2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about my car which fell off a jack stand

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 06:29 PM
apexi97tsi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jack stands are the safest way to me. Then wedge an object such as a brick or the stock jack underneath the adjacent tire/tires.

I tried rhino ramps this morning for my first oil change, and I nearly crapped on myself when I thought I overshot the top of the ramp, ( I know another is required to make it easier to guide ) but the ramps just moved foward and the car rolled back. All in all, I trust jack stands.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:06 PM
Zshazz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think we can all agree that anything holding the car above you shouldn't be something cheap. High quality high priced things with guarantees are the best bet. Then have a secondary thing incase it fails. Regularly inspecting the equipment to make sure none of the parts look like they are going to fail is also a good idea. Things like this that you trust your life with shouldn't be taken lightly.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:47 PM
King Tut

Originally Posted by mario60185
whats the safest way then to be under the z? it always scares the crap out of me.
Jack the car up on one of the two factory recommended jacking points. That includes a small spot in the center of the car about even with the 2 front tires and the differential case in the back of the car. Then place a jackstand at each of the 4 jackstand locations which are on the pinch welds where the pinch weld is doubled over about a foot towards the center from each wheel. There is a diagram of the points in the factory service manual that floats around on the Interweb. I suggest you find it if you don't have a copy.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:49 PM
ohw

After jacking up the car, always always use 2 jack standes. Before I get under the car, I always shake it 1st. If it falls, it better happen before I get under it.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:15 AM
Chicken

Originally Posted by LSUturbotiger
wow, thats scary. did he have the car on jackstands when it fell?
I can't recall. It happened when I was ~8-11 years old (and I'm almost 35 now). Needless to say, whatever he had under the car didn't quite work. Makes you want to construct a pit, or buy one of those shop-type whole car lifts.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:43 AM
Z33Concept

E'z E'z
Old 05-19-2005, 05:49 AM
PoWeRtRiP

Originally Posted by King Tut
Jack the car up on one of the two factory recommended jacking points. That includes a small spot in the center of the car about even with the 2 front tires and the differential case in the back of the car. Then place a jackstand at each of the 4 jackstand locations which are on the pinch welds where the pinch weld is doubled over about a foot towards the center from each wheel. There is a diagram of the points in the factory service manual that floats around on the Interweb. I suggest you find it if you don't have a copy.
my personal favorite jacking points on the z is the rear diff, and the tranny. nice big spots to put a jack on.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:51 AM
Qbrozen

Originally Posted by PoWeRtRiP
my personal favorite jacking points on the z is the rear diff, and the tranny. nice big spots to put a jack on.
Ummmm... differential is one thing because its attached via springs, which support the weight of the car when on the road ... but the TRANNY?? so you are effectively putting the weight of the car on your transmission mounts. I really don't think that's a good idea.
Old 05-21-2005, 02:45 AM
the7ferret

Can we actually jack our car up using the diff?
Eeek Seems like that would be bad... I mean all that weight on the diff and axle, freaks me out... I know thier is a spot under the engine (or somewere over there) but My jack cant get that low.
Old 05-21-2005, 03:18 AM
Speedracer

Originally Posted by Chicken
rxtrom, I live in CA now, but when I lived in CT (Hartford area), a neighbor was a seasoned mechanic (years and years). he was working on his car at his house and the car fell on him and he was rushed to the hospital. It didn't kill him, but I'm sure it wasn't a pleasant experience. After that, I am very uneasy about jacking up cars and getting any where near being under them.
Getting under a car with a stock car jack as a support is like playing russian roulette with 5 bullets in a 6 chamber gun. I've only gotten under my car with jack stands firmly in place, and a $150 hydraulic floor jack is also a good investment. Makes jacking up the car a piece of cake too.

Never work on your car without the proper tools or equipment.