Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Choosing between BMW 330Ci and 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2002, 08:20 AM
fatZo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was faced with a similar decision back in March before I pre-ordered my Z. Having driven both cars, let me reassure you that the Z is definitely a suprior car. The bimmer is not as powerful and less torquy. Not a very sporty ride as compared to the Z, even with the M package.

Besides, every Tom, Dick and Harry owns a bimmer. Just go sit in a coffee shop at a busy intersection and count the number of bimmers that pass by in a certain time interval. I see as many bimmers here as Neons. You will notice that most 330Ci's are silver, b/c BMW knows they have a higher off-lease resale value than other colours, so it refuses to make most factory options available on other colours besides the silvers!!! For instance, I couldn't get the M package with white colour ... crooks.

The maintenance on the bimmer is going to be a ***** too. Do yourself a favour and call the dealerships to compare how much an oil change is going to cost you for each car.

The 330Ci is due for a major facelift in the near future, but the Z's design is fresh and quite modern.

Only if you lived on my block, I'd suggest you get the bimmer The 330Ci is not a sports car, but the Z is. I PERSONALLY AM SO GLAD I DIDN'T BUY A 330CI AND OPTED FOR THE Z INSTEAD.

If you decide to get the bimmer, I suggest you get one that has at least the M sport package.
Old 11-27-2002, 08:40 AM
Dean

"The maintenance on the bimmer is going to be a ***** too."

Fatzo,

Let's not let the facts get lost in all the babbling opinions. In the United States, all new BMWs come with 3yr/36,000 free maintenance. I haven't spent a dime on maintenance on my wife's 330i over the past 2 years.

Dean
Old 11-27-2002, 09:19 AM
VR3

It's after the 3 years is when maintenance cost is an issue.
Old 11-27-2002, 09:28 AM
fatZo

Originally posted by Dean
"The maintenance on the bimmer is going to be a ***** too."

Fatzo,

Let's not let the facts get lost in all the babbling opinions. In the United States, all new BMWs come with 3yr/36,000 free maintenance. I haven't spent a dime on maintenance on my wife's 330i over the past 2 years.

Dean
Your point is appreciated, but it's moot. Maintenance under warranty is obviously covered by the warranty. I am refering to maintenance AFTER the warranty expires. Hence my oil change example (oil changes for your wife's bimmer are covered by the warranty during the 3 year period).

A mechanic friend of mine refuses to work on any new BMWs and sends them back to the dealership. They are very difficult to repair. Next time you are hungry for spaghetti, open the engine cover of your wife's car and take a peek.
Old 11-27-2002, 09:28 AM
350zSpeedRacer

Ha Ha! The Z will be cheaper to mod! Those Dinan guys charge an arm and a leg for everything! A supercharger for my 840ci would cost me 2/3 what I paid for the damn car!

Man I can't wait for my Z!!!!
Old 11-27-2002, 10:06 AM
osofast

Default My last chance... b4 getting hitched

I think my Z faith is returning.... You guys have been great, giving me truthful and sincere comments. I can tell u all that the selection is still a tough one - I haven't really committed to getting the BMW, but I will come to a decision after thanksgiving.

Basically, my bunch of co-workers have contributing their 2 cents, long story short - get a real sports car and drive free like there's no tomorrow, cuz tomorrow lies regret when you're stuck with a minivan, a wife and 5 kids.

TRUTH comes in mysterious ways, sometimes from co-workers who want u to relive their dreams
Old 11-27-2002, 12:13 PM
Rahtok

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: My last chance... b4 getting hitched

Originally posted by osofast
I think my Z faith is returning.... You guys have been great, giving me truthful and sincere comments. I can tell u all that the selection is still a tough one - I haven't really committed to getting the BMW, but I will come to a decision after thanksgiving.

Basically, my bunch of co-workers have contributing their 2 cents, long story short - get a real sports car and drive free like there's no tomorrow, cuz tomorrow lies regret when you're stuck with a minivan, a wife and 5 kids.

TRUTH comes in mysterious ways, sometimes from co-workers who want u to relive their dreams
Hey! I resemble that remark. I've got a wife, two kids, and an SUV [Wife wasn't ready to 'commit' to a minivan]!
Old 11-27-2002, 07:07 PM
Marc's R/T

I'd take a good look at the G35 coupe. I've test drove the 330i and the G35 coupe and the 330i is a nice car but it looks dated next to a G35 coupe. Performance is pratically identical 0-60 but after 60mph, the G35 starts walking away(see Nov 2002 issue of Automobile for specifics). Also, I prefer the linear acceleration of the G as well. Most of all, the G is drop dead gorgeous:

Old 11-28-2002, 04:48 AM
FrankieZZ

Default Z the clear winner

I presently own both . Both great cars . But the Z has the fun factor edge by a mile on the BMW .Now if I could only get it broken in before we have any more snow here in NewHampshire !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FrankieZZ
Old 12-20-2002, 11:18 PM
osofast

Default going with Bimmer

I finally decided to go with the Bimmer - the offer was too good to refuse. My CS Z is actually comming in 10 days, after all that waiting.....damn!

I'm gonna take back my deposit sometime tomorrow, so if anyone from Maryland is interested in buying a CS Perf model head down to DarCars Rockville ASAP.
Old 12-21-2002, 06:58 AM
S38

Yes, BMW's are not cheap to maintain but there is no reason why you would need to go to a dealer after the warranty is up. I can buy rotors for my '91 M5 (one of the more expensive BMW's to drive) for $50 from various sources. They are about $125 at the dealer. When I did the brakes on my wife's Maxima the dealer wanted $125 each for the front rotors. I was kind of shocked and found them at an autoparts store for $70.

I would be that the 350z and G35 cars will NOT be as cheap to drive as a Maxima or Altima. They have higher output engines, stiffer suspension settings and more aggressive brakes. All of these things put additional stresses on parts over the long term (especially suspension bushings, steering parts, etc.). It will be interesting to see what happens long term.