Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Stillen does it again.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 09:48 PM
HankVQ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stillen does it again.

So I just ordered a carbon fiber hood from Stillen to house my recently purchased Stage three supercharger kit and the hood showed up in pieces. Naturally I refused the shipment and off it went back to Stillen. So I talked to my Stillen rep. today to find out when they will send me another hood and he tells me that they cannot ship me another hood until the broken one shows up and they recieve compensation from the shipping company. Sounds like BS to me. They say it will be at the minimum two weeks before they can even ship one to me. He proceeds to tell me that I can purchase another hood and that when they get reembersed they will refund me for the first one but it will be about a week before they could send it to me, unbelievable! I can understand them waiting to recieve the broken one before sending out a new one but why should I have to wait for them to get compensated? Any Advice?
Old 04-15-2005, 10:09 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

I don't really think it's B.S. I think they're just playing it safe. It might not be the best way to keep a customer, though.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:36 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can understand them waiting to recieve the broken one before sending out a new one but why should I have to wait for them to get compensated?
that is not a good way to do business.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:19 PM
xswl0931

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like BS to me. You've already paid for the product and I have to assume that they can check with the shipping company that the shipment was refused so they know you're not trying to scam them out of two hoods. There's no reason not to send you another one now. I've had issues with products before and the seller has almost always sent out a replacement before receiving the original.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:31 PM
Janus

Thats S.O.P. for mail/web order with poor customer servace.

My work once bought a $2,000.00+ computer monitor, and it came to us round. (namely to say it was busted).

We refused the shipment right off, but the website we ordered it from refused to ship another one until they received the refused one back. Which is returned via UPS ground.

So, the company exec called up the website, canceled the order, but the website refused to refund the shipping. So1 then he contacted the credit card company gave them the details and claimed mail fraud.

Next day, transaction was reimbursed.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:51 PM
teh RedUnit

I guess it depends on the company, but where I work (Purchasing for the Physics Department at my University) we buy tons of stuff every day and we also return/exchange items regularly. The bigger/well known companies always ship out the replacement and once we get it, we send back the broken item.

Not all companies do this, but it's definitely a sign of a trustworthy company.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:17 AM
HankVQ

Yes, I totally can understand wanting to recieve the damaged goods first or at least speak with the shipping company to find out what happened, but to refuse to send out another hood till they recieve compensation from the shipper is wrong and a poor way to run a buisness.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:45 AM
ajk4

i recently bought an oil cooler from stillen, and after mounting it and changing my oil/filter and all that crap i went to start the car and it just sprayed oil all over the radiator. about a half quart sprayed all over the radiator and everywhere else, so i had to clean that crap up and use liquid detergent/water to clean the oil off the radiator. i looked at the darn thing a hundred times before i installed it and nothing. it turns out the return hose busted from just the oil pressure at idle (although it was probably messed up on the inside to begin with).
Old 04-16-2005, 03:12 PM
Lerxst

That's unreasonable. Waiting for the the hood to get back would be an effective control so they don't get taken, but awful trust in their customers. As for waiting to get reimbursed from UPS... that's between them and UPS. That has nothing to do with you.

If there are acceptable alternatives to Stillen for you, I'd recommend you consider it.
Old 04-16-2005, 03:19 PM
HankVQ

Well living here in California the CARB certification of their supercharger kit is the reason I bought it to begin with. In order to run their supercharger you have to have their hood for clearance. If somebody else made a hood that would clear the supercharger I would consider it.
Old 04-16-2005, 06:07 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stillen has been doing that chit for a while now . They did the same thing to me and my RT cats , that are a piece of chit to begin with . Stillen has a bad rep for doing crap like this .There is even a web site made by a guy thats been ripped off and f--- over by them time and time again
Old 04-17-2005, 01:53 AM
jreiter

When you guys refuse a shipment, do you actually make the delivery guy stand there and wait while you open your package and inspect it? I guess in some cases the box could be so mangled that it's obvious something is broken inside, and in that case I could see making the guy wait. But in other cases (if it's not obvious), I can't see making him wait. I mean, heck, we receive so many packages almost daily at my office that there's simply no way we could have the UPS guys wait while we checked each one. I suppose you just do so on the packages that look thoroughly destroyed.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:51 AM
HankVQ

Originally Posted by jreiter
When you guys refuse a shipment, do you actually make the delivery guy stand there and wait while you open your package and inspect it? I guess in some cases the box could be so mangled that it's obvious something is broken inside, and in that case I could see making the guy wait. But in other cases (if it's not obvious), I can't see making him wait. I mean, heck, we receive so many packages almost daily at my office that there's simply no way we could have the UPS guys wait while we checked each one. I suppose you just do so on the packages that look thoroughly destroyed.
Yeah it was pretty obvious that the hood was broken without opening the box. The truck driver actually suggested that we open it. Usually I wouldn't make the delivery guy wait while I open a package but in this situation I knew something was up.
Old 04-17-2005, 07:00 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They should send the second hood today after charging your credit card for it. When the broken one returns they credit you completely for the first one and shipping both ways on it and one way on the second. They ought to throw in a discount coupon too - 15% off the next purchase.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:11 AM
lowrider

Stillen - Never bought anything from them - Never Will Just way too much crap on the web from customers to mess with these guys. Also, they don't monitor forums. Either they don't care or are too stupid to realize how important Customer Service really is. Some day this will come back and bite them in the butt. Steve Millen, you really should be listening

And guys, we really can show how we feel, but NOT GOING TO THEIR OPEN HOUSE. They hold one once a year, and a bunch of "Z" and "G" guys go. Why whould do this

Lou

Last edited by lowrider; 04-17-2005 at 09:14 AM.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:04 PM
2003z

Originally Posted by lowrider
Also, they don't monitor forums.
They do monitor the forums, or did at one point. I posted about a problem air fuel ratio with my supercharger last year and got a pm from them telling me to contact the head of their R&D department.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:23 PM
blazinZ

thats not cool. sux to have to wait for your parts to come in especially when its extra time and BS like that.

Good luck with it!