Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Liability coverage on the race track?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2002, 08:30 PM
uro279

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Liability coverage on the race track?

Hey guys, I know this has been posted before, but I just can't find it. Will my insurance cover me while on the race track? Will they cover me if I take a High Perfomance Driving course? What about if I take a course like Skip Barber's?

If not, how do I get coverage during these events? I really feel uncomfortable taking courses and such without coverage.

Any help appreciated.
Old 11-19-2002, 05:22 AM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your auto insurance will cover you for an accident at the track IF you're enrolled in a driving school (HPDE). However, they'll likely drop you immediately thereafter. Most people I know who claim an accident at the track "hit a deer."
Old 11-19-2002, 05:54 AM
CoachZ

Originally posted by Hedonist
Your auto insurance will cover you for an accident at the track IF you're enrolled in a driving school (HPDE). However, they'll likely drop you immediately thereafter. Most people I know who claim an accident at the track "hit a deer."
Anyone know if we have deer in South Florida? Can I say it was a gator? Or a really large possum? Oh, no...I've got it. "Yes, Allstate? I'd like to report a claim. I was driving along, minding my own business, when a Tarpon leapt out of a nearby canal and struck my car."

Damn fish.
Josh
Old 11-19-2002, 06:01 AM
350zSpeedRacer

Originally posted by CoachZ
Anyone know if we have deer in South Florida? Can I say it was a gator? Or a really large possum? Oh, no...I've got it. "Yes, Allstate? I'd like to report a claim. I was driving along, minding my own business, when a Tarpon leapt out of a nearby canal and struck my car."

Damn fish.
Josh
LMAO!
Old 11-19-2002, 07:48 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and that works? the deer thing.

I mean if you like flipped the car, do you say you were avoiding the deer and hit a ditch?? wouldnt they want fur on the car or something? I thought insurance agents were dicks about stuff like this.
Old 11-19-2002, 08:08 AM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, they perfer to have some blood or fur on the car... not a problem, the human body has 7+ pints of blood... and the insurance company isn't going to test the blood to see where it came from.

When I was at Summit Point earlier this month, a turbo S2000 in my group exited T8 and a deer jumped out in front of him... so how about hitting a deer on the track? Amazingly, only the front bumper was damaged...
Old 11-19-2002, 08:12 AM
mwr

I called my agent and asked before my first event. As long as it is an educational event with instructors, no timing, no door to door racing it was covered for my policy. I had the agent reply in writing and filed that letter away just in case.

If you are concerned you should be checking with your agent about the specifics of your policy BEFORE attending an event. Lying about an accident at one of these events will get you in big trouble.

Also check your life insurance restrictions! At a track event this year at Pocono a driver in a Z06 with a full cage, harnesses and fire supression lost it in a turn, totaled the car and died!

At track days the goals should be: be safe, have fun, go fast.
Old 11-19-2002, 06:14 PM
uro279

Thanks for the info guys! This forum has never let me down when I had a question. Well worth time spent being a member here with all you fellow Z enthusiasts!
Old 11-20-2002, 07:05 AM
CaneZMD

Hey Coach, it seems that alot of teams have run over the gators this year......Oh, wait a minute, your talking about car accidents. Sorry.

I agree, though, I don't know if allstate would go for covering a track accident at metrozoo this weekend. So if anyone has any ideas for track coverage let us know.
Old 11-20-2002, 07:12 AM
CoachZ

Originally posted by CaneZMD
Hey Coach, it seems that alot of teams have run over the gators this year......Oh, wait a minute, your talking about car accidents. Sorry.

I agree, though, I don't know if allstate would go for covering a track accident at metrozoo this weekend. So if anyone has any ideas for track coverage let us know.
I knew someone would bring up the gators...

MD, I pick up my Z today, it's getting new Ferodo racing brakes, so I'm hoping I get to try them out at the Speedtrials or AutoX this weekend...
Old 11-20-2002, 11:11 AM
Afty

Originally posted by mwr
Also check your life insurance restrictions! At a track event this year at Pocono a driver in a Z06 with a full cage, harnesses and fire supression lost it in a turn, totaled the car and died!
That guy was the president of a car club I am a member of. He was a very experienced track driver and knew what he was doing. If it would happen to him, it could happen to anyone.

Please stay safe out there on the track!
Old 08-20-2003, 09:49 PM
Frostpaw

mwr: Which insurance company do you have that was willing to give you a written letter stating that you were ok for track days?

I called my insurance agent (USAA) earlier and they simply told me that I wasn't covered. I'm willing to switch insurance companies if it means being covered for HDPE events.
-F.
Old 08-21-2003, 01:38 AM
12SecZ

In California racing is out, as are "speed contest" even if on the street. If they can prove you were racing they won't want to pay.

Ares, every crash I have seen with cars this low were bouncing off the walls not roll overs but still a crash is a crash.
Old 08-21-2003, 05:07 AM
Blue Liquid

Yeah, but 'racing' is different from attending an HPDE. Anybody here with Allstate call and get coverage? There was an addendum to my policy earlier this year stating that no track events would be covered. Does anyone here with Allstate buy coverage just for that day or what?
Old 08-21-2003, 06:51 AM
2003z

Originally posted by Frostpaw
mwr: Which insurance company do you have that was willing to give you a written letter stating that you were ok for track days?

I called my insurance agent (USAA) earlier and they simply told me that I wasn't covered. I'm willing to switch insurance companies if it means being covered for HDPE events.
-F.
After going through several layers of supervisors at USAA they told me I was covered at a driving school, and specifically mentioned 'like in a bmwcca drving school', which are high performance track days. However, I am now with progressive, as USAA's rates have gotten higher recently.. Saving 600/year with them.
Old 08-21-2003, 07:17 AM
Boiler

I have worked in Insurance for 30 years, based in the UK but with some Global knowledge.

In the UK it is becoming increasingly unlikely that your road going policy is going to cover you for a trackday and I would expect the same considerations to apply here. I doubt if there is a specific answer, as each State has its own regulations, and of course Canada is completely different again.

So you need make sure you check with your insurance company first. Make sure you mention that these events are non- competitive and no racing or timing is allowed.
Many companies will cover you, for a small additional premium. Check when renewing your Insurance that it covers track days, get it in writing.

In the UK there are schemes where you can buy cover by the day for trackdays, but I can find nothing here. This surprised me as it must be a bigger market but this may come back to the issue that you would have to do it State by State so the economics do not stack up. Or their advertising sucks.

Finally I think you would be mad not to have Liability coverage, what if you killed or seriously injured somebody?. No matter what disclaimers have been signed, the legal costs in defending any action would bankrupt you.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:22 AM
2003z

btw, when my friend totalled his 350Z at Road Atlanta, State Farm covered him, and didn't cancel their policy.
Old 08-21-2003, 02:38 PM
mwr

Originally posted by 2003z
After going through several layers of supervisors at USAA they told me I was covered at a driving school, and specifically mentioned 'like in a bmwcca drving school', which are high performance track days. However, I am now with progressive, as USAA's rates have gotten higher recently.. Saving 600/year with them.
Sorry I could not get back to you more quickly. I am with State Farm. I handled all of the questions with my agent and let the agent ask (or not ask) the company about the coverage. The agent provided the letter.

I personally know of others that have had accidents at HPDE events with State Farm and have not had problems with CLAIMS. The key is that it is an HPDE event with instructors no timing no side by side racing. The agent did specifically mentioned that some tracks had open track days whe you can drive pay you money and hit the track with no supervision no organization and the SF would not cover anything that happened at this type of activity.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:32 PM
raceboy
Banned

Just don't crash!!! (Should I say that 2 days before a track day?)
Old 08-22-2003, 08:23 AM
bixby

Originally posted by 2003z
btw, when my friend totalled his 350Z at Road Atlanta, State Farm covered him, and didn't cancel their policy.
Yea, but they raised our premiums! Just kidding.

Quick Reply: Liability coverage on the race track?