Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Wheel Locks

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 08:29 AM
Penguin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Locks

Question. Wll any wheel locks do, or are there ones that are better than others? Also, how do they really work? As long as you have the wheel lock tool, can't you still steal the wheels? Theifs can easily get the key right?
Old 04-20-2005, 08:37 AM
Camel

Wheel locks are a deterrent mainly. It makes stealing the wheels harder, but not impossible. The idea is that there are several different brands and many, many key types/shapes. The odds of the punk having the key to your specific locks are not in his favor, and typically they aren't going to want to hang around trying different ones either. Most theives will look for easy targets, so it's likely they will not bother trying to get your wheels and risk getting caught from it taking too long messing with the locks. It's easier to go find someone who didn't bother with the locks. Just my $.02. There are several different brands, I always use either OEM from the dealer or Pep Boys actually sells McGards which are good. I'm sure the OEM ones are Mcgard or some other brand anyway. I have the McGards from Pep Boys on both the Z and the Xterra. They are like $25...

http://www.mcgard.com/default2.asp

I forgot to mention, don't just throw your wheel key in the glove box or center console. If your wheels are nice enough, the thief might chance that you were that stupid and break the window to check. The catch 22 here is you need to leave the key with the car in case you get a flat. I have the keys in both vehicles hidden.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:57 PM
microsteve40
Know it all

I've always wondered about this, but never heard of anyone doing it, but couldn't you put 2 different wheel locks on each wheel? I guess you could do 5 different sets of locks, or even 20 individual locks, but I always thought 2 different ones would provide extra security at a reasonable rate.

I just ordered new rims, so I'll definitely have to go pick up a set of locks. Do they come in silver? I'd like to get the Volks, but I don't really like the colors.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:14 PM
Camel

I recently saw a Tahoe with "dubs" and the guy had a lock on every lug. Seems like a PITA to me, bit I'll bet nobody bothers to try and steal them...
Old 04-21-2005, 12:07 AM
microsteve40
Know it all

Originally Posted by Camel
I recently saw a Tahoe with "dubs" and the guy had a lock on every lug. Seems like a PITA to me, bit I'll bet nobody bothers to try and steal them...
Yeah, I bet nobody does. The thing is, thieves can get anything, if they want to put the effort in. The good thing for us is that they tend to choose cars/wheels/stereos that are easiest to steal. So locking lug nuts, while they may not be perfect, may be enough of a deterrent to make the thief go to the next car. That's why I was thinking 2 on each wheel, with different 'keys' so there is that much more of a deterrent factor.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:45 AM
mikewagon

dont they also sell universal wheel lock breakers at pepboys?
Old 04-21-2005, 01:22 AM
nicolaycastro

Originally Posted by mikewagon
dont they also sell universal wheel lock breakers at pepboys?
yep, I also heard once that some theives might even use nitrogen to freez the locks and then hammer them out (???). But like if was mentioned before by having locks at least you reduce the chances of having your wheels stolen.
Old 04-21-2005, 01:34 AM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what do you guys think about 7-sided lugnuts as a theft deterrent?