Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

CBS News Story - 350Z Class Action Lawsuit

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 07:26 PM
KManZ
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the TSB done on my 03... the feathering went away, and actually was pretty subtle till the end of the stock tire life (24K).. but, the key word is subtle.. it was still there, and I am just waiting for it to creep back on my new tires.

I would be happy if Nissan said "Ok, your car is a lemon. To compensate, you have been entitled to give us back your car, and take ownership of a new 06 Z (when they come out), same trim level, as your current Z"... That seems fair, no?
Old 05-11-2005, 07:39 PM
Timmy_boy188

im so pissed, i just bought my 03 and i already have an appointment with a nissan dealership to get the tires replaced and re-alligned, forfunetly under warranty but now im wanting to sell it before it gets bad.....
Old 05-11-2005, 08:26 PM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its about time. thanx for the thread. more bad publicity may foster some movement by nissan, but their statement at the end was total bs. "casebycase basis" is code for fzuk u.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:40 PM
VeeTec

They better own up, or they will lose that law suit.

My 2004 started feathering at 8K, and I got it fixed at 14K or so, along with new front tires, under warranty.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:54 PM
xStriderx

My car is out of its warranty. 03' with 34,000 miles bought it a month ago(wish i would have known about this feathering problem before), noticed it was making the noises and took it back to Nissan and they told me they couldn't do anything for me since i was out of my warranty. Is that completely true???
Old 05-12-2005, 06:48 AM
Qbrozen

Originally Posted by xStriderx
My car is out of its warranty. 03' with 34,000 miles bought it a month ago(wish i would have known about this feathering problem before), noticed it was making the noises and took it back to Nissan and they told me they couldn't do anything for me since i was out of my warranty. Is that completely true???
no, its not out of warranty at all. 36K miles for bumper-to-bumper and 60K for powertrain .... unless yours was originally purchased over 3 years ago.

HOWEVER, I think it is out of warranty for the tire issues. I think they were covering till 20K or something like that??? its posted many times before if you search.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:14 AM
Zexy

You know what? I thought the guy that took part of this was a tool, but i thought..
Less 350z on the road. I guess it's a advantage.

I have NO PROBLEMS with my Z as of yet.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:16 AM
primo1

[QUOTE=DaChoZn1]All this is embarassing. You guys have no idea how many haters will love telling me about our defective Z's. I work with a bunch of red-neck narrow minded individuals that hate anything japanese.

I feel your pain !
The price you must pay to live hear.
Remember their is as many hear that are not red-necks.
That's what thay really hate.......
Old 05-12-2005, 07:20 AM
Camel

Originally Posted by DaChoZn1
In the long run, this is going to kill them and the Z's image if not corrected.
I disagree. Nissan is going strong and not everyone has feathering, this isn't going to kill them by a long shot. Z sales could potentially suffer, however the Z isn't exactly where Nissan is making most of it's money. And most Z buyers will likely be none the wiser when they sign the papers.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:10 AM
BENSIN

Originally Posted by ZBoater
Hey hey hey....

Actually, I stand corrected...
Old 05-12-2005, 12:08 PM
dlmkr1

When you pass the 24 month inservice limit on the TSB, Nissan will tell you to take a hike. It's your problem now. Nissan says that its alignment and if they did it once under the TSB that is all you get. Great car to drive...lousy customer service. There will be no Murano for my wife that's for sure. Money talks and until Nissan thinks the numbers are in right they won't do much more...
Old 05-12-2005, 12:17 PM
craniumdesigns

well, like edward norton says in fight club, if the cost of a recall is more than the amount of money they'll have to spend to settle out of court, they don't do a recall.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:18 PM
BA Cutler

District Rep refused to honor TSB due to my installation of a decent set of shocks (Konis)... I didn't press the issue... if the car had a set of tires I would've actually missed (RE040 didn't satisfy), it might have been a bigger deal.

I had the alignment set at a competent shop, replaced the tires (& wheels) with a more inspiring tire... and I couldn't be happier. Ownership started out really cool in May '03, started disturbing me once the tire feathering and the po-go sticks (stock shocks) worked their magic... since the shocks, alignment and tires, I couldn't be happier. No more feathering problems, ride quality is spot on. A person shouldn't have to do what I did, but I'm glad I did. The 350Z is a great car, but could be better out of the box. As long as we airing the Z's shortcomings... why aren't there any means of adjusting the front chamber on this car?

BC
Old 05-12-2005, 05:21 PM
King Tut

How come that video didn't have a good sound clip of the car actually making the "feathering" noise. I have yet to actually hear feathering in any video.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:30 PM
geez zee

Originally Posted by BA Cutler
I had the alignment set at a competent shop, replaced the tires (& wheels) with a more inspiring tire... and I couldn't be happier.
As the owner of a 2004 which is roaring like a banshee and starting to feather pretty good (good ?) at only 9,930 miles, I am encouraged that maybe a good alignment will provide a livable fix. The question that I have is: What are the alignment specs that make everything right? I have read a bunch of stuff, but can't seem to find what the specs need to be.

Originally Posted by BA Cutler
As long as we airing the Z's shortcomings... why aren't there any means of adjusting the front chamber on this car?BC
Isn't this fixable with aftermarket parts?

My new NISMO wheels & Nitto 555's have made their way (via UPS) from Florida to New Orleans (on their way to Fort Worth, Texas)... I really do need to get something moving on this before my new stuff gets here.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:53 PM
BA Cutler

Yes, the front chamber can be solved by replacing control arms with aftermarket adjustables... but I have reasons why I can't do that.

I definitely recommend your first stop on your new wheels/tires be at a competent alignment capable shop. I didn't go in with any settings, I just asked them to set the alignment to maximize tire life.

Oh, and if you have the feathering problem on the RE040 (can't comment on other tires), at 25 +/- 2 MPH... it sounds like a jet is overhead... it's very irritating.

BC
Old 05-13-2005, 04:48 AM
Russ@Z1

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

subscribing to thread.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:00 PM
GIRLSPEED72

When i first bought my '04 and as i drove it off the parking lot i noticed something about the feathering..i thought it was me...so next day i go to dealership..im like woaa my car has 70miles on it..i feel like i need an ailgment..Me being a girl they looked at me like i was full of sh*t...and then my car sounds like my 4x4 truck its so loud in the inside my tires where wearing out in the front at 7,000 miles..im like ok..this is total B.S. why did i by 45,000 car and i already need new tires. I am not happy at all..I love my car but now im missing my 4x4truck bad! I've taken my car in the shop 5times...at 10,000 miles they change my mass air sensor..thennnnnn my engine light came on and i had 3 fuel injectors repalce and all this major engine crap! ok they almost got me a new engine! they said 5 head where working and not all 6 i freaked out cry like a little b*tch... my car! my GMC never gave my problems..i guess i got the lemon of all 350z!
Old 05-13-2005, 02:32 PM
geez zee

Originally Posted by GIRLSPEED72
[M]y car! my GMC never gave my problems..i guess i got the lemon of all 350z!
Well, here's another lemon story:

I really enjoy amateur archeology. So, I nearly always have a vehicle that is pretty much dedicated to those kinds of 'adventures'... mostly in the high desert canyonlands of SE Utah. Soooo, Early in 1993, I bought a 4X4 GMC Suburban; 350 engine. It sat in my garage most of the time... when it wasn't out on an 'adventure.'

Then in 1996, while my daughter and I were in the middle of the Navajo Rez (close to Chinle, AZ). we were doing a nearly-zero-miles-per-hour U turn when all of a sudden, clatter, clatter, clank, clank... white smoke everywhere... dead engine.

To make a genuinely long story a lot shorter, my thoroughly babied, Mobil 1-since-new GMC Suburban's engine self destructed at 14,300 miles. Yep, fourteen thousand three hundred!

And General Motors didn't give a flyin' flip... three years old, out-of-warranty and all that crud. No matter how high up I went, the same story from GM. So, I was left to pay the freight on replacing an engine in a "nearly-new" flawless Suburbal with less than fifteen thousand miles on it.

Five thousand bucks later, the thieves at the Chevy dealership in Winslow, AZ had the truck running again. A legal fight would have cost more than that... I've learned to pick my battles.

As soon as I got it home, I traded it in on a '96 Toyota Land Cruiser. The 'Cruiser now has 'bout 150,000 miles on it and it still drives like it's made our of one piece of metal (if it just had another hundred horsepower!).

Needless to say, I don't want my GM vehicle back!
Old 05-13-2005, 02:57 PM
SeanG

I have an 04'. Tire roar started at 4,000 miles. Dealer did the tire swap. Tire roar and feathering was back by 6,000 miles. Dealer replaced tires at 8,000 miles. They installed the new potenzas with the new improved tread pattern, that Nissan claims will eliminate the issue. So far no tire roar at all. It looks as if it still has a slight feathering to the insides, but I cant tell for sure. I can probably live with a slight feathering if the roar is gone, which the new tread seems to be doing a good job at. I don't believe this is going to be the end of my issues with this. I hope I'm wrong.

Quick Reply: CBS News Story - 350Z Class Action Lawsuit