Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

First taste getting pulled over cuz it's a Z

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 10:30 PM
pj550v12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First taste getting pulled over cuz it's a Z

Well it finally happened tonight. Driving home on a street that was one lane with a speed limit of 35, I got stuck behind a crazy guy doing 25 tapping his breaks the whole time. I almost just dopped gears and flew by him in a no pass zone but I came to my senses, plus my valetine one started going off. Well the lanes split up and he actually starts to drive a normal speed, I still moved over to the right lane just because I hate being behind people. So here I am, a little bit before the cop, right on the side of the truck that was going slow before and he sees the cop on the side of the road and hits the brakes. Naturally I maintain speed since I've seen him this whole time, and I'm now in front of him. Sure enough out comes the cop to pull me over, comes to my door and asks for license and registration which I was already getting and then makes comments about my car. "Is this car new blah blah blah" You just pulled me over buddy, you dont need to comment on my car.
20 minutes later out he comes with a $93 for illegal passing. "You can plead not guilty however there are no points against your license if you pay the fine, not trying to sway you in any direction..." Whatever pal, you're a douche and I'm not paying anything... Needless to say I'm pleaing not guilty. I've never had to go to court for anything, is there anything I should know? I really think I got pulled over because of my car. I was driving 35 in a 35 zone, minding my buisness, its garbage I think, anyone else notice this in the Z?
Old 04-09-2005, 11:01 PM
zmespeed

the police just stare at me with this angry im gona get you look. i think the cops around my house have a nickname for me but i have not heard it yet. might have a little bit to do with my driving habbits to tho.
Old 04-10-2005, 01:38 AM
350z bra

dont sweat it.... i got pulled over for not signaling by the same cop who gave me a speeding ticket a month ago in my HONDA and now i hav a 350z for him to pull me over in... He actually remembered my name lol.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:10 AM
Netko350Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

True story...My next door neighbor is a cop and he jokes that he has already put my "Car" on the watch list.

My comment back to him..."try to keep up with me when you try to pull me over!!!"

Seriously, he jokes about it all the time. I hope I can use him for when I get pulled over by saying to the officer, My neighbor is a respected officer of the law!!!

Never hurts to be friends with a cop. All winter long I would snow blow his driveway so when he came home from 2nd shift he would remember who helped him!
Old 04-10-2005, 05:20 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Same with me Shawn. EVERY patient I ever see that is a cop, I go ABOVE AND BEYOND to be nice! You can never have too many friends in law enforcement when you are a Z owner.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:29 AM
Netko350Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

He can cut his own dam grass this summer!!!!
Old 04-10-2005, 06:00 AM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Wait..."illegal passing"? But you said you got in the right lane. Unless you get back into the left lane immediatly after passing someone then it's not considered passing. But from what you said it sounds like you got into the right lane when one lane became two. Correct? If so...there is nothing illegal about that.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:23 AM
lane myers

Originally Posted by pj550v12
Needless to say I'm pleaing not guilty. I've never had to go to court for anything, is there anything I should know? I really think I got pulled over because of my car.

i've had a bunch of buddies go to court for small traffic claims like this, they brought a lawyer, which the cost of the lawyer was probably more than the ticket to begin with, but its the principal of the thing, if you've done nothing wrong, then why pay fine, plus i'd imagine its pretty satisfying to have the judge dismiss your ticket in front of the cop. if you have a buddy thats a cop or a lawyer it would be worthwhile to talk to them first before you go in to court, or just hire a lawyer, but you probably wouldnt need to argue this sucessfully, so long as you didnt go back in the left lane once passed that slow car...
Old 04-10-2005, 07:40 AM
pj550v12

Yeah, the road was one lane, then split into two at which time I got into the right lane, the other guy slowed down so I was in front of him, then the lane merged into one lane so I was now in front of the guy. I didn't think I did anything wrong, so I'm just gonna say that when I go to court. I have a friend thats a lawyer too so I'll see what he says. Its not like the ticket is a huge deal, but its the principle which I'm sure all of you can agree. Oh btw I'm 19 . . . but I'm sure that didn't have anything to do with it . . .
Old 04-10-2005, 07:42 AM
BobaFettm

I feel for ya... PJ... I got my first ticket with it the first week... for accelerating to quickly no squealing... that was stupid... but then I did something stupid and I was speeding and got busted yesterday... 10 over in a 70... so 2 points + $115... ugh!
Old 04-10-2005, 08:14 AM
nicolaycastro

Well it kinf of happened to me once. I was on a 35 zone going around 48, in weston florida, were they have cameras in every single light, so my radar always goes off as x band which I know is never a cop. anyways I was going through a light and my radar went off so I mute it, then I saw a few blocks ahead two cops on the side of the road, I turned to see my radar and it read K band, so I immediatly hit the brakes. The pulled me over, but I think they didnt get my acctual speed, since they didnt give me the ticket. They just asked me for my licence and registration, went away and started looking at my 19" gunmetal with polished lip wheels (RH J8). They came back and told me to slow down "a blue car like this is hard to not get noticed".

Well but for the rest of the tickets I have gotten I have sent to court through an attorney, and have got them all dismissed.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:28 AM
hk350

ya i believe so. i got pulled over in a parking lot outside of a night club once. I was waiting for my friend to come out of the club,so i was circling the parking lot and then i stopped infront of a no parking sign, for maybe for a minute. and a cop car sneaked up behind me, and asked me all these questions, flash light in my face, check the car serial number, etc. and maybe 5 minutes later, when they took my drivers and my info back to there car, another 6 cop cars come in all directions pretty much cornering me like i am a criminal and i was armed. it was kinda funny coz i caused a big scene outside of a club. and by the way this was when the 350z just came out, so ppl weren't really fimiliar with it. cool night tho
Old 04-11-2005, 07:11 AM
zmespeed

probably thought you were a drug dealer, waiting to make a big deal or somthing.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:17 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So did you pass him on his left or on his right? If you passed on his right, then the ticket makes sense and I would just pay the fine, especially if he was going the speed limit in the left lane. I just couldn't tell from your post where he was when you passed him. If you passed on the left and you exceeded the speed limit to do it, then all the cop had to do was clock the truck, watch you pass him, and then he can infer you were speeding during the pass. It's still a bogus ticket, but this is where the "black and white" nature of law really bites the citizen on the @$$. I personally would just pay the fine (the lawyer fees you'd pay could buy something for the car instead!) and make a note not to pass when you know there are cops around.

Sorry to hear about the hassle though...That sucks.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:39 AM
Risk

Ive only been pulled over once in my Z, it was for my exhaust. The cop told me it was too loud and he could write me for an illegal exhaust. I BS'd him into believing that it was a CARB legal exhaust (I dont think it is though) right before he took the tour around my car looking for other stuff to shake me down for. So he gets to the front of the car and notices there is no front plate, to which I BS'd him into believing that the Zs have a cooling problem and thats why he wont see too many with front plates....sucker.....so he lets that one go and suddenly notices (like a light bulb got swiched on in his head) my Sparco seats. Now he thinks he has made the bust of the century before I calmly explain to him that they are DOT approved seats that use the factory mounts. What a pain in the a$$
Old 04-11-2005, 08:42 AM
TX-Ruben

The Z is like honey to bees, or **** to flies.

Always get followed, looked at, and pulled over twice. They think they have a drug bust or something. Lots of questions, where you headed? where you coming from? How long you going to be there? I keep my car clean, so I guess I deal drugs. Azzholes.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:15 PM
js3324

Default Ohh yes...cops..

Before I start, let me just make it so clear on how DICK the cops are in my town...many many stories I can back that up with...anyway

I thought the cops were bad since I am 18 in a Z..damn was I wrong about my definition of bad. Try it in 05 "neon" blue NSX, phh, they drop what they are doing and follow you, oh, about three cars back until you stop...wow. Then they pull along side me and just grill me down, happily pulling off letting it shift at 8k...f*** him.
Gong on, my brother drives a silver WRX with a carbon fiber wing/hood..hes 21 by the way, we are driving along casually and we see a cop hiding over in a parking lot in the distance..we keep driving and he pulls us over. Supposedly, we "Didn't stop at the at the stop sign." I KNOW we did because we even saw him before it!!!! Well anyway, he starts commenting about the wing calling it a "black line" - hmm..anyway ...he went on like a condescending ***, never have I wanted to beat someone so much..atleast he let us off..
Its not just us, every time we see someone pulled over in this town, 90% of the people are or look as they are under 25. no ****.
So patiently I await the day I drive along in the NSX, minding my own business, and get pulled over...god help me...and that cop.
NEVER come to Middletown, NJ in a decent car under the age 25 - you will get a ticket. no doubt.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:12 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just concider it another tax for driving a sports car. The first one was the near $3000 the govanator got when I bought mine. For every 12 guys that buy a Z the government gets one free at that rate.

... and yes, I did just finish my income taxes.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:26 PM
Sensation350Z

meh.. bs ticket. FIGHT IT
Old 04-11-2005, 09:00 PM
ryce4u

PJ, didn't you say yout V1 was going off? that shoulda told u cops were around. oh btw. how is the V1? i was planning on buying one soon