Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

MPG: The new Corvette vs 350z Mad as Hell

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 10:28 PM
shiva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DGA5
If GM is good at anything it’s refining their motors over decades of production.
GM's new corporate V6 has variable valve timing and cam phasing. Those are both very difficult to pull off in an OHV configuration!

I don't understand why Z owners despise (envy?) the Vette so much. The Z doesn't match up to the Vette, but the recipe is the same - they're both sports GT cars with big front-mounted engines, gobs of torque, muscular but heavy chassis, average build quality, and great bang for the buck.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:35 PM
DGA5

Corvette starts at about 45k where the Z is at about 27K. Think of the Z as the VW Beetle for the sport car market.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:46 PM
SB Track

Originally Posted by MulhollandDrive
Typical response from a superficial person from SoCal who needs a car to get respect.

Gee. Is that generalization hurtful? We are members of some group with false stereotypes. Repeating these stereotypes is hurtful. I think it is great that you really like the 911. Have you been lucky enough to be able to drive one? If so, what did you like best about it?
No, I'm only 18, I'll get my shot soon enough. I actually had the pleasure of being in one though. Someone had a brand new black / black 997 Carrera S at a wedding I went in early April. I was basically openly drooling when I parked my Z nearby. The car is absolutely marvelous. From the carefully designed, simple but elegant interior (especially the track stopwatch in the center of the dash). Of course, the car is beyond fast. One peculiar thing was, if I'm not mistaken, the key was on the opposite side (not on the right side of the steering wheel). The 5 clock dash with tach center, and the really nice stiching on the dash also stands out. I'd say the huge center column in the back and the uselessness of each backseat was cool too, since I only like two seaters. The huge 295 wide tires held us well enough down our short cruise on PCH (Pacific Coast Highway).

So yes, I hold that the Corvette does not even compare to the Carrera. That's like saying an Evo is better than an M3 because it performs better.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:37 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SB Track
Typical response from someone from Texas. Come to SoCal and see which car gets you more respect.
I'm from socal as well, originally Beverly Hills, now living in West LA. Only losers would judge you based on the car you drive, and especially when you're comparing a Vette to a Carerra, both are great cars. Why diss someone's personal preference of one over the other? A lot of my friends drive Civics, Accords, or random beaters, but they get plenty of respect from my friends who have the Benz's and BMW's. If you can't get respect without a car, that's totally fuct. I took the bus for a year when I was undergrad @ LA because I couldn't get a parking space at school, haha.

Typical response from a superficial person from SoCal who needs a car to get respect.

Gee. Is that generalization hurtful? We are members of some group with false stereotypes. Repeating these stereotypes is hurtful. I think it is great that you really like the 911. Have you been lucky enough to be able to drive one? If so, what did you like best about it?
Well, just for bragging rights, my old man used to own a '99 911, and he let me drive it from time to time. Amazing car... solid in every way, great low-end torque and the sound is unbelievable. The clutch is sooooo tight, as is the handling. They did a great job of really transmitting road feel to the driver, and the car is just so responsive in every way. Also, it has a really stylish interior, with a spacious cabin which is great for big guys (I couldn't even fit my knees in the S2000, and I'm only 6', LOL).

Consider the following my "intro post", I didn't want to start a new thread just to say "LOL!!!!!!!!one I'm new 2 teh forums, hi guyzz!!"

As for me, I'm going to pick out my Z in a week or two. Thinking about Black Performance trim...(I probably won't get Touring edition, I hate leather in LA summers, OMFG.) I won't be modding it for quite some time though, as I really want to get to know the car well first. As my member name suggests, I currently own a 2000 Maxima. I was thinking about modding it at this point, as I have been lurking around the maxima.org forums for quite some time. But now that I have money, I decided to get the car I really wanted.

I have been lurking around the my350z forums for a couple days, trying to get a sense of what I need to know about the Z. I really like your online community and I hope I'm welcome even though I don't technically have my Z yet. Anyway, looking forward to being a "legit" member, cya guys.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:34 AM
Tenac1ousZ

Originally Posted by Z2000Maximaguy
I'm from socal as well, originally Beverly Hills, now living in West LA. Only losers would judge you based on the car you drive, and especially when you're comparing a Vette to a Carerra, both are great cars. Why diss someone's personal preference of one over the other? A lot of my friends drive Civics, Accords, or random beaters, but they get plenty of respect from my friends who have the Benz's and BMW's. If you can't get respect without a car, that's totally fuct. I took the bus for a year when I was undergrad @ LA because I couldn't get a parking space at school, haha.

Well, just for bragging rights, my old man used to own a '99 911, and he let me drive it from time to time. Amazing car... solid in every way, great low-end torque and the sound is unbelievable. The clutch is sooooo tight, as is the handling. They did a great job of really transmitting road feel to the driver, and the car is just so responsive in every way. Also, it has a really stylish interior, with a spacious cabin which is great for big guys (I couldn't even fit my knees in the S2000, and I'm only 6', LOL).

Consider the following my "intro post", I didn't want to start a new thread just to say "LOL!!!!!!!!one I'm new 2 teh forums, hi guyzz!!"

As for me, I'm going to pick out my Z in a week or two. Thinking about Black Performance trim...(I probably won't get Touring edition, I hate leather in LA summers, OMFG.) I won't be modding it for quite some time though, as I really want to get to know the car well first. As my member name suggests, I currently own a 2000 Maxima. I was thinking about modding it at this point, as I have been lurking around the maxima.org forums for quite some time. But now that I have money, I decided to get the car I really wanted.

I have been lurking around the my350z forums for a couple days, trying to get a sense of what I need to know about the Z. I really like your online community and I hope I'm welcome even though I don't technically have my Z yet. Anyway, looking forward to being a "legit" member, cya guys.

Typical response from a "Maxima" driver. Sorry, you are not welcome here, as only those pimpin' the Z are allowed to speak, for shizzle my nizzle?

Haha....only joking. The Z will be a fun car, though practicality will suffer. If you are used to having 5-6 girls in your car, then you'll have to settle for 4 now (two on the passenger side, one on your lap, and one in the hatch; if you take out the spare, then 2...).

Oops, jacking the thread; back to the topic: Z's are greater than Ferraris, Porsches, Lambos, Corollas, Pintos, as well as other Z's. Word
Old 05-17-2005, 07:04 AM
sselway

I would rather own a bmw before I own a vette and I hate bimmers.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:37 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Originally Posted by Tenac1ousZ
Typical response from a "Maxima" driver. Sorry, you are not welcome here, as only those pimpin' the Z are allowed to speak, for shizzle my nizzle?
Hah, you almost had me going for a second...

Well, so that I don't de-rail the thread, I'll ask:

How does the NSX (latest model) stack up against the Z, whoever has driven it? I used to really, really want the NSX.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:41 AM
SB Track

Originally Posted by Z2000Maximaguy

Great post, seriously. I never judge someone by the car they drive. I was trying to make a point that in no way, shape, or form is the Corvette comparable to the Porsche Carrera. I did not start that comparo either. But living in SoCal, you must know what I'm talking about in terms of "respect" when getting out of a car. Trust me, if I wanted more respect... I wouldn't have chosen the Track Z over the BMW 330ci. My parents would NOT pay for an M3, so I said fine, I will never get a regular 3-series.

Also, I'm going to UCLA next year too. And yes, I'm not taking my car either. Off topic, but when I was there for Honors Day, I saw this sickk 911 Turbo, and it was a student there. Talk about rich.

Oh, I forgot one thing. Why not opt for the Track model over the Performance? The new 2005 ones have more HP, also come with nice Brembo brakes and wheels that are nice (or easier to sell when you get aftermarktet). Welcome to the forums.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:25 AM
Camel

My parents would NOT pay for an M3, so I said fine, I will never get a regular 3-series.
Oh, the trials and tribulations. Just messing with you, that statement struck me funny.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:39 AM
nitro

People buy a particular car for different reasons.I did not buy a Z06 because I was looking for respect.I bought it because it is a fast street car that can be tracked right out of the box.I done a head/cam package,put in an audio system,and I got one fast ***** with some killer tunes.I agree it does not have the interior of a Porsche or a Ferrari,but that was not a priority for me.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:24 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Oh, I forgot one thing. Why not opt for the Track model over the Performance? The new 2005 ones have more HP, also come with nice Brembo brakes and wheels that are nice (or easier to sell when you get aftermarktet). Welcome to the forums.
I thought that the 300hp editions such as 35th anniversary and track actually get slower 0-60 times due to less torque. Doesn't make it sound very attractive, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I'd be interested in the Brembos, but then again, big brake kits are always an option as well if I get the performance pkg. I also like the OEM rims on the performance edition.

I'm still open to options, though. I may even consider the touring, we'll see.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:15 PM
MulhollandDrive

No, I'm only 18, I'll get my shot soon enough. I actually had the pleasure of being in one though. Someone had a brand new black / black 997 Carrera S at a wedding I went in early April. I was basically openly drooling when I parked my Z nearby.
SB Track. Naw. Get an SL500 or a BMW. It is a _documented_ fact that BMW owners have more frequent sex then Porsche owners . I am not kidding. People study this stuff.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:25 PM
MulhollandDrive

Also, I'm going to UCLA next year too.
Congratulations!!! I am graduate of the Chemistry program there many many ages ago. I also wrote a weekly column for the campus newspaper.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:05 PM
shiva

I was trying to make a point that in no way, shape, or form is the Corvette comparable to the Porsche Carrera.
...and your justification involved a description of the interior stitching.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:55 PM
SB Track

Originally Posted by shivak
...and your justification involved a description of the interior stitching.
No, someone asked me if I had been in one. And the really nice interior is what I noticed most about the Carrera.

The 3.8L engine putting out like 340hp or something would be the most beautiful part of the Carrera.

SB Track. Naw. Get an SL500 or a BMW. It is a _documented_ fact that BMW owners have more frequent sex then Porsche owners . I am not kidding. People study this stuff.
Hehe. Quality over quantity. I'd rather have much better sex and drive a Porsche. Seriously though, the SL500 does not appeal to me. My dad really likes it, but I don't like how its super heavy and every rich lady has one. Also only comes in AT. The SL 55 on the other hand is one nice automobile. Dad is getting an M3 soon, I'm a really big BMW fan. My uncle just got a 645ci convertible, that thing is gorgeous.

Congratulations!!! I am graduate of the Chemistry program there many many ages ago. I also wrote a weekly column for the campus newspaper.
Thanks! I'm going into Biochemistry, I'm really looking forward to it.

Originally Posted by Camel
Oh, the trials and tribulations. Just messing with you, that statement struck me funny.
That statement sounded really spoiled in hindsight. What I meant to say was... I don't want a 330ci because every blonde rich girl has one. They aren't very fast (like 235hp on the ZHP package), and all they have going is the BMW logo.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:58 PM
shiva

No, someone asked me if I had been in one.
I wonder what this meant, then-

Who's laughing when the other guy gets out of the new 997 Carrera S and you get out of your 6.0L piece of sh*t American car? I don't think that either of the new C6's can compete with Porsche or any real supercar. Don't even bring up the money factor.
Sigh. It's not worth having a retread Porsche vs. Corvette debate with you. In the final analysis, Corvettes win on absolute performance (road courses included) and Porsches win on the ineffable qualities of the driving experience. Apparently you prefer the latter even though you have never driven one.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:06 PM
MulhollandDrive

Hehe. Quality over quantity. I'd rather have much better sex and drive a Porsche.
No. No. I am telling you that BMW drivers get l**d more _often_ then Porsche drivers. This is important stuff that I am trying to teach you
Old 05-17-2005, 05:39 PM
Tenac1ousZ

No. No. I am telling you that BMW drivers get l**d more _often_ then Porsche drivers. This is important stuff that I am trying to teach you

So you're saying that Bimmer drivers get more often? I must wonder what porsche drivers get then.....also, how do Z ownders stack up in the catagory? I know NSX drivers aren't getting , because I remember seeing "NoSeX" displayed on their car....lol It's a shame; they have the duties, but no booties to please.

Oh yeah, back to topic.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:40 PM
Cashburn

Originally Posted by zownz
I dont know if this has to do anything with this topic, but look at the 400hp 6.7L motor and the 3.5 300 hp from nissan. Hmm almost twice the engine size and only 100hp more. Its the hp per square inch that tells you about the car technology ...
This is the embarassing mindset that makes me not want anything to do with the "import" crowd. If this is the way you think then you really don't know better
Old 05-17-2005, 08:41 PM
MulhollandDrive

Originally Posted by Tenac1ousZ
So you're saying that Bimmer drivers get more often? I must wonder what porsche drivers get then.....also, how do Z ownders stack up in the catagory?
Well it was a German survey, so I am not sure if there were very many Z drivers in the study.

**** snip *****

Now I see, however, that there's another factor to consider in buying a car, beyond just money and the environment.

According to a German magazine, people who opt for BMWs have more sex than drivers of other vehicles.

"Men's Car," in its debut edition, surveyed 2,253 motorists between the ages of 20 and 50 and found that male BMW drivers claim they have sex on average 2.2 times each week. Porsche drivers, on the other hand, reported having sex 1.4 times per week.

Imagine where minivan drivers fall in that list.

Even women BMW drivers report more frequent sex than other car drivers - more than male Porsche drivers, too.

Volkswagen drivers, by the way, report having more sex than Porsche drivers - not much more, but when it comes to sex, a little more is good.

It doesn't seem fair. Here I'm dumping the SUV for a minivan, striking a blow for the environment and saving enough money to maybe take the three girls to a movie now and then, and BMW drivers are out making whoopee.

The cars themselves aren't responsible for these differences in sexual frequency, of course. There's a reason we choose seven-passenger vehicles and not small European sports cars: Us sex-deprived minivan drivers are usually exhausted.

And it's not from having sex.

We're taking the children to school, picking them up, hauling them to activities after school and on weekends.

**** end snip ****

Quick Reply: MPG: The new Corvette vs 350z Mad as Hell