Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

why synthetic?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2002, 09:38 AM
wise_1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why synthetic?

you know.... i fail to understand why people use synthetic oil?
i mean i know they are suppose to be more slik and better for the moving parts, etc.etc... but the thing they don't understand is carbon (by-product) is here to stay... carbon can't be dissolved and can't magically disappear.... the only way to get rid of the carbon is to get it out of the system, thus change the oil.. and this carbon is what makes the oil dirty... so instead of using more expensive or more slik oil, just change the oil more often...

i guess the best way would be to use synthetic and still get an oil change every 3000 miles, like a clock work....

but i really doubt that many of us are doing that...

am i wrong?
Old 11-22-2002, 10:02 AM
nosuchsol

Synthetic oil has a higher tolerance to heat which can be very important in keeping the engine running optimally in all conditions. It's also better at pulling heat off the metal than a conventional. And it causes less friction therefore less wear and .000001 extra HP.

You're paying a little more but it's worth it if you ask me. I'd much rather pay 10.00 more for that. And it really matters what car you drive also. I used it in my Z32, but I don't use it in my 'teg. Conventional oil is good, and can be used in every car... some people like to baby the car a little bit more than others. =)
Old 11-22-2002, 10:36 AM
mwaller

I don't prescribe wholeheartedly to the "extended service interval" philosopy of using synthetics. They get dirty just like mineral base oils. However, in addition to all the inherent advantages of using synthetic over regular, I've heard that synthetics generally contain a much better addative package - detergents, anti-wear compounds etc. Because synthetic costs like 4x as much, they put more expesive things in it. Regular oil is practically a commodity, so there's not much incentive to doctor the hell out of it... Nevertheless, I plan to use synthetic in my Z, but change it every 3K miles like I used to do with my other cars with regular oil. I figure I can't hurt, except by making me poorer :-)
Mika
Old 11-22-2002, 10:49 AM
mydogscool

Superior lubrication, penetrates everything, unaffected by temperature, and the ability to afford it.
Redline goin in motor, tranny, and differential.
Old 11-23-2002, 03:06 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Another big positive with synthetics is the fact that it flows better in cold weather, oiling the upper parts of the engine that much quicker. That cold startup phase is where a lot of engine wear occurs, and the quicker the better.

I run 0w30 in my Syclone in the winter, so the oil will get to the turbo that much quicker. Probably isn't a significant improvement, but it sounds good in theory.

On my current car, I've always run synthetic, but have gone to a 4500 mile change interval instead of 3000 miles. That is still about 50% life remaining according to the computer that supposedly calculates needed changes with engine usage.