Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Question about my car which fell off a jack stand

Old 05-17-2005, 11:46 PM
maximapowr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about my car which fell off a jack stand

Well,

I was jacking up my driver's side front tire so that I could take it off and check for a nail puncture. After I had taken off the wheel, I noticed that the jack was a little crooked. I decided to put a jack stand underneath it at this point but the car was still a little too low, so like a moron I decided to jack it up a bit more and thats when the jack gave way. It folded underneath the car and the front rotor fell to my carpeted garage floor. I got it back up in the air but could not see any damage. The driver's side front of the car must have fallen about a foot and a half, but the jack and carpet seemed to cushion the fall. Do you guys think that it could have caused any frame damage or control arm damage?

Thanks in adavance
Old 05-18-2005, 02:51 AM
westpak
SFZCC

You should be fine, at that height the biggest issue would be cosmetic like the bumper or fender getting damaged from hitting the ground, just scary as hell, careful next time.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:54 AM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lucky u werent underneath the car...
Old 05-18-2005, 04:32 AM
rxtrom

Originally Posted by nitrouz
lucky u werent underneath the car...

Jeeeze no-kidding! I always have nightmares about stuff like that. I can barely concentrate underneath my car b/c I am afraid of it falling on me.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:52 AM
Chicken

rxtrom, I live in CA now, but when I lived in CT (Hartford area), a neighbor was a seasoned mechanic (years and years). he was working on his car at his house and the car fell on him and he was rushed to the hospital. It didn't kill him, but I'm sure it wasn't a pleasant experience. After that, I am very uneasy about jacking up cars and getting any where near being under them.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:52 AM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt it damaged anything. Just check the rotor for cracks and such. Please don't tell me you were using the stock jack to do maintenence in your garage? That jack is only meant for emergencies and it sucks in comparison to a true floor jack which every garage should have. I'm not talking about a $20 MVP jack from Wal Mart either.

Last edited by King Tut; 05-18-2005 at 05:02 AM.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:33 AM
2004z
Sleeps in 350Z

Originally Posted by King Tut
I doubt it damaged anything. Just check the rotor for cracks and such. Please don't tell me you were using the stock jack to do maintenence in your garage? That jack is only meant for emergencies and it sucks in comparison to a true floor jack which every garage should have. I'm not talking about a $20 MVP jack from Wal Mart either.
+1 I've had a stock jack fail on me as well. Luckily I wasn't under the car.. and luckily it was a piece of crap car that fell to the ground.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:43 AM
LSUturbotiger

Originally Posted by Chicken
rxtrom, I live in CA now, but when I lived in CT (Hartford area), a neighbor was a seasoned mechanic (years and years). he was working on his car at his house and the car fell on him and he was rushed to the hospital. It didn't kill him, but I'm sure it wasn't a pleasant experience. After that, I am very uneasy about jacking up cars and getting any where near being under them.
wow, thats scary. did he have the car on jackstands when it fell?

I hate working underneath cars on jack stands, but I have to on my 300ZX because finding a competent Z32 mechanic is like looking for a leprechaun except you better have the pot of gold in cash or check form, and you give it to him. I always use jackstands but its still scary.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:51 AM
bixby

I don't think you caused any serious damage, if any. Glad you're okay. Do yourself a favor & invest in a nice floor jack & stands. Most all OEM jacks just suck & are barely usable in a roadside emergency (flat).
Old 05-18-2005, 09:17 AM
GWAPITO69

Invest on nice jack stands and floor jacks. i always work underneath our cars and if im not working on suspension i always put the car on the ramp but if i have to work on wheels, brake, or suspension i always have jackstands underneath the car and floor jacks just incase the jackstand fails. it's better to have a secondary support when working on your car.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:32 AM
jazz z1

Default No Sweat ... when under the Z

Originally Posted by rxtrom
Jeeeze no-kidding! I always have nightmares about stuff like that. I can barely concentrate underneath my car b/c I am afraid of it falling on me.
. I chained sawed a railroad tie to a desired length. And slide it under the car with me while it's up on jack stands. In the event of a mishap. The railroad tie is stout enough to hold the Z up. And give you wiggle room to bail out.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:44 AM
MulhollandDrive

Originally Posted by jazz z1
. I chained sawed a railroad tie to a desired length. And slide it under the car with me while it's up on jack stands. In the event of a mishap. The railroad tie is stout enough to hold the Z up. And give you wiggle room to bail out.
Of course you wisely choose wood not concrete blocks. Concrete blocks can suddenly give way and crush.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:45 AM
lunartick13

Yeah, the OEM jack that comes with the car sucks, I say invest on a low profile floor jack from Sears, that `s what I did, I feel I `am worth it and so is my ZZZ..
Old 05-18-2005, 10:33 AM
rxtrom

Originally Posted by jazz z1

Good Idea!! I'll have to grab something like that.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:09 PM
jazz z1

Originally Posted by MulhollandDrive
Of course you wisely choose wood not concrete blocks. Concrete blocks can suddenly give way and crush.
MulhollandDrive...Perhaps you didn't understand my previous post ... when I wrote that I used a chainsaw to cut the railroad tie. THAT WOULD BE WOOD.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:13 PM
mario60185
Chicago Realtor

whats the safest way then to be under the z? it always scares the crap out of me.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:27 PM
Greenvette95

Originally Posted by mario60185
whats the safest way then to be under the z? it always scares the crap out of me.
Build yourself a nice set of ramps to drive
up onto.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:37 PM
mario60185
Chicago Realtor

does that work real good? what kinda ramps? can you give some general info on what you used and how you built them?
Old 05-18-2005, 03:39 PM
tacomaboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Greenvette95
Build yourself a nice set of ramps to drive
up onto.

How would you change the brakes or rotate the tires then??
Old 05-18-2005, 03:49 PM
GWAPITO69

just use jack stands and support it with two sets of floor jacks just incase the jack stands gave way.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question about my car which fell off a jack stand