Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Omg Dont Pump Sam's Gas!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 10:18 PM
tekneq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Omg Dont Pump Sam's Gas!

so almost out of gas today i pull into sams... filler up! 20 mintues later fricking white smoke is coming out of my pipes. put some heet and 104+ in it and it is a little bette but still jacked. HOPEFULLY it didnt funk up my engine. but no way it just came out of no where...DONT BUY SAMS GAS!
Old 05-03-2005, 11:34 PM
MrGraphics

I always use the same gas station to fill up. That way if I get some bad gas (which I never have) I know who to blame. There's no excuse for getting below a quarter of a tank that you HAVE to fill up at different stations.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:08 AM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad gas isn't going to cause white smoke to come out your pipes. It will just cause a little detonation and cause your car to pull timing to compensate. Your either paranoid or something else is wrong with your car.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:15 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If there were water in the fuel, that would cause the white "smoke". I think the Heet has a something to help deal with this.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:17 AM
lovetoclown

I use Sams gas in my car and the wifes. No problem here.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:47 AM
bokone

Understand that in the distribution sense that gas is gas. Most major oil companies lease space in the pipeline and when they put in one barrel they can immediately take one out on the other end. This means that when Company X puts product in the pipeline they don't wait for it to arrive at the other end. They take what is available now. They all meet the same standard. BUT, each company modifies the gas with their own additives, etc. before it is trucked to the station. So in summary gas is gas, but some is better than others.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:56 AM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kcobean
If there were water in the fuel, that would cause the white "smoke". I think the Heet has a something to help deal with this.
There would have to be quite a bit of water in there and then I don't see how the car would run even close to normal since you can't exactly ignite water like you can ignite fuel.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:04 PM
ZinMiami

Originally Posted by bokone
Understand that in the distribution sense that gas is gas. Most major oil companies lease space in the pipeline and when they put in one barrel they can immediately take one out on the other end. This means that when Company X puts product in the pipeline they don't wait for it to arrive at the other end. They take what is available now. They all meet the same standard. BUT, each company modifies the gas with their own additives, etc. before it is trucked to the station. So in summary gas is gas, but some is better than others.
I believe that you are talking about oil not gas. Take Amoco fuels for example. Thier GOLD premium is highly refined white gas. If what you say is true then they would not be able to get the same exclusive gas every time.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:37 PM
Nano

Originally Posted by ZinMiami
I believe that you are talking about oil not gas. Take Amoco fuels for example. Thier GOLD premium is highly refined white gas. If what you say is true then they would not be able to get the same exclusive gas every time.
the refineries is always the same for all the companies in a given area. Same refinery that refines Amoco refines all the other brands (in extreme rare cases some companies ship refined gas from other refineries). Let's say shell as refinery in Mexico and amoco(BP) has refinery in US. Shell will not ship refined gas in US, it will brand amoco refined gas as shell and amoco will do the same in mexico. It's called reciprocity. it's more efficient than each one shipping refined gas allover the place or having refineries allover the place. Basically a part of the production of each refinery belongs to another company and vice-versa.

there are some variances to the additives and very slight variances to quality control and that's it. You won't have a refinery for each brand in given area. Same thing for oil, oil can come from anywhere. BTW, BP = Amoco = castrol = arco = Aral = etc... are all the same company.

Last edited by Nano; 05-04-2005 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:43 PM
sisco534

Amoco is the only WHITE gas you will find. It is the best you can get. Beware of the filling truck, NEVER EVER FILL UP WHILE THEY ARE FILLING THE GAS PUMPS YOU WILL BE SORRY, it stirs up all the crud at the bottom of the tank and all kinds of water(condensation occurs) and sludge. Gas stations have to dig up the tanks every 7 years to replace them that is a long time for junk to layer the bottom and when they fill up the tanks if stirs it up.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:53 PM
kcobean

Originally Posted by ZinMiami
No, actually he's right, gas is gas. The difference is in the additives. I saw a documentary on the Discovery Channel on the nations pipeline system that delivers gas to regional storage depots. The trucks that hit the gas stations are all loaded with gas from the exact same tanks and the additives are added to the trucks. The 'white gas' you're referencing has been given an additive to change it's color. Gotta love marketing!
Old 05-04-2005, 01:06 PM
sisco534

Yea but I like my white gas. Clear is good. If it is just an additive why will it burn in kerosene lantern BUT reg gas wont???? There has to be somthing to that.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:25 PM
kcobean

Originally Posted by sisco534
Yea but I like my white gas. Clear is good. If it is just an additive why will it burn in kerosene lantern BUT reg gas wont???? There has to be somthing to that.
My guess would be that it's something in the additives, but I could be wrong. What is the Octane rating of this 'white gas'?
Old 05-04-2005, 02:23 PM
VeeTec

Read this, BP is much better imo than other gas.

My Z runs MUCH better with it.

http://subsites.bp.com/ultimate/us/about/questions.asp

It is about the additives.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:28 PM
Nano

Originally Posted by VeeTec
Read this, BP is much better imo than other gas.

My Z runs MUCH better with it.

http://subsites.bp.com/ultimate/us/about/questions.asp

It is about the additives.
oh, look... read this

http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?...t_ga_1602.html

looks similar heh?

Shell has V-power
texaco has CleanSystem3
petrocanada has Tactrol SuperClean
Agip has BluSuper
etc...

Last edited by Nano; 05-04-2005 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:40 PM
VeeTec

Originally Posted by Nano
oh, look... read this

http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?...t_ga_1602.html

looks similar heh?

Shell has V-power
texaco has CleanSystem3
petrocanada has Tactrol SuperClean
Agip has BluSuper
etc...

Not exactly, different formulas, different results, although the idea is the same.

I have tried them all, and allowed time for the ecu to adjust.

My Z always runs better with the BP/Amoco Ultimate 93.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:47 AM
bokone

Here is a little more info to rattle your head, they send all types of fuel in the same pipeline. There is not a "hard" plug or barrier between the fuels either. The mix between say, diesel and high octane gasoline is called transmix and is re-refined.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:25 AM
hypeiv

If Gas is Gas and our owners manual says don't put in engine additives then wouldn't the best gas for the Z be from the cheaper places that don't put "V-power" or "techron" in it?
Old 05-05-2005, 05:40 AM
natious_1

Hmm ... I think that we as consumers get the cheapest crap. All the purest fuel at highest octane levels is reserved for sporting events or is sold at various states. I personally add a fuel injector cleaner every 6 months or so and my 3.5 VQ engine purrs like a kitten.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:51 AM
bio911

Originally Posted by sisco534
Amoco is the only WHITE gas you will find. It is the best you can get. Beware of the filling truck, NEVER EVER FILL UP WHILE THEY ARE FILLING THE GAS PUMPS YOU WILL BE SORRY, it stirs up all the crud at the bottom of the tank and all kinds of water(condensation occurs) and sludge. Gas stations have to dig up the tanks every 7 years to replace them that is a long time for junk to layer the bottom and when they fill up the tanks if stirs it up.

I own a gas station and that is not true... Even if there is something in the tank it is filtered out when it goes to the pump into your car... The reason why some of the tanks have to be dug up is because after awhile the coating they put on the tank and pipes break down and have to be recoated... I've owned this gas station for over 8 years and every year it has to be tested and approved... if there is water or a leak in the system they will shut it down until it is fixed... to dig up a tank that is about 10,000 gallons and replace it will cost you over 200,000...