Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Get in an accident, go ahead and run...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 07:45 AM
Alang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Get in an accident, go ahead and run...

My mind is spinning right now. As I posted here, I was hit by another driver last Friday who then left the scene. I followed her for about 10 miles, and finally got her info.

This morning, I went to the Police substation to report the hit and run. I really want this woman to suffer the consequences of her actions.

The officer started filling out the report, but when she found out that I had followed the woman and eventually exchanged information, she said there was nothing else they could do.

She said that even if the hit and run is reported and the police have to visit the house of the runner, all they do is get the insurance info and leave it at that.

The lesson here is that if you are in an accident, go ahead and leave the scene. You will either get away, or you will get caught, but if you get caught, there will be no consequences.

So why exactly is it illegal to leave the scene if there are no penaltlies?

But don't get caught doing 10 over on the freeway, cuz that's really bad and you'll need a ticket.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:50 AM
10 TIL 4

Wow that sucks man. I know in most states, hit and run is considered a felony.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:09 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesn't that kinda stuff just make you want to **** fire? Well, I think at this point, I'd have to pay her a visit in the middle of the night, flatten all of her tires, key her car, and maybe pour sugar in her gas tank. As long as you don't get caught in the act, there's nothing they can do, right?

(NOTE: This member does NOT condone vandalism in any fashion, retaliatory or otherwise, but it sure would serve the driver right, and maybe make her think twice about fleeing the scene)
Old 05-02-2005, 08:27 AM
Dildorado

Revenge is a dish best served cold, wait a bit before making her pay
Old 05-02-2005, 08:52 AM
Jaki

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sux. I hope things work out for you.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:23 AM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

If insurance will cover it (accident or theft) most cops feel or treat you like you are wasting their time.

(thief stole my tailgate once)
Old 05-02-2005, 09:28 AM
Alang

Originally Posted by jcn30127
If insurance will cover it (accident or theft) most cops feel or treat you like you are wasting their time.

(thief stole my tailgate once)
Yea, thats what it felt like, although the officer that I was dealing with was very apologetic about it.

I mean, what if someone steals your car, you follow them and take it back. Are the cops just going to let the thief go? I don't see how this situation is any different.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:31 AM
Qbrozen

at the very least, you receive a ticket and get points on your license for doing that in Jersey. I'm surprised there are states that allow this to go unpunished.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:45 AM
lunartick13

The fact that you can just RUN and leave the seane of an accident doesn`t seem right, cause let`s say you got hurt and your life was at risk... you see what I mean?.. I know here in Illinois if you leave the seane it`s a falony..
One of my friends just got in an accident a few weeks back (hit another drunk) this happen like 2:00 AM, so they both agreed to leave, no one was hurt..
Old 05-02-2005, 09:47 AM
mr2fasterthanyo

correct, here in IL they but rape you. where was the accident at lunartick13? i see you are in the 'Stock as well.....
Old 05-02-2005, 10:20 AM
trash259

Originally Posted by Alang
She said that even if the hit and run is reported and the police have to visit the house of the runner, all they do is get the insurance info and leave it at that.
WTF? What police department was it ? Last time i checked Hit and Run was still a felony in Cal.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:46 AM
Alang

Originally Posted by trash259
WTF? What police department was it ? Last time i checked Hit and Run was still a felony in Cal.
San Diego Police. Yea, I thought it was a felony as well which is why I reported it. I really wanted to imagine the expression on this lady's face when the police show up at her door.

Just a simple thing, but it would have made me feel better about the whole thing if she got some sort of punishment.

The car is an easy fix. I just can't believe there will be no consequences for her behavior.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:00 PM
MadMax76

I am totally speculating here but could it be because you followed her and left the scene of the accident yourself without calling the cops. I know it might be a technicality but if your car is not damaged all that much the cops just don't want to bother. I really have no idea why cops told you what they did but hit and run is a felony in Cali for sure. Just watch the police chases on TV and listen to the dude in the helicopter comment after the runaway car hits another car. They always say that the dude will be charged with the additional hit and run.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:21 PM
maniax

Originally Posted by Alang
Yea, thats what it felt like, although the officer that I was dealing with was very apologetic about it.

I mean, what if someone steals your car, you follow them and take it back. Are the cops just going to let the thief go? I don't see how this situation is any different.
Ture
Old 05-02-2005, 12:27 PM
tekneq

ruff up your pepe with sand paper and jam it into the backside .. that would suck...
Old 05-02-2005, 05:50 PM
lunartick13

Originally Posted by mr2fasterthanyo
correct, here in IL they but rape you. where was the accident at lunartick13? i see you are in the 'Stock as well.....
I see you are in the neigborhood... From what I understand this accident took place somewhere between FoxRiver and Capentersville on River rd. neither of these two guys were going that fast so when they crashed there wasn`t a hole lot of damage.. but you are right, should they been busted both of these suckers be in jail as we speak...
Old 05-02-2005, 06:03 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Why didn't you call the police while you were following her?
Old 05-02-2005, 06:16 PM
05-Z

I've had 2 cars stolen from me, and on both times it appeared very little effort was put forth in catching the fuggers. If you're insurance doesn't satisfy you, revenge might help a little...good luck.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:11 AM
MrGraphics

A friend of mine had his car stolen twice. Each time the cops were of no help. How did he get it back? He kept doing a search on his license plate for parking tickets. When he finally got one, he just went to the location where the ticket was issued - voila, got his car back. The cops could have done that, even waited for the guy to show up and arrest him, but that means they would have to actually do some work instead of extorting money out of law abiding citizens with speeding tickets.

As Cheif Wiggum says from the Simpsons, "We're not here to help, we're here to harm."

And Cops wonder why the public hates them.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:10 AM
tekk

i dont know...i was involved in something like this where i got into an accident with the bus. the bus left the scene (i guess he didnt know) and the police gave me a form basically saying that i reported the accident but he left the scene. the accident wasnt severe enough to report to insurance and the form was just something they pd and i had. the police officer told me that if i were to be involved in an accident and left the scene, i could get away.. but if i was stopped (for say a traffic ticket) later on, and they had my plates on record for the offense, i could go to jail. the form could verify and protect me from that.
this was in texas btw.

Quick Reply: Get in an accident, go ahead and run...