Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Am I the only one sick of how our AC works????????

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 07:20 PM
basam350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wack that sucker with a hammer a sh*t load of times, it won't turn on then!
Old 04-22-2005, 07:22 PM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Have you noticed if you unplug the controls it runs all the time?
Old 04-22-2005, 08:10 PM
Darthvol

Originally Posted by basam350z
Wack that sucker with a hammer a sh*t load of times, it won't turn on then!
Where I'm from we call that a little crimson cervical area engineering! And if the pieces fly off after making a few "adjustments" with the hammer, well, just put 'em back on and hold 'em in place with a little "Alabama chrome" (duct tape).
Old 04-22-2005, 08:58 PM
joust75

Originally Posted by KeithZ
Dude, do you always wake up in a snit? Why did you buy the car in the first place. There is an off button, use it and shut up. Or trade it in on a Honda economy box without auto climate control. Take it out to the woods, shoot the AC compressor and burn it. You have many options.

I posted this thread as a rant. partly serious and partly joking around. Yet I knew some jackasss would end up responding like this. If you don't like hearing complaints then don't open threads that obviously are a complaint.
This is a forum established for people to share information and sometimes gripes. If you cant handle that without being rude to other members then get out.
Old 04-23-2005, 02:59 AM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

>> Take it out to the woods, shoot the AC compressor and burn it. You have many options.

Remember, only YOU can prevent a forest fire.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:32 PM
zmann

Well, the fix is to put it in manual fan speed mode and push the ac off. you can also put the auto air direction in manual mode, as well by moving the selector off the auto setting. Then, you don't have to full with it again.

All cars these days as far as I know automatically engage the ac when you put it in defrost/defog mode. Even my pick-up truck that doesn't have auto climate control does it, but the light just doesn't come on. AC is more than just blowing cold air in the summer. it dehumidifies, too, all year long when needed.

It really isn't that big a deal. I like it better than the alternative of NOT having the availability of auto climate control. I can just imagine the complaints had our cars NOT come with auto climate control.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:39 PM
Destiny350Z

Originally Posted by tacomaboy
What pisses me off is how it constantly switches from re-circ to fresh, and I have to smell the morons exhaust in front of me in traffic. It should STAY on whatever I set it, not decide to switch to fresh just for the hell of it!
Hmmmm I can't say that I have had mine do that....maybe mine is broke...but in a good way!!
Old 04-23-2005, 07:53 PM
Masterfulks

The ac bugs me when it's just hot enough to turn on the ac, but the car is thinking that I need the heater on. So I turn it all the way to 60 degrees and I still get warm air.... I dont care if the car thinks it's 55 outside, I want cold air!
Old 04-23-2005, 10:08 PM
Darthvol

Originally Posted by zmann
Well, the fix is to put it in manual fan speed mode and push the ac off. you can also put the auto air direction in manual mode, as well by moving the selector off the auto setting. Then, you don't have to full with it again.

All cars these days as far as I know automatically engage the ac when you put it in defrost/defog mode. Even my pick-up truck that doesn't have auto climate control does it, but the light just doesn't come on. AC is more than just blowing cold air in the summer. it dehumidifies, too, all year long when needed.

It really isn't that big a deal. I like it better than the alternative of NOT having the availability of auto climate control. I can just imagine the complaints had our cars NOT come with auto climate control.
I agree. There is simply no way to design a car which won't engender gripes from someone; I suppose that's one of the reasons I find such threads amusing. We're all different; that's what makes the world interesting. I love all the exhaust sound level posts, ranging from "anything louder than stock would be too loud" to "I want my car to be so loud people think the world is coming to an end when I drive by."

In my line of work, I'm constantly around folks who drive luxo-boats and are bragging about how "automatic" everything on their car is; the general opinion is, "the more automatic, the better."

OTOH, those with control issues, like my wife, HATE automation in all it's forms; her idea of a good, loaded interior is XM, single CD, and power windows and locks. She also has a Z Roadster, and after griping about driving a manual for years in Nashville traffic (lack of control, again), she went with an auto in the Z, her first non-manual EVER, and she now says she misses pumping the clutch.

I fall somewhere in the middle. I owned an '03 G35 6MT coupe, and the climate control was a little TOO automatic for my taste; the Z seems to be the right mix of automation and manual. You can do what zmann said and adjust the fan speed for yourself and turn off the A/C, but I find the Z "knows" better than any other car I've owned when the A/C NEEDS to be on, regardless of outside temp. and even w/o me turning on the defroster, to keep the windows from fogging. I do frequently fiddle with the temp ****, however, as 72 on the **** won't always keep it 72 inside the car; and of course, manually adjusting the temp **** also "adjusts" the fan speed.

I don't worry about the recirc. button much, though, esp. in the summer, because I usually have the top down!
Old 04-24-2005, 05:39 PM
bhobson333

Originally Posted by BigMike
In my '05, I have no problem selecting Recirculation with the A/C off.
I guess I'm going to have to break down and buy that '05, then.

I came from a long line of Hondas where you have total control over the climate control and I loved it. You can switch on and off the compressor and choose fresh or recirculate at will. The primary, biggest thing that I hate about my 2003 350Z is the climate control system that limits my choices!!! I need to find someone that will let me re-program my computer!!!

Last edited by bhobson333; 04-24-2005 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:59 PM
G-fanatic

Originally Posted by kpiskin
I have a Volvo that does the same thing, and I was upset about it but then read more in the owner's manual. The reason for the A/C being on alot is because it defrosts the windows more quickly because it takes humidity out of the air, so even in cooler temps the A/C can help clear the glass faster than regular heat. Additionally for the Volvo, if I'm in climate control mode the A/C light being on means nothing. The A/C could be on or off depending on the situation. I'm not sure if for the Z this is the case though.

Kpiskin is absolutely correct. The "AC" doesn't just provide cold air. It has benefits no matter what the temp is outside, it acts as a 'humidifier' which is good when there's a lot of moisture in the car. You'll notice that defrosting your windshield with AC turned off doesn't have nearly the same affect as with it turned on. So maybe Nissan is more worried that people will forget to turn AC 'on' rather than 'off'.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:42 PM
rolling

i agree with most here, it shuldnt come on at EVERY situation, but at the same time like one guy said, he would only use it in the summer and then only seldom, well
the A/C system has to be used to circulate and lubricate the seals, fittings, gascuits, and compressor ect.. so they wont dry out, most manuals and mechanics recommend regular usage for those reasons..... "dont use it youll loose it"

just liek 4x4's recommend running in 4x4 mode at least 10 mins per mo to keep things working/ lubricated..
Old 04-27-2005, 05:58 AM
KeithZ

Originally Posted by nbdyfcnsqnc
>> Take it out to the woods, shoot the AC compressor and burn it. You have many options.

Remember, only YOU can prevent a forest fire.
Perhaps an automatic fire extinguishing system that can't be turned off?

I'm calling BS on this one. Nissan is trying to get us to buy more cars by pissing us off with the AC until we rant on some forum and some redneck goads into shooting & burning it without a fire suppression system.