Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

I wish that I knew what I know now...

Old 04-11-2005, 10:47 AM
Balthazar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I wish that I knew what I know now...

...when I was younger.

Hello all, I'm new here (hehe, no, really?) and I don't own a Z yet, BUT, in 3 weeks time I am going to buy one (Blue, Enthusiast), and I wanted to get some info from you guys.

As the title suggests, what do you, in retrospect, whish you would have done differently?

Did you pay sticker for a current model year Z? Wish you hadn't?

Any helpfull advice at all will be greatly appreciated.

I live in MO and (up until today) we have had some AWESOME weather and the itch to buy has just grown too strong!

But the last thing I want to do is wind up regretting this purchase. I mean sure it would be easy down the line to sell it and buy something else, but I have wanted a Z since before they came out, and I really don't want to sour this by making a rookie mistake.

Thanks for any tips or advice you can give me. I've looked around this forum and allready found some answers, and some other good info, but I wanted to make sure I got some quality input!

thanks, and I look forward to joining your ranks!
Old 04-11-2005, 04:01 PM
adrenilan

I went in with my dad he cosigned for it but he did most of the dealing and at first they would nto give us what we wanted. So me and my dad walked. They then came out the door after us and said that they would reconsider. If you live near a carmax i would check with them they sell new nissans and they give really good deals on the z. Then take the price they give to you to the dealership. Also i would start dealing now and with my experience they called and lowered the proce a few times b4 they got me to come back in. Then they gave us 30200 for my performance with side airbags and they also gave us a free spoiler stock not nismo.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:14 PM
Joeys_z

go to www.edmunds.com do some research...don't pay a penny over invoice! They can make their money on hold back cash!
Old 04-11-2005, 04:16 PM
VinUnleaded

1) Secure your financing first, i.e. Lending Tree, E-Loan...
2) Once approved bring the e-loan paperwork to dealer
3) When dealer tries to get you to use their financing tell them to beat e-loan on interest rate or else!
4) Bring your edmunds.com printout fo the "exact car" you want, show them the edmunds price for your area and tell them to meet it or bye bye.

I wasted 3 trips to 3 different dealerships...after doing so I knew which 350z I wanted, and printed the "exact" car out from edmunds.com.
I then called a dealership I had not gone to yet and told the saleman, if you sell me the car for the edmunds price ill buy it today, he said "DEAL".
2 hours later I had my car....and made them throw some freebies in too.
Did the same with my BMW....
Old 04-11-2005, 04:28 PM
Badfish25

Don't pay over invoice, you'll regret it if you do. The salesman will always give you the line.."well these cars' are really in demand so we really can't go below sticker"...total BS! work dealers against eachother and don't rush, their will always be another Z in the off chance someone buys it before you do.

Other than that, you shouldn't have any problems with te car once you get it. It has one of the highest customer satisfaction ratings. and everyone on here loves theirs (mostly) I don't think you'll regret it.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:36 AM
VinUnleaded

Also don't pay for the infamous "BS Package", where they try to make you pay $1500-$2000 extra for a "Comfort Package", i.e. Scotch Guard, wax, $25 whel locks, and $130 window tinting.
One dealership after admitting this was just a ply to pad their profits removed this charge, only to re-add as "dealer markup".
I had two words for them (Fu*k Y*u) and bought the car elsewhere, with no markup or BS package.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:43 AM
Ripper39

It wouldn't hurt to ask the dealer for fleet pricing. You get that at some dealers if you have a membership with AAA, Costco, or Sams Club.

Ripper.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:54 AM
Balthazar

This is all really good info thanks a ton guys!

I am thinking about going to the Nissan dealership down the stree tonight to start the process.

Any other tips are definitely welcome, I appreciate you guys answering my "newb" questions!
Old 04-12-2005, 07:14 AM
forgeur

The website below has most of the tips I used to buy my vehicle, I paid invoice for my '05 Enth.

The best advice I can give you is to use the Internet sales department to get pricing, they will try to give you the lowest price right upfront and get pricing from many dealers, don't use just 1 or 2, get all the regional ones, one will make you an offer you can't refuse and then use that to have the closest or best dealer match the price.

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/?x=0tek...48%3A07%202005
Old 04-12-2005, 07:22 AM
lane myers

make the salesperson show you the invoice of the car on paper. if he doesn't, say "thanks, but no thanks" and walk for the door, he'll show you the invoice on paper before you get half-way there, then you can start to bargain.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:37 AM
vladsstuff

Use the power of the internet. Send 1 email to all the Nissan dealers in your area, & let them see that you've sent this email to every dealer in your area.
In the email, tell them exactly what options you want on the car, show them the Edmunds.com invoice price for the car with the options you want. Tell them that you're looking to buy ASAP & that you're not willing to pay over invoice. See what happens. Most important - don't be in a rush. Good Luck.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:46 AM
Superhung

The only thing I would've done differently.....Hmmmm...

Force the sales guy to throw in the OEM car cover free of charge =)
Old 04-12-2005, 07:57 AM
phile

I got my Z in 03, there was no way anyone was going under MSRP. I tried, and I walked :P
Old 04-12-2005, 08:15 AM
L337350

i wish i had gone into more dealers and negotiated more.. i did a ton of internet research and e-mailing between several dealers and actually got pretty decent quotes and got the dealers i was e-mailing to compete with each other.

i bought my car from a dealer that i didnt even e-mail with.. i showed them the quotes i got (500 over invoice) and they matched it.. now i wonder how much lower i could have gotten other dealers to go if i had simply visited more of them... but what can i say? i was anxious
Old 04-12-2005, 12:41 PM
Bat

Where in MO are you at Balthazar? I live and work in Kansas City over the summer and winter vacations, but am currently attending college in Warrensburg.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:05 PM
-Ben-

You go to Central....thats where my g/f goes....I will be there this weekend actully...and I will probably transfer there next semester..

Ben
Old 04-12-2005, 01:09 PM
bodayguy

I too bought my Z in 03 and paid sticker and then some, I'm afraid.
I learned my lesson (and a bit about my mind): Don't buy the latest greatest thing, because they'll ram you for it, especially if you don't have financing or cash lined up.

Try buying a new Boxter or Vette today and it's the same story.

Thankfully, I like my Z and want to keep it for a long time, so this is the last time I get suckered.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:10 PM
bixby

Originally Posted by phile
I got my Z in 03, there was no way anyone was going under MSRP. I tried, and I walked :P
Bought mine in May of 03. I paid 1,000 below MSRP and also got the OEM bra, car cover, seat back organizer, cargo net and a road side kit.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:54 PM
MadMax76

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/?x=0tek...48%3A07%202005[/QUOTE]

I second that. I really like this site.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:34 PM
Leslie

Also the one area that can do the most damage, the one place you really gotta watch like a shark. The "Finance Dudes" cash or credit,you could end up spending thousands on addon crap you dont want or need. Sure there are some guys who are great, but alot are not, be careful.

Good luck

Last edited by Leslie; 04-12-2005 at 03:37 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I wish that I knew what I know now...