2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Oil Pressure Guage...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 06:38 AM
JimmysZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Guage...

Hey Guys...

Just got my Z this past Saturday... but havent been able to drive it much with all the miserable rain, sleet, and wet leaves all over the place (yea I am ****). Last night was a cold but clear night so I take the baby for a spin

Pulled into a shopping center and sat there idleing in neutral and noticed my oil pressure guage was very low... almost 0. Not knowing how this thing works or how you use it or what exactly is it telling you, I got nervous and thought... did nissan put any oil in this car????

But then I thought to myself... what happens when your moving... and so I drove around the parking lot and noticed the pressure went up, somewhere around midway pt. Then said to myself this has got to be normal... as engine works harder... oil pressure will go up.

Can someone explain how you use this guage... and what you should look for and when. Never had one before in a car so not sure how you use it.

Thanks...
Old 11-19-2002, 07:17 AM
zwindsor
Twisty addict

Check your oil level immediately!! If it's at the proper level then it sounds like you may have a problem with the pressure sending unit. The oil gauge should be showing somewhere around 20 psi at idle. Oil pressure always goes up when excelerating.

Get the problem fixed ASAP and don't drive it around like it is. Also try reading about the gauges in the manual. You might learn something.
Old 11-19-2002, 08:16 AM
JimmysZ

Originally posted by zwindsor
Also try reading about the gauges in the manual. You might learn something.
I am planning to read the manual... just havent gotten the chance yet. I read all my manuals when buying a new or used car... you can learn a lot.

What is eveyone elses oil pressure at when ideling in nuetral after warmed up???

Thanks...
Old 11-19-2002, 08:23 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine sits way below the "mid point" not on the peg... but its down there. thats still a pretty good pressure, and when I drive it can go above the mid point.

Ive found with most all the gauges, it is a very exact number, my last car didnt vary with a short period of time, there were no quick changes in the gauges. but the Z, the oil and battery can change as fast as the RPMs.

check your oil, thats never a bad thing to do, but Im sure your car is just fine.
Old 11-24-2002, 07:36 AM
dragonbz99

ummm during idle my pressure is at like 40 , is this normal? when i go to liek 4000 revs it goes alot over 60 like 80.. i think i have problems whta do i do?