars are one of the biggest waste of money I can think of. Hopefully this being said, young people will realize sooner. But then again those that claim to know this are'nt making a good testament on this forum are we?

FUCHAOWNAOFdaZ
These guys don't care how old you are...But I do think they care haw mature you are. Trust me there are thirty year olds that act 16. I do not think I would mention age again....
A lot of good advise on here. I agree, no one cares about your age and dumping all of your fairly easly saved money (no matter how hard you think it was to save, trust us, IT WASN'T) into a hot car. really isn't a wise choice. But at your age you're not really expected to make a wise choice. Once you have it, are on your own, paying all of your own expenses plus insurance & maintenance I think you'll remember all of the good advise you've recieved.

Consider yourself fortunate that your parents are allowing you to save your money but you'd be much wiser to buy a nice honda or toyota or perhaps a nissan sentra and keeping your costs down.

A lot of us "older" guys are maxed out on our investments yet still have a lot of extra pocket cash. I choose to spend mine on my car and really good wines . Hell, I even have a hard time justifying that! I crenge first then just shrug it of.

Good luck, but be smart. You may want to think about giving your parents a break too. Especially if they're going to be picking up the tab on say insurance for a teenager in a high performance car!
Old 03-25-2005, 05:26 AM
FUCHAOWNAOFdaZ

I got it covered
Old 03-26-2005, 11:29 AM
smiles

Damn - this "i'm a teenager saving for a car that costs more than my parents car" crap gets old...LOL.

One really might want to rethink the rationale behind buying a car that costs more than your annual take home income.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:19 PM
___DJK___

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BoostTed touched on one important aspect. As he said, it's like a re-run of the twins thread (if you don't know, errr... nevermind) every time someone does this. No one here really cares how old you are, how much you put down, etc., it's not high school here.

Second, although there will be those that disagree, a more moderate car is often best for younger drivers, even if they've been driving since they were 12. it's just common sense.

Third, you're 17 and have saved $6,000 and will be saving another $9,000 all to put it down on a car? They really need to teach investing in school. It just blows my mind that people don't understand this relatively simple concept. If I didn't like cars so much, I wouldn't be driving a $30K car, but since I make over $6,000 a month, I can afford to buy a few things I know are not good investments.

You aren't in the same position and IMHO, should consider doing without the fancy car and putting your money elsewhere. You might not listen to the advice, but if you don't own a house, you should save the majority of your money for something else at this point in your life.

My 2 cents (invest those 2 cents)
This thread really should have been closed after this post. Well put!
Old 03-28-2005, 04:52 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

I just read this entire thread and all I can say is Wow! A lot of you guys are quite judgemental and intolerant. We all have different situations and circumstances in life.

To the girl who got her car as the result of her fathers death, I say enjoy it. He wanted you to.

Life is short guys, don't foget to enjoy it.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:09 PM
B-Unit

Originally Posted by cracka350z
my dad helped me by cosigning...but thats it. my credit is shot so i couldnt get it myself...yeah i bought it used and for $20k with nuthin wrong, but im payin for the payments and im 23

Have u learned anything from reading the thread, or did u read the thread. Ill give u a break cuz u have 4 posts, but if you had say 10, id call u a moron.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:52 PM
Hereje0

Originally Posted by 35ounces
I just read this entire thread and all I can say is Wow! A lot of you guys are quite judgemental and intolerant. We all have different situations and circumstances in life.

To the girl who got her car as the result of her fathers death, I say enjoy it. He wanted you to.

Life is short guys, don't foget to enjoy it.
judgemental and intolerant maybe, but i'd say some of it has to do with the fact that there have been a ridiculous amount of threads identical to this in the last couple of years. Every time things seem to get a little more brutal
Old 03-28-2005, 11:24 PM
B-Unit

I can believe that^^^

Quick Reply: If you earn it, Then you Deserve it