Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to get a Z very badly

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 11:47 PM
Grahf16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to get a Z very badly

First off, I've been a hardcore Nissan freak since I was in 7th grade, mainly because my family have driven nothing but Nissan cars.

I driven my dad's 2000 Sentra GXE for a good while, then after I got out of highschool, I bought a 2003 SE-R Spec V and I really liked it, but I really wanted a Z straight from the beginning. I could have gotten the Z, but mainly being only 19 years old, I knew insurance was going to rape me hardcore, and I thought I was going to be very happy with the car.

I sort of am, but I just wanted a Z badly, and I want to stay in the big N.

Like a couple of weeks ago, I got to test drive a Z because one of my best friends got a job over there, and they had this ultra yellow base model on the lot. After driving it, I automatically loved the car, and I seriously wanted to get it.

Sticker price on the base model Ultra Yellow Z is like 27.5 grand, and he said he could knock 2 grand off of sticker price. So that really had me wanting it.

I'm 21 right now with a credit score like in the high 650's, I've been paying on my car for a good 2 years with no late payments and my mom as a cosigner (who has excellent credit, and I was able to finance at 5%). My mom didn't want me having the car and she refused to cosign with me, even though she knew I could make payments and had plenty money stored in the bank.

What I tried to do was trade in my car, just take the Z, and make payments on it, under my own name. They said my credit was great, but I didn't make too much at my job, with an annual income of like 20 grand, but I been saving money, so it would never come to the situation that I would miss a payment, so my friend said it would be highly recommended to either get my mom (excellent credit, same income as me + tips) or my dad (sub par credit, triple the income as me, not including retirement and what not).

I really want this car and I really want to join your community as a fellow Z33 driver, so I was wondering what I should do in this situation, and if I should just say no to the base model and wait for something higher up like performance? Because I really don't need all the extras and stuff, since I could always upgrade later for a cheaper price. But please help me.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:05 AM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like something you need to talk to your parents about, because anyway you go, your going to need one of them to help you get the car.

As for the best bang for the buck, that would be the Enthusiast model, followed by the Performance. You can go to the dealer and get a brochure to see the list of differences.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:46 AM
Grahf16

I have like 16 grand saved up, and I don't want to put all of it into trying to get that Z, but they said if I put down 3 grand, it would probably be like 600-650 a month, which I can handle with some money to spare. He said that if I can get a cosign, then it would be greatly reduced.

I already know the differences, but I'm wondering is traction control really worth that extra upgrade?
Old 03-23-2005, 04:16 AM
donricouga

As much as I love the Z and i know others love it as well, I would say wait to get the car, at least until you get a better paying job. With $30,000 car + gas + insurance + other miscellaneous expenses, you will be hurting. I see alot of people on here with great mods, nice wheels, TT's etc.. I am 23 and I would love to have these things but I know my limits. Just my honest opinion.

Sorry if I sound like a parent
Old 03-23-2005, 04:41 AM
capnfrantic

Why push the issue? Keep making payments on your Spec and work on saving more money. You sound responsible, I think I would prove to my Mom I wanted the car over time. She is probably thinking this is an impulse buy. Save more money, learn the Z, keep credit score (it will only go higher), make purchase in a year or so. BTW who knows, there may be some great changes coming for the Z by then also...
Old 03-23-2005, 07:06 AM
JThrilla

First, I think you can get a base Z for much better than 25.5k plus tax. The invoice on the car is around 24k, isn't it?

Second, it sounds like you're living at home and just working a job without too many bills. If I were you, I wouldn't want to make a good majority of my income go to a car payment of $600. If you're that tied down for the next 5 years, you won't have any money to eventually move out of mom and dad's...it's all about what your overall plan is.

If it were me, I wouldn't do it.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:37 AM
gburch

I agree, wait. 3 years ago I almost dumped all my money into a BMW I wanted. But in the end I realized that I had an apartment I was dumping money into and a new car on top of that (I already had a nice 2001 Xterra). So I stayed happy with my Xterra for 1 1/2 more years and saved up and bought a house instead. I now live in an awesome neighborhood and have a nice new house that made 60k in one year! I also now rent out one of my rooms to help pay the mortgage. Finally at this point 3 years later I am ready to get the car of my dreams, the 350Z Roadster. I won't ever have to worry about payments and I know that I have a lot more other stable things in my life. A car is a car and buying a car over 20,000 without owning a home is not a good decision in my opinion. One of your main goals at this point in your life should be to buy a house. I am 23 if you were wondering. So it was around 20-21 that I started having the same wants as you. As much as you are dying to have the car try to make yourself hold off . Go browse some real estate sites and save for a down payment on a house instead.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:57 AM
rxtrom

Default Maybe wait a little

Originally Posted by gburch
A car is a car and buying a car over 20,000 without owning a home is not a good decision in my opinion. One of your main goals at this point in your life should be to buy a house. I am 23 if you were wondering. So it was around 20-21 that I started having the same wants as you. As much as you are dying to have the car try to make yourself hold off . Go browse some real estate sites and save for a down payment on a house instead.
I agree. You should wait. I am 23 also and I am closing on my house this next week. I also have plenty of bank left for a Z. In fact I knew this when i started looking for houses. I only looked at houses that had a garage. They way to do things right is plan ahead. Start building up your credit. Try to get a 750-800 credit rating. Banks will be all over you when you make your decision on a House/Z

I know its hard to wait and get something later when theoretically you can "afford" it now. You just have to suck it up.

G/L
Rob

Last edited by rxtrom; 03-23-2005 at 07:59 AM.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:04 AM
bio911

i am only 19 and insurance is not bad... good luck buddy
Old 03-23-2005, 09:38 AM
SlamMan

Buy a home FIRST! Especially if you have 16 grand saved up. You come off as an intelligent person. Don't make an unintelligent financial decision. It will be next to impossible to buy a home with a huge car payment. If you have to have a Z get a slightly experienced one. You could probably hunt and find one for closer to $20k. Do it after you buy a home first. Don't miss out on the best financial decision you'll ever make.

EDIT: I've been a member since July 03' and have over 500 posts and still no Z.

But I own a home.

Last edited by SlamMan; 03-23-2005 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:44 AM
engiNERD350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by donricouga
As much as I love the Z and i know others love it as well, I would say wait to get the car, at least until you get a better paying job. With $30,000 car + gas + insurance + other miscellaneous expenses, you will be hurting. I see alot of people on here with great mods, nice wheels, TT's etc.. I am 23 and I would love to have these things but I know my limits. Just my honest opinion.

Sorry if I sound like a parent
I agree. I'm also 23 and just purchased the Z 2 weeks ago. I'm an engineer so the moneys pretty okay, but there's always things that you never think of considering, and then you look and wonder where all your money went. Hence, that is why I'm holding off on wheels and all these other mods I want.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:59 AM
arodbrs

im selling my 04 touring if interested c.s. z, 12k miles, fully modified payoff is 21k.
if interested my z is avaliable i have 10k invested after paying 30g's for it, wheels, sounds, and bolt ons...... pm if interested will take 7g's and u payoff the loan total price of car 28g's for an 04 touring no dings no scratches garaged kept not a daily driver either.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:07 AM
gburch

Yea I own my own software consulting company and I still find paying 40g's for a car sucks. So at 20/yr it will hit you harder than you think. You could put 10 down on a house and have 6 in reserve. Depending on where you live if you can afford a car at 600/mnth you could probably buy a cheaper house for that much...it would be an amazing house but it will still make you money in the long run and you can always move into a nicer place when you make more money or make a lot on your house.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:14 AM
Z-INCOGNITO

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by donricouga
I see alot of people on here with great mods, nice wheels, TT's etc.. I am 23 and I would love to have these things but I know my limits. Just my honest opinion.
Exactly... great point
Old 03-23-2005, 11:41 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

If you end up buying a Z, get at least the Enthusiast model. Just to many goodies for very little extra not to get the Enthusiast.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:35 PM
hypeiv

Originally Posted by engiNERD350Z
I agree. I'm also 23 and just purchased the Z 2 weeks ago. I'm an engineer so the moneys pretty okay, but there's always things that you never think of considering, and then you look and wonder where all your money went. Hence, that is why I'm holding off on wheels and all these other mods I want.
lol I am a 23 year old engineer too... we can afford all the fun mods for the car no problem... My parents drilled "save save save" into my head and I can't bring myself to spend the big bucks.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:39 PM
Eddie1979

This thread almost makes me cry because I basically spent a years worth of savings on the Z..... But the I look at the pictures, then I think of an APS turbo kit w/ alc injection, and then I smile.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:44 PM
Wicked4u2c

Or you can BUY MY CAR (stock now) for $22k. Its the cleanest BLACK Z around with only 12K miles.

Here are pictures of what it looked like..

STILL HAVE PLENTY OF AFTERMARKET PARTS FOR SALE!!

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113637
Old 03-23-2005, 10:04 PM
Grahf16

You guys are so right. I guess I just wanted a Z so bad that, I guess I was slippin and I didn't get my priorities straight.

I really like the Spec V, and it's my perfect A-B car, but I really wanted to look good while driving, and I thought the Z was one of the most beautiful cars on the market. You guys defnietely strike a very good point with the whole house and saving up thing. I'll definetely have to do that, I just hope a get a Z sooner than later.

Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it, and I'm going to try my best to get all this stuff together, instead of just getting the car, and worrying about everything else.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:56 PM
___DJK___

Definitely buy used! Z has been out long enough now for you to be able to find a smokin deal on an 03 or 04 with low miles. Let someone else eat the first couple years of massive depreciation.

Quick Reply: Trying to get a Z very badly