Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Test Drive: 350 Z

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 07:50 PM
someone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test Drive: 350 Z

Well I took out a new Z and was given no limits as to how I could treat it. At first I wanted to be gentle as I might buy it, but then I saw the way teh salesman beat it so I decided not to buy that one and beat the snot out of it.

Upon walking up to the Z the tail pipes grab your attention first, they are HUGE, wide open, exciting. Then to the 18 inch ultra light-weight Rays forged aluminum wheels, but beneath those massive wheels lie 13 inch Brembo Rotors with gold/orange 4 piston calipers. Opening the door you see the window go down slightly (this is for the new strip-less doors) door opens firmly and closes with some weight behind it. The first thing you notice inside the Z is how simple it looks, basic, like a race car. Huge Orange glowing tach stareing you right in the face, to your right 3 pods showing oil pressure, power and the last a multi-function digital read out showing (Stopwatch, MPH, F/R tire pressure, Temp, Humid., barometric pressure, mpg, distance to E, and programable shift light function). As you tilt the wheel to your liking you notice the Tach, speedo and fuel gauges move WITH it, so more more worries about blocking ur gauges here. The wheel is light and responsive, small, but not too small.

You put the key in, depress teh clutch, and start the engine, inside you hear the deep bass tone come from the engine. Put the shifter into first and go. The throws are short, and I mean sort, like stooK short. The power is there all the time from 1500 to 6500 and until it bounces off the limiter you don't feel any lack of umph. Turn are fun. Not just fun, incredibly fun. See the sign that says 25 mph? Take it at 65 and what do you hear? Nothing but the growl of the engine as it climbs RPMs, no squeel, no loss of traction, THIS ***** STICKS. Toss off the TCS, VCD and let the tail come out a bit. Come back to the straights, mash the gas, wait till the shift light comes on at redline, pound it into 4th, and take the next exit off the highway even faster, just b/c you can. And durring all this turning you're glued into the seats, no sliding around, you just stick, almost as well as the Z sticks. There is 0 body roll on this car, if you lowered it any more, it would feel like a roller coaster going 200 instead of 100 stock. This car is a sports car, nothing more, nothing less.

2 things I didn't like, 1) the direct link non-cable shifter vibrates like a foot massager, it's crazy my hand almost went numb. But his could be due to the salesman burning out the clutch and not knowing how to drive. When I went to drive it all I could smell was clutch as i got into the car.. 2) The HIDs are a little too white, where as I love a good blue, but that's perferance.....

I know I'll be trying to get my hands on one.

350Z = awesome
Old 11-19-2002, 08:04 PM
NowUZme

Agreed.... poo on them. And the sucky part is you KNOW they will be able to sell it for at least MSRP, even with some test drive miles on it with people beating the crap out of it.
Old 11-19-2002, 08:04 PM
someone

Originally posted by PhoenixINX
Thumbsdown to dealers letting people RAG on Zs that will actually belong to someone someday.
I agree and I wasn't going to until the slaesman did, and i smelt the clutch he was burning, then I decided well **** it i'm not buying this one. I mean the salesman was beating it to hell. And that was after I asked him how this was driven prior to the test drive and he goes "not hard" and continues to redline the *****.