Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choosing between BMW 330Ci and 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2002, 03:29 PM
osofast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosing between BMW 330Ci and 350Z

I need HELP!!! I am torn between choosing a 330Ci and a 350Z. I know I can't go wrong with either but there can only be one! I have a Z on order (comming in Jan), but a friend of mine is selling her '02 330Ci bimmer for bout the range I am willing to pay.

What should I do??? She needs to get rid of the bimmer by the end of the year. Can anyone tell me their experiences with these cars, since I haven't test drove the Z.

HELP! My Z faith is wanning.
Old 11-26-2002, 03:38 PM
Brad4rdHay

I have driven both.

Power: No contest. Z just pulls, and the torque is really what makes the difference. The 330 just gives you a hint of being pulled back, where as the Z can simply flatten you against the seat. Also, the Zs linear throttle is much better IMO than the Bimmers, intentially boosted one. Theres a pointright before the boost which feels to low, and then it jump up noticably...dont like it.

Ride: Z handles harder, and it can only improve with better tires. Z rolls less, but again, the 330 is also great in this catigory. The ride quality is similar most of the time, but larger bumps ar harder/noisier in the Z, where as the 330 has more ff a pebbly roughness to it.

Interior/Exterior: Exterior no competition. The 330s interior is of higher quality, but definately less sporty. The Zs is quite adiquate, and more pleasing to a driver. The steering wheel and pedal placement are better in the Z.

Sound: Both are pretty good, the 330 being quieter, but also more pleasent, the Zs being louder, but more gear whiny and intake boomy. (If the Z had less intake/more exhaust sound it would rock)

The 330 is my bros, and he was so jelous of my Z.

Last edited by Brad4rdHay; 11-26-2002 at 03:41 PM.
Old 11-26-2002, 04:19 PM
javawhz

I feel bad for you...it is a very tough decision. The 330ci is an INCREDIBLE machine, but I am sure the Z is too. I have no experience with the Z and I'm researching a purchase of the Z myself so I can't help you, although I can attest that the 330ci is heaven to drive.
Old 11-26-2002, 05:03 PM
imntcrzy

I too have driven a 02 330ci and 03 Z....

both are great.... BMW clutch engages weird but the tranny seems almost smoother than the Z.

BMW does roll alot more than the Z

basically it comes down to do you want comfort or performance.... the Z hands down performs better and the BMW is simply more comfortable.

On the flip side the Z is pretty comfortable for a sports car and the 330 has good performance for a coupe.

I my comments have only made the decision harder.... sorry
Old 11-26-2002, 05:13 PM
john0213

i think u gotta ask her for the reason why she needs to sell her bimmer~ because i've heard that the 3-series has a bad reputation on reliability(not sure maybe i'm BSing, lol~ )

and it also comes down to what u want the most, u want comfort or sporty? u want raw sport car feel or luxury feel?

and how's her driving habit? (maintence on the bimmer, not just washing the car, i'm talking about how she drives it~)

then choose whatever u want~
Old 11-26-2002, 05:36 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Take the Bimmer.
Old 11-26-2002, 07:35 PM
Boomer

Default choice

I opted for the Z over the 330iC or the M3 because I wanted a 2 seater sports car over another coupe/sedan. My last 2 seater was a 91 MR2 Turbo and I loved it. The Z is a whole new ball game, its LOTS faster than the 330 or my mr2, but is not as comfortable as the 330 nor can it seat 4 people. Thats not a problem for me and my wife. We have owned several 2 seat sports cars and we like them.

Its a matter of taste and/or need for space. The 330 is a good performer, the 350Z is better, but more elemental and not so cozy. The 330 is a willing performer and the Z is a demanding performer. You need to decide which you need or prefer.
Old 11-26-2002, 07:48 PM
MikeyDNY

Originally posted by Brad4rdHay
I have driven both.

Power: No contest. Z just pulls, and the torque is really what makes the difference. The 330 just gives you a hint of being pulled back, where as the Z can simply flatten you against the seat. Also, the Zs linear throttle is much better IMO than the Bimmers, intentially boosted one. Theres a pointright before the boost which feels to low, and then it jump up noticably...dont like it.

Ride: Z handles harder, and it can only improve with better tires. Z rolls less, but again, the 330 is also great in this catigory. The ride quality is similar most of the time, but larger bumps ar harder/noisier in the Z, where as the 330 has more ff a pebbly roughness to it.

Interior/Exterior: Exterior no competition. The 330s interior is of higher quality, but definately less sporty. The Zs is quite adiquate, and more pleasing to a driver. The steering wheel and pedal placement are better in the Z.

Sound: Both are pretty good, the 330 being quieter, but also more pleasent, the Zs being louder, but more gear whiny and intake boomy. (If the Z had less intake/more exhaust sound it would rock)

The 330 is my bros, and he was so jelous of my Z.

I disagree with many of the statements brad made above.

Power: I was only able to drive my Z w/ a few miles on it (but I have driven other nissans w/ VQ many times), but it never pinned me back and I doubt that it does post break-in. No one else has ever stated this. Also, strangely enough, the 330 has greater power off the line and a more useful powerband. The great thing w/ the inline 6 is that power delivery in the upper RPM range is just as smooth as down low. Finally, I like a more generous throttle tip-in--it is more natural, makes the car easy to drive fast, and also makes the car feel faster (which is part of the fun of a fast car).

Handling: Tough call, but it def. cannot be said that the Z is far ahead on the street. Also, the ride is silky smooth on the 330 w/ the sport pack and 17s while the Z is a little punishing over potholes w/ the 18s.

Exterior/Interior: Very subjective on the exterior. The Z is new and sporty (but not as timeless as the z32), the BMW is a couple years old, but elegant and classic. Depends what look you want. The BMW interior is better but overrated. It looks classy, but the materials are on the cheap side given price. The Z's interior is ok, but dont expect better than a 20-25k car interior (i.e. Acura RSX)

Sound: No contest. The BMW's cabin keeps out unwanted noise and the engine drone is perfect. Like all nissans, the Z needs more noise insulation and the engine noise/exhaust wasn't very inspiring.

I recently turned down my touring 6mt Z partially due to having test driven a 330i. The Z is a nice car in 27-32k range, but around 35k, I could not buy the Z. Without giving a drawn out review, the new Z is nice but it drives, feels, etc. very much like every other Nissan produced now (esp. the altima & maxima). Not that those are bad cars, but unlike the 300zx, the new Z was made to be a regular part of the Nissan lineup. Also, the price of the Z def. allows room for neg. on price.

Bottomline: Both cars are nice but for different reasons. I wouldn't get a Z in 35k range, but in the high 20's it's pretty damn nice. I'm waiting to see how prices go on the Z and the G35c in the next couple months. If I can get a good deal, I would probably buy one of those rather than lease a 330ci. My biggest concern w/ the BMW is RELIABILITY. Even w/ a 4yr. warranty and free maintainence, I'm not crazy about taking on a 39k car which might be in the shop several weeks a year.
Old 11-26-2002, 08:12 PM
imntcrzy

I disagree with many of the statements brad made above.
I can see how you may have these impressions from driving the Z for only a few miles.... but you really need to drive it for a while to get used to the drive by wire throttle, linear response and power, and just the overall feel for the Z. I have driven my Z for 1900 miles and I frequently drive/race my friends 330ci.

The 330ci is an excellent car. It is very quick, agile and brakes well. However the Z does flat out out perform the 330ci. If you launch correctly the Z will pull away. If you are rolling the Z will pull away. I have taken his 330 on the 710 to 10 to 101 interchange ( small freeway strectch with nice turns going from left to right to left again ) The 330 can take it at about 85mph no problem, but does feel unstable. The Z on the other hand glides through at no flat and confindently, at 90mph too. The 330 has awsome brakes and the Z is probably around the same or at least close.
Old 11-26-2002, 08:49 PM
///MFoRce

Default easy choice....

Hey...I'm a big bimmer enthusiast... I currently have a e36 m3.. which i love.. but have previously owned a 2002 330ci....the bimmer is defintely hands down an all around winner...looks...driveability...performance...room for 4...the whole package...the 350 z does have power...looks pretty good in my opinion but some are skeptics...but only seats two....I drove my friends 350z because I was actually in the market for one...but it simply wasnt practical enough for me.. you cant rate these two cars based on power figures...even though the 330 has 225 hp...217 tq i believe...I think it puts the power down very effectively and is pretty quick...long as u get the 5 spd of course...as for the Z...theres def. power down low.. but in my opinion loses out at higher speeds...is it just me? or am I wrong.. my M has absolutely no problem keeping up with Z's.. which goes to show...only lookin at numbers are not very reliable...if you want practicality... get the bimmer.. if u want a car that you can mod much cheaper than the bimmer ..get the Z...because moddin the bimmer will put a hole in your pocket
Old 11-26-2002, 08:59 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what #'s are you talking about??

Doesn't the M3 have 333 HP and the Z 287?? it should beat it

btw, I say

1. true 2 seat sports car---go with Z
2. Coupe--go with G35 sc
3. combo of both=m3 (the perfect car for those that want 4 seats and can afford it)

if I bought a 330 I would have M3 envy everytime I saw one and it would make me miserable with the "what if" thoughts
Old 11-26-2002, 09:09 PM
Zzyzx

Originally posted by rodH
what #'s are you talking about??

Doesn't the M3 have 333 HP and the Z 287?? it should beat it

You are thinking of the current generation E46 M3 which has 333 HP. MFoRCe has a E36 M3 (Previous Generation), which has 240 HP for the US Spec car. The Euro spec E36 had 286 HP and 321 HP depending on year.
Old 11-26-2002, 09:13 PM
whatever
Veteran

My bro also have a 330ci. Driven both.
I think like many other said here, it comes down to what type of driving you plan on doing with the car. If you're looking for something as a daily commuter, I would go with the 330.... It's just more comfortable.
Transmission-wise, I would give it to the 330 even though it does have a 1 to 2 gear clunk, but it was easier for me to feel the clutch point. Also, the car does goes fairly effortless to the regulated top speed.
Even though my bro already did most of the suspension mod, the ride is still a little bit easier on the back than the 350Z.
With that said, why I didn't get a 330?
well, I wanted a pure sport car not a grand tourer. If you're considering the 330ci, you should also consider the G35C. That's probably a better comparison. As for me, the 2 seat was already 1 seat too many (ok, ok, need that seat for the hunnies)
anyways, I'm still breaking in the car so I cannot vouch for the top speed or the acceleration. I can say that the handling on the Z will definately beat the 330 hands down.
As far as reliability, I had a E36 325i before. The car overall is great just that little things here and there starts to go and it's hella expensive to fix after the car is no longer under warranty. You either end up really good at taking apart your own car or you pay it with your paycheck...
Anyways, make a list of what's important to you in a car. Both are great cars, just for different purpose.
the 350Z fits my purpose
Old 11-26-2002, 09:15 PM
qirex

z all the way!!!

i thought that the z wasnt THAT much faster than my 97 lude - this was at 400 miles.

at 600 the exhaust note sweetened and the car got noticeably faster.

now at 800 the car seems faster by the day. It accelertes in 2nd the same as my lude on vtec in 1st.

the power is deceptive b/c its very linear...lay of the gas and nail it and you'll see.

ah yes the handles. Yes the ride can be rough - but the no roll, flat cornering stance combined wuth vdc make a potent combo.

the looks....hmmmm EVERYBODY HAS A 330/325. The Z wins hands down....mine is silverstone and it looks really sharp dont you think??

Old 11-26-2002, 09:21 PM
Rahtok

I recently drove an `03 330 and rep15's `03 Z. I'm left unimpressed with the 330. It's looks are way conservative, for me the Z's cabin is larger [my head was against the roof in the 330, where the Z gives me an inch or so] and there is just not the power there that the Z has. The BMW is infinitely more practical as far as carrying people and things, but if you're thinking of a Z in the first place, this is likely nowhere near of paramount importance.

The BMW interior materials far outshine the Z, but the Z ergonomics are much more 'driver oriented' than the German.

If they're the same price, do you want a sports car, or do you want a fast 'semi-sleeper' 4 door?
Old 11-26-2002, 09:54 PM
D'oh

My freind has a 330iC and I've got a Z. As you state, both are excellent. However, MikeyDNY is wrong about the Z's performance. It is faster in every way than the 330iC, but not much faster. For day to day driving, the 330iC will feel very similar to the Z, but the Z is far better for the race track or AutoX.

You do give up a bit with the Z though. The BMW has a much smoother ride, and handles close to the Z. The BMW is quieter, while there is significant rode noise from the Z. The BMW can seat 4 while the Z can only hold 2. The BMW has nicer feeling interior, but I think the Z's is organized much better.

All in all, the Z is a definite sports car while the BMW is more like a GT. As others have mentioned, if you are considering the 330iC, you may want to check out the G35 instead of the Z. It is much more similar to the BMW. Also, Road and Track (I think) did a comparo of the 330iC to the G35C. You should check it out because what they said about the G35C will probably also apply to the Z, although maybe even more so.

-D'oh!
Old 11-26-2002, 10:45 PM
vin1024

Get the BMW. The 330ci with some options tags out at 40K+ so if your friend is giving you a good deal, and you know the car is accident free, go for it. I love nissans, but BMW is a whole different class of vehicle (as evidenced by the price).
Old 11-27-2002, 12:58 AM
mark754

What would be preferable between a used M3 and a new Z, assuming the prices were comparable?
Old 11-27-2002, 02:01 AM
z461

The Z man.. I ahd a 330CI on order, the thing handles horribly, and has no character to it. It was SLOW. I'm sorry, it's overrated, it's not fun to drive. I'd get an IS300 stick over it.. I ordered a silver/grey fully loaded and backed out after I drove it. Ended up with my Z. If you DO get a 330CI, definately mod it, it needs it.

Of course this is my opinion, otherwise, they're very different cars... The 330CI is more luxurious and much less visceral than the Z, a more direct comparison would be the Z4 vs. the 350Z or the M3 vs. the 350Z. The 330CI is just a luxury car with a bit of sportiness to it. If you drove both back to back you'd notice this. The Z has near no body roll, the 330CI has lots.. The 330CI's steering is loose and not very precise, the 350Z is exactly the opposite. However, the 330CI has those two seats and has a nicer interior, better service, more "class", better resale value... Like I said, I made the same EXACT choice, and ended up with the Z, and i'm damn happy about it... Of course also ended up w/ a 2002 SMG M3 Cab too

Last edited by z461; 11-27-2002 at 02:05 AM.
Old 11-27-2002, 06:43 AM
VR3

I think you should go for the one that falls in the middle of the two, G35 coupe 280hp with luxury

Quick Reply: Choosing between BMW 330Ci and 350Z