Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Nose Mask ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 09:17 PM
MirZa w da Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nose Mask ?

Has any1 ever used or using the nose mask for the Z ?
how is it ?
i heard the inside is rough and could do some scratch to the bumper , am i rite ?
Old 04-24-2005, 10:06 PM
HenryLee

I have it. It's ugly as f*ck, but it does the job. I only put it on for longer trips on the freeway. The inside it not too rough....it hasn't done any damage to my bumper. Only if you leave the car bra on for extended periods of time in sunlight or if water gets in between it and the bumper will your paint start to fade

Just my two cents....oh and it's also a cince to put on (less than five minutes)
Old 04-24-2005, 10:18 PM
MirZa w da Z

Only if you leave the car bra on for extended periods of time in sunlight or if water gets in between it and the bumper will your paint start to fade

==>>> what clear bra u mean ?
Old 04-24-2005, 10:22 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by MirZa w da Z
Only if you leave the car bra on for extended periods of time in sunlight or if water gets in between it and the bumper will your paint start to fade

==>>> what clear bra u mean ?
I think he's referring to water that is trapped between the nose mask and the bumper of the car. I've heard the same thing on different automotive boards as well. Basically, you might want to remove the nose mask if it becomes wet/saturated in order to protect your paint.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:33 AM
MirZa w da Z

ohhhh ...ic..
i mean...is it that TIGHT (the nose mask) to the bumper that could cause damage to the paint of the front bumper that just got repainted ?
i thought i could just use the nose mask after i got the front bumper repainted .
after a month use it , then i installed a clear bra .
Old 04-25-2005, 02:16 AM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i used the mask on my z for about a year, thru rain and car washes without any problems. now that i have a lip, the mask won't fit, and the nicks i'm getting from the road are MUCH worse than anything the mask would cause. i need a clear bra!
Old 04-25-2005, 03:47 AM
Sz28r

I've used the oem nose mask from day one - - my Z commute is 70 miles a day (florida highways) and without it my nose would be ruined - my windsheild is sand blasted

I have three masks that I rotate, I never leave it on if it gets wet and take it off every couple of days to clean the sand out from under it.

Anyhow - almost 38K miles and my nose is almost perfect (except around the reflectors where the mask doesn't cover)

Good luck
Old 04-25-2005, 09:59 AM
engiNERD350Z

I have one. It's becoming a pain sometimes during the rain, but does its job very well.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:07 AM
Low J.
Banned

I've had them before and they eventually wear through your paint in spots where it attaches tightly to your car. For me, they do more damage than they protect after a period of time. Not to mention on Z's they look like A$$!!!!
Old 04-25-2005, 06:04 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use one for highway driving where every fool with a pickup truck and a credit card is hauling a cubic yard full of sand or rock down the highway at 70 mph with their tail gate down and no tarp. I honestly feel like doing a drive by on these fools when I see them.

Around town I generally take my bra off and drive without one ... some times the wife does too!

I wouldn't have a clue as to where you might get one of these things wet ... it never rains here ... and I wouldn't dare take my Z out in it if it did.

My bra is black and the car is super black so the thing doesn't look like too much @ss.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:19 PM
MirZa w da Z

Smile

I've had them before and they eventually wear through your paint in spots where it attaches tightly to your car. For me, they do more damage than they protect after a period of time. Not to mention on Z's they look like A$$!!!!

===>>> what do you mean by do more damage than protect ?
does it make a scratch or something to your bumper ? i think it's not that TIGHT the way its covered the bumper . or is it ?
Old 04-25-2005, 06:33 PM
ZZtopp

I've used the Colgan bra since day one and my front end is as perfect as the rest of the car...not a mark. It's not the best looking thing on a white car, but it's not on all the time, and it beats the alternative: a chipped front, or a dull/sratch laden clear bra.
Attached Thumbnails Nose Mask ?-bra.jpg  
Old 04-25-2005, 06:45 PM
lunartick13

I thought about getting one for my Z back when, I`am glad I did not. I went out and got a CLear Bra. Looks great all of the time, now whenever I see a Z with one,makes me kida want to puke... does not do a lot for the car in terms of looks...

Last edited by lunartick13; 04-25-2005 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:14 PM
ZZtopp

Originally Posted by lunartick13
I thought about getting one for my Z back when, I`am glad I did not. I went out and got a CLear Bra. Looks great all of the time, now whenever I see a Z with one,makes me kida want to puke... does not do a lot for the car in terms of looks...

Every clear bra I've seen looks like crap. They look okay when first put on (but hardly invisible), but they get dull and scratch easily as they age....making the car look cheap and beat. When you a see nice shiny hood and then that dull thing that looks like aged Scotch tape on the front.....

And they work only marginally well....most decent sized rocks will puncture the thing at highway speeds. You can remove them though...along with half the paint. For the same price, you could have your nose repainted at least twice.

I'll admit the vinyl bras aren't exactly beautiful, but you can pop it off anytime for a car that looks showroom new....not one that looks like a partially wrapped UPS package.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:25 PM
Jim Yandell

I guess another idea is to wait until your car is 3-4 years old and have a repaint. It will stop the compulsive worry and allow you to just enjoy your car. I recently had a bumper repaint done on my other car, a 95 Q45, and it only cost $500 in L.A. California. Just get back to the business of driving!
Old 04-25-2005, 10:27 PM
MirZa w da Z

how much ?
Old 04-25-2005, 10:43 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

how much ?
There's another one for sale in the Private Classifieds as well

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1402738
Old 04-25-2005, 11:39 PM
TChachas

New to the boards.

Personally, after using the nose mask after 6 mos. in Salt Lake/Park City, UT, I found that it did quite a bit of damage to the paint. Now that I am back in California I rarely, if not never, use it. The others advice is well though. Rotating will save you a lot of time and grief.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:47 PM
MirZa w da Z

phew...i alsmot bought that nose mask dude .
thanks for ur info ;P
Old 04-26-2005, 04:10 AM
Low J.
Banned

===>>> what do you mean by do more damage than protect ?
does it make a scratch or something to your bumper ? i think it's not that TIGHT the way its covered the bumper . or is it ?

yeah, on my old car there are metal brackets covered in material which hook under the bodywork to hold it in place....it wasn't a cheapo either it was a factory nosemask....anyways, in the places where all those brackets attach it just grinds any road gunk right into your paint and after a while it does a nice sandpaper job.

Quick Reply: Nose Mask ?