2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Base Model?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2002, 05:59 PM
TJZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Base Model?

Originally posted by asdfx
Hello all, Ive been lurking on the forum for a few weeks now and finnaly decided to make a post. I had been wanting a lancer evo 8(the speculated one on paper) for quite some time but one day I decided to swing by the nissan dealership to check out the 350Z since I had been keeping tabs on it off and on since I heard they were bringing it back. That day I forgot all about the evo 8. In the showroom was a black touring with the burnt orange seats, navi and all the options, it was.... there arnt words....

Anyhow the the touring, track and performance models are a little too rich for my blood, so stand the other 2. I was thinking I could go with the base and add an LSD as soon as one was available since that was my main gripe about the base model but Im also tempted by the Enthusiast's HIDs, VLSD, and auto dimming rear view mirror which in my opinion is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

It wont be until february until Im ready to do anything so maybe there will be a LSD out by then. Until then I was wondering a few things about the Base model: How are the halogen headlights incomparison to the HID ones, are they significantly better? Is the lack of an LSD livable? And last, is there anything else I should take into consideration?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any info!
The lack of LSD is very easy to live with on normal roads. If you want to modify there is already a mechanical LSD (Cusco) available in japan which will do much better than a VLSD. As for the headlights, well i still drive in the night so obviously I can see....
Old 11-17-2002, 06:11 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they are just perks, but be aware I think swapping the LSD is gonna void pretty much all warrenty on the drivetrain, including the engine. not to say the VLSD is perfect, but the warrenty is nice. then again, LSD only works when your tires lose traction, which only applies for launches and if one tire is on ice or something.

I had halagons on my last car, they work fine, youve used them. but HIDs are definitly brighter, and whiter. they look cool too.

homelink, autodimming mirror and lighted vanity mirrors just make the car look and feel a little more high class, but these are just creature comforts. also the cruise control, I couldnt live without it. and all of these things are not something you could add later.
Old 11-17-2002, 06:45 PM
TJZ

Originally posted by ares
they are just perks, but be aware I think swapping the LSD is gonna void pretty much all warrenty on the drivetrain, including the engine. not to say the VLSD is perfect, but the warrenty is nice. then again, LSD only works when your tires lose traction, which only applies for launches and if one tire is on ice or something.

I had halagons on my last car, they work fine, youve used them. but HIDs are definitly brighter, and whiter. they look cool too.

homelink, autodimming mirror and lighted vanity mirrors just make the car look and feel a little more high class, but these are just creature comforts. also the cruise control, I couldnt live without it. and all of these things are not something you could add later.
Umm...putting in a LSD isn't going to void the warrenty on your engine.
Old 11-17-2002, 06:48 PM
ares
Veteran

if the dealer cant blame the replacement of the diff on an engine problem Id be damned. unless it was a nismo LSD, then maybe, since I hear nismos sposed to keep the warrenty.
Old 11-17-2002, 06:59 PM
TJZ

Originally posted by ares
if the dealer cant blame the replacement of the diff on an engine problem Id be damned. unless it was a nismo LSD, then maybe, since I hear nismos sposed to keep the warrenty.
I don't get what you're saying. Did you reverse your statement and you meant to say that the dealer would blame an engine problem on a LSD? I don't see how. Maybe they could blame a tranny or suspension problem on the new LSD but not an engine problem.
Old 11-17-2002, 07:08 PM
ares
Veteran

well, actually I retract my statement, whether or not thay can blame the diff for it or not isnt really important, cause from what I can see, unless they take the diff apart, they cant tell theres an LSD installed.

what they dont know, doesnt hurt you. so a mute point I suppose. now if your diff falls apart.... well I dont think we have to consider that. but thats a different case.
Old 11-17-2002, 07:16 PM
^Tyr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

um.. changing diff's would probably just make your mechanic smile... i serioulsy doubt its gonna void much if any warranty, unless you shattered your driveshaft its just plastic w/ some cf ya know :P but of course to make enuf power to shatter that driveshaft ud have to be making some pretty decent hp...

to answer your questions, you'd love the car. and you can add your sliced bread. err. dimming mirror later,, curtesy nissan has em for 269 bucks or so

the hids? i'm sure you could add later too although would probably be a universal kit and not as good as stock however i heard the stock was pretty weak ,, that at least a fwe ppl are tossin ideas around for better bulbs and such 6000k's (289 bucks for some bulbs jesus)

i say buy what you can easily afford now and add things as you find them necessary. the lsd + mirror are easy fixes (relatively)

but do remember to think about the tcs (enthusiast + ) and the vdc (performance +)

the vdc is what made me chose the performance over say a base or enthusiast... i live in indiana and the added insurance from stability control cant be beat for foul weather.....
Old 11-17-2002, 07:40 PM
ares
Veteran

as Im sure your aware the lights are excellent, my understanding is actually that the higher the number, the bluer the light, however it isnt as bright... so its a cosmetic thing, that means the lighting is actually better stock then they want.

I wouldnt rag on the stock HIDs for this reason. plus if you choose to change the bubs, thats really not so much nissans thing... their HID setup was not really designed by them, no more than their ABS was. the bulbs they choose were fine, still no flaw in the car design. they just choose function over appearance.
Old 11-17-2002, 07:43 PM
roberto350z

enthusiast is a compromise...I love the perks that this model offers, however...if you bought the base model, I guarantee you wont think twice about it (until you have to sell it )
Old 11-17-2002, 07:49 PM
ares
Veteran

hell yeah, that is true, regaurdless, you still have 287hp under the hood.
Old 11-18-2002, 08:25 AM
robbyn
Charter Member #79

This is a pretty common question. As I've posted before, I started with a Base with side impact air bags, and upgraded to the Enthusisast without the airbags for a difference of $1400. I think I get more benefit from the TCS and LSD keeping me out of accidents, than I get from the slight additional protection from the side impact airbags during an accident. BTW, I have never had Xenon headlights before and I LOVE them, they are just amazingly bright while not blinding oncoming traffic. One strong vote for getting the Enthusiast.