Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Damn dealer put front license plate on!! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2002 | 06:09 AM
zookie

Angry Damn dealer put front license plate on!! Help!

Dealer put front license plate on my Z. Now the front bumper has two holes on it and also has two scratch markes where the screws holds the plates onto the plastic plate holder. Is there anything I can do to hide this or do I have to get the whole front repainted? Does anyone know if California law requries the front license plate displayed or not?
Old 11-26-2002 | 06:20 AM
Zaphod 350z

A decent body shop should be able to fill it and blend it without repainting the whole bumper. it won't look perfect, but even if the dealer didn't put the bracket on, you'd still have 2 dimples on the bumper. If you want to try fixing yourself, i would suggest filling the holes with resin, using touch up paint, and a very mild compound or swirl mark remover to try to blend it.
Old 11-26-2002 | 06:58 AM
Lil Popa Pump

The dealer put mine on. Ohio law requires the plate, but I thought about keeping it off until I got busted. The dealer put it on and I was gona take it off, but I decided it is not that big of a deal. Maybe I will take it off in the future.
Old 11-26-2002 | 07:05 AM
Zaphod 350z

I'm in NY where it is quite required but i told the dealer that if they put the front plate mount on, i wouldn't take the car. I haven't had a front plate on my car for 2 years. Then again, i also told the dealer not to prep the car. they could take the plastic off and gently wipe it down, but i told them not to clean it. i wanted to do it myself. so many cars get ruined by the prep guys. especially black. no way i'm getting a brand new car with swirlmarks.
Old 11-26-2002 | 07:37 AM
ares
Veteran
Premier Member

california does require it, and in the Z you'll find cops will harrass you with any reason you give them, they know the 25$ fine or whatever really doesnt matter, its more the inconvenience of it all. luckily Im in GA where we dont need them.

as for what you could do, bondo the holes and use touch up paint, it wont be perfect, but... its the best your gonna get without painting it, which is just a waste of money.

even without the drilled holes there are 2 dents tho, so no one has a perfectly smooth bumper.
Old 11-26-2002 | 08:13 AM
j's350z

I am going through the same problem. It was highlighted all over my contract..DO NOT MOUNT FRONT PLATE.... I saw the car when it came in, reminded them not to mount it and everything was OK. Then I went to pick up the car the next day and the stupid kid that washed the car mounted the bracket...I almost had a heart attack..Same **** happened to mine, not only the 2 holes, but 2 deep indentations where the plate screws go....After bitching to the GM, they were going to replace the whole bumper. Sounds good right???? WRONG...The bumber comes unpainted which means they would have to paint it. I told the dealer it would never be right and he pretty much agreed that it is hard to match perfectly . Maybe I'm ****, but I'd rather have the holes than a bumber that doesn't match...It looks like for the aggrevation, they are going to give me a free spoiler for the car and throw in some services....I guess I can't complain too much since it is also the law here in NJ to have the front plate....Sorry for the long right up but this is my first time venting about it....
Jason
NJ
Old 11-26-2002 | 05:10 PM
Daynar

Unhappy Got Four Holes in Mine

When I took off my front plate to wax my car I found that I had four holes instead of the necessary two. It looks like the dealer's prep guy messed up and drilled the wrong wholes on the first try.

Oh well, at least it's behind the plate so you can't see it.

Since the bumper is plastic I don't think the extra holes will rust or anything.
Old 11-26-2002 | 05:55 PM
sdpearso

www.bumperplugs.com

They sell plugs for the holes in bumpers that are color matched Porsches but the common Z colors would not be a problem. I bought a pair for my Super Black track model and they match and look great. You can see them but the bumper looks "finished". They are a little expensive though.