Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Bay Area dealers suck!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 09:49 PM
n8236

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bay Area dealers suck!!!!

I've emailed 10 dealers within the greater Bay Area and only about 5 responded. One of them said I was nuts to try invoice (Broadwalk, rude sales, don't deal with them). And the other four had to sell the enthusiast w/ freakin' added on crap like carpets, kick plate, and all that $hit which I don't need. I was fine w/ paying maybe half their total invoice price, but they won't even touch Edmund's 26,495 invoice, wtf? I keep reading these posts that people are able to hit invoice, what the heck am I doing wrong? I'm sure if I say, "OK, I'll buy it tomorrow if you dip even one penny under dealer invoice," they'd prolly ok it. But I can't do that yet because I'm still shoppin for a price @ or under invoice! I do have a car for trade-in, but I'm sure they'll give me a lot less for what I'll ask (2002 Acura RSX base automatic, selling it for 13k firm w/ a good amount of mods. Yes I know the mods are worthless in this scenario).

Some of the internet managers seem to have completely ignored my request as if i'm joking around with them, lol. Guess I'll have to send a follow-up email to see what's up, sigh, fhuckin' fgts, so angry.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:20 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

You may get more leverage in person... the dealership I got mine from doesn't sell Nissans anymore (Ellis Brooks in SF), but I'd bet they would get really close to invoice (really competitive pricing when I shopped). Try dealing with a salesman in person...

BTW, Edmunds' TMV indicates that you should be paying some over $1K from invoice if you're buying in the Bay Area.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:27 PM
n8236

True that, TMV does show that. But that value is sorta misleading if you think about it. The first two years the car has been in production, ppl have paid well over invoice or even MSRP. And a minority of ppl prolly got @ or below invoice just within' this year and a half. Thus those #s will keep the TMV well above invoice unless all of a sudden Nissan decides to slash 5k off MSRP to every 350z and a mad rush of ppl buy'em. Then, would the TMV be driven towards being invoice.

But I did a lot research on this site and others recently and a lot of ppl have paid @ invoice or just a couple hundred above it, and none of my offers have come that close. But those buyers on this board did not say if they had any trade-ins or not, so it's hard to say if those #s are accurate.

I am doing a straight buy and selling my RSX in private, so I guess that's why I dun have might pricing leverage near invoice.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:49 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

Did these invoice buyers purchase in CA or the Bay Area? I have a feeling that since sales haven't really slowed too much in CA (as compared to other parts of the country), so invoice pricing may not be a feasible option (or difficult at best).

In any case, good luck! Hope that you'll be joining the owners club soon
Old 04-21-2005, 11:53 PM
330R

You might want to try dealers in the Central Valley area (Stockton, Modesto)
Old 04-21-2005, 11:54 PM
n8236

Plz excuse my language in my first post, I was just so mad that I couldn't even get a decent deal on at invoice. Some were from Cali and they somehow were able to get it at invoice.

But I do have a trade-in, but still owe about 3k on it. It's an automatic RSX base. I really don't know how the trade-in game works for dealers, but I know they can be shady about it. Any insights on how to negotiate a new car w/ a trade-in would be great. All I know is that to NEVER tie a trade-in w/ a new car cuz the dealer will try to trick u w/ their little sneaky ways. I doubt I will get 13k for my RSX, but if i do, then I'd prolly do ok. I did get 13k for it using Carsdirect w/ good condition. Still doubt i'll get that amount.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:48 AM
BigMike

You will never get invoice pricing if you have a trade. If you want the absolutely best deal, you're going to have to sell the RSX and then go to the dealer empty handed. I've never heard of anyone getting "the best" deal they can on a car when trading. The main problem is the majority of people are upside down in their car loans and there is always negative equity. A dealer will never give you retail for your car unless you pay MSRP or more for the new car. So if you get what you want for your RSX, you won't get the deal you want on the Z. If they give you wholesale for your car, they might cut the Z close to invoice but I doubt it. Most dealers want to give you wholesale for your car and want you to pay full retail for their car.

And yes, the mods on your RSX are worthless to a dealer and scare most private buyers away. Mods give the impression that a car has been abused. Even if someone is looking to buy a car a mod it, they usually want to do the mods themselves. Its just like in the Harley world. You can put a ton of chrome on the bike but you'll never recover the cost. Just the way it is.

Carpet, kick plates, etc., all come from the factory. They don't add that much to the car and you're going to want floor mats anyway. Also, I'm not sure if you're just pissed off because of the way they're treating you, but it might help if you don't give them attitude. The best time to buy a car is the last couple days of the month. They always want to end the month with more car sales and will deal more aggressively. Also, the Bay area is the most expensive place in the country to live. Look at Nissan dealers in the entire state. What's the big deal driving a few hours to save some money. When I'm looking for a car in Atlanta, I contact dealers here, in FL, AL, TN, and SC. I can always get a buddy to drive me a few hours to pick up the car. Some dealers will even deliver the car to you. Just depends.

Another idea is to sell the RSX and look for an '04 or '05 Z with very low miles that someone "must sell". Its an advantage to buy a used car from a private seller in GA because you don't have to pay sales tax. Not sure about CA. Their loss might be your gain.

Good luck with your purchase.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:11 AM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love it when people get this pissed off cause they can't find someone to GIVE them a car at invoice. I think people forget it is NOT their god given right to be afforded the opportunity to purchase their 350Z at invoice.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:14 AM
King Tut

Originally Posted by n8236
And the other four had to sell the enthusiast w/ freakin' added on crap like carpets, kick plate, and all that $hit which I don't need
If you don't need them, then you might as well order one cause that stuff comes from the port installed and they aren't just going to take them off and sell you the car without them. It is very rare to find one without the kick panels, floor mats, trunk mat, and cargo package.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:57 AM
zzz350

I bought mine at Boardwalk and had an awesome experience. However, the sales guy that I used, sent me a card telling me he is now selling MBs in Hayward, maybe that explains the first post. However, the service manager at Boardwalk was a douchbag.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:22 AM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

i bought mine at Falore nissan for $500 above invoice but that was back then. Stop by Nissan Falore in Sunnyvale, looking for Mr Kim.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:40 AM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

I got mine from
Steve Pangelina
Internet/Fleet Manager
Santa Cruz VW - Nissan - Dodge (1616 Soquel Ave, Santa Cruz)
831.420.3817 direct
stephenp@sc-superstore.com

He got me my Enth, in the color I wanted, PPW (and not even on their lot but in Vacaville), delivered to my house with manual transmission, floor mats, splash guards, kick plates, side airbags, trunk mat and cargo package for 28850 plus tax and dmv fees. This was the same amount he had originally quoted me for a silver one on his lot.

I am not sure if I could have gotten a better price, I did not even try, but he was a great guy to work with and absolutely no pressure and I got everything I wanted.

Chris
Old 04-22-2005, 08:54 AM
longbowe

Yeah, you get better results in person. Also, you're what those in the industry call a "shopper"; they don't like your type, because invoice means pretty much no commission. The best indication of the price you can get is if you go to carsdirect.com and price it out with all the parts that you do want. Print it out and take it to a dealer for leverage. Also, if you go in person during the last of the month, certain dealers will be under pressure to outsell their competitors, so you might get price breaks that way.

Lastly, understand your financing options. There are certain dealerships that won't be hard to haggle down to your price point, because they think they can get you on the monthly payments. Beware when they suddenly switch tactic, become all nice, and tell you they want to help you out and make sure you can afford your payments. Not that you shouldn't worry about payments, but it's easier for them to get you to trust them on payment, because the number will never add up to the sale price due to present value and interest rates.

Good luck!
Old 04-22-2005, 09:14 AM
sokudo9l6

All you have to do is go to alot of dealerships IN PERSON. Pick out a salesman from any dealerships you visited that seem like they really want to sell. Don't pick a dealership that has the car you want because you can always get the car you want shipped to you.

I have to agree with a few others that you're not going to get the best deal with a trade in. Trust me...i recently went thru this. They were willing to give me a low price for the Z but the dealer was trying to screw me over with a low a$$ trade-in. I saw what they were doing so i changed my mind about trading in. So I ended up asking my parents for a few grand to cover up the remainder of the cost so i can pay in cash.(i know i'm spoiled ) Anyways, i ended up getting a 05 enthu w/ floor mats, trunk mat, splash guard, kick plate, cargo package for a few bucks under $29500 OTD.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:26 AM
MadMax76

I ordered mine yesterday at invoice without getting my butt out the chair. It took me about a month to play dealers against one another but i guess it paid off. Be patient, do the research and be nice to the dealers. If they don't give you what you want now it doesn't mean they won't give it to you at all. It took a while to research but if you have time go to www.carbuyingtips.com and learn. If not for that site I would've been paying a lot more money than I am paying now.

Good luck!
Old 04-22-2005, 11:20 AM
n8236

Thanks for the trade-in info, kinda figured they would try to screw me w/ it.

Sokudo, that's a good price man! I did't come close to that. They're all atleast asking for 30,500 otd, nutty. I wouldn't say I gave them a hard time since I dealt w/ them online. Emails are very unforgiving when it comes to character of a person and perhaps some of them took it the wrong way when I tried to low ball them lol. This is my first experince shoppin' for a car online and thought, after all the reading about how much easier it was online, that it would muh more frustration and hassle free lol. I am going to visit the dealers this weekend to see what I can do in person. I think i'm more intimidating in person anyways lol.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:28 AM
baron

I got my car for a few hundred under invoice at Boardwalk. The sales people were very courteous too. But my car was an 03 (I bought car in Mar 04) with 100miles.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:01 PM
drifter23

Got mine for $400.00 over invoice back in 2004 for an 2004 Base. (San Leandro Nissan)
Old 04-22-2005, 12:25 PM
mgl

i got my z at broadwalk nissan. my salesman, Russell was very nice and courteous.
paid a lil above invoice, but then again this was back in 2003.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:33 PM
2004z
Sleeps in 350Z

Dude, buying a car at invoice is possible, but it's certainly not the norm. If it was that easy, then everyone on this board would have bought the car at invoice.

Quick Reply: Bay Area dealers suck!!!!