Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Who's taken the Z on a long trip? (2+ hrs.)

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2002, 09:39 PM
MikeyDNY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who's taken the Z on a long trip? (2+ hrs.)

For those who have taken the car out on a long trip . . . how comfortable is the car? If I remember correctly, the car is at 3k rpm in 6th around 70 on the highway--does the engine noise get overbearing? How about the ride quality? Is the car to bouncy over rough pavement?
Old 11-28-2002, 10:10 PM
Z PHAT Z

I took her on a 3 hours trip. The seat is very comfortable. You don't feel your back aching. The engine noise is not loud at all on the highway. Yes! it's kinda bouncy.
Old 11-28-2002, 10:18 PM
roberto350z

I just did 2hrs and 11min. (damn that timer is handy) and I was surprised at how pleasant the drive was. I didnt hit many bumps in the road, the car is QUIET with the 17s and dynomat all over the hatch area and the seat is grade A+. Not having to shift out of 6th to race honda civics on the freeway is pretty sweet too!
Old 11-28-2002, 10:33 PM
BENCH

I drove 3hrs from CT to Queens,NY for thanksgiving. The car is quiet but the ride on a bumpy road is bone shattering. Especially in New York it made rattle/squeeks worse. Thank God I don't live in NY anymore. I've got stares from BMWs, Rice cars and a beeping thumbs up from an old guy.

I have 1080 miles on the car now, when I get back to CT my break in period is over I did cheat during break in, donuts on a wet parking lot I also haven't waxed the car yet since I got it Nov.7. The car doesn't look dirty, I chose a CS bec I know I will get lazy cleaning a car. I will probably trade in this z for a newer 2004 model.

I Love teh Z!
Old 11-29-2002, 07:29 AM
mcduck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This past Sunday, I spent 7 hours driving to, on, then home from the Blue Ridge Parkway with only occasional "scenic" stops on the Parkway itself.

After 7 hours, I was not the least bit fatigued from driving. The car was quite comfortable the whole way.

I did not find engine noise to be excessive (of course, my other car is a '95 Jeep Grand Cherokee... if you're used to a comfy sedan it may seem a little loud to you)

I also did not find the car to be terribly bouncy, but the roads I took are well-maintained.

Overall, the long drive experience was much better than I had anticipated. I luv this car!!!!
Old 11-29-2002, 08:49 AM
MacGuru

I drove my Z back from Chicago to NY. The road trip was a dream, little road noise @ 3k and very comfortable. However, driving in manhattan is a nightmare. ******* pot holes, construction and cabbies, and the occasional double nuckle blue haired stray that manages to find their way into the city. I avoid the city as much as possible, but unfortunately most of my client meeting are there. I'm currently look for a winter beater, since a taxi cab crushed my old Acura integra. Drive safe. -m
Old 11-29-2002, 10:05 AM
Zygote

Drove back and forth to Houston on Thanksgiving day, bout 2.5 hours one way. The ride was smooth when the highway wasn't something out of a picture of Beirut, seats comfortable and the stereo drowned out whatever engine noise there is.
On a rough road it can't get bouncy but I've found I enjoy that. Let's me know I'm really driving and keeps me awake so I don't get the white stripe zzzzzzs.
Worst thing about long trips, people drifting in the blind spot staring at the car...
Old 11-29-2002, 10:23 AM
MikeyDNY

I forgot to ask people to put down what model they have so we can see the difference in responses betwen people w/ the 17s and 18s.

I rode 2 1/2 hrs each way in a late model prelude (4at--no overdrive) yesterday. That was hideous. At 70, the car's at 3200 rpm and it sounds like a lawnmower. You can barely even carry on a conversation and when you come to a stop you realize just how damn LOUD the radio was up just to hear it clearly. I've been in coverts. w/ the top down that were much more comfortable.
Old 11-29-2002, 10:31 AM
Zygote

Originally posted by MikeyDNY
I forgot to ask people to put down what model they have so we can see the difference in responses betwen people w/ the 17s and 18s.
Mine was touring model, on the 17s.
Old 11-29-2002, 11:41 AM
robbyn
Charter Member #79

I drove 7 hours round trip to Pittsburgh Steelers game last Sunday. Car drove like a dream except a little bit of slip when the outside temp hit 36. I averaged 80 going out and 70 coming back (with a quick peek at 120 just to see what it felt like). Didn't notice any road noise to speak off and the ride was very smooth. Like my sig. says: 6 speed Enthusiast - 17 inch wheels.
Old 11-29-2002, 02:54 PM
MacGuru

Touring model, 17"s
Old 11-29-2002, 03:19 PM
Shogun
Charter Member #54

Just arrived home today in Denver from Sarasota Florida after 2 week trip and 5.5k miles.

Twelve hundred miles exactly at a very convenient off ramp somewhere in Kansas and the subsequent blast-off was quite rewarding.

Beware of troopers in Ga., Tn. and Ks. Thanx 8500.

Everybody else has summed up the benefits as a touring car quite nicely.

PPW Enthusiast 6MT
Old 11-29-2002, 08:44 PM
Rogue350z
!!HR TT!!

Default Salt Lake City, Utah to Atlanta, GA

Three day trip about 1,900 miles to replace my totaled car. Me and my wife drove about 500 miles on two days and 900 on one day. Car was great!

I had totaled 350z two weeks before and had quite a bit of back pain. However I drove more than half the miles home without one problem with my back (except for the sorry hotel beds). Ride was excellent and I saw all kinds of interstate.

Touring 6MT. Told my wife when I got home I was ready to turn around and go back....
Old 11-29-2002, 09:47 PM
Zonny

Thumbs up

Got my 350Z a week ago. Drove it 90 miles from dealership to home. Yesterday, I drove it 220 miles. all kinds of roads, narrow two lanes, divided newly paved four lanes, two lanes with many pot holes. I was concerned after test driving the 350Z as to how it would ride on a long trip. I was really surprised (and so was my wife) that we were not tied after the ride. Some of the cars that I have owned were Mazda 929, BMW 318i, '97 Buick Rivera, Chrysler Town & Country, PT Cruiser and before these a 1973 Datsun 240Z. Car info is just to let you know what I'm basing my opinion on. The 350Z has a firm ride, you can feel the road and all its imperfections. On a smooth road it is fairly quiet. On a rough road (heavy gravel aggregate in asphalt) it is noisy. If you run over sand or gravel you can hear it clearly when it hits the wheel wells. You will surely feel every bump or hole that you hit, but the car does have a very solid sound when running over them. Remember, this is a sports car, you are supposed to feel the road. My major complain would be that there needs to be more sound deadening for the under carriage and wheel wells. But, if I wanted only a smooth quiet ride I would have bought another Rivera (but they've quiet making'em). Considering the type of car it is, I am pleased with its ride. Yes, a few improvements could be made without sacrificing performance.

Touring, LeMans Sunset, burnt orange interior, all options (except aero package), M6, 18" wheels (I like the GPS, a toy within a toy)
Old 11-30-2002, 06:55 AM
zblime

Default dynamat install

Originally posted by roberto350z
dynomat all over the hatch area
Roberto

do you have any info on the dynamat install?
Old 11-30-2002, 08:57 AM
Cazzz Z

Default How Many Drives have I been on in my Z?

Well to start out, I was outta town when I got the call that my car was in. I was about 150 miles out on an assignment & I knew it would happen. What would U have done? I looked at my watch, it was about 3:00 p.m., my next photo assignment would not start until 11:00 p.m., I grabbed the client that I was out there working with & said that I needed her to take a ride with me (needed her for the carpool lane). I made the journey, in rush hour traffic in my QX4. Got home to drop my QX4 off & had to make another 1 hour drive to the dealership. Got there by 7:30 p.m., started unloading my gear, transferring it to the Z, was signing papers at 7:45, was on the road by 8:10 p.m. Didn't wait for the explanation of the features and gadgets on the car, I went thru that about 6 days prior with the chrome silver one that had the same options on it. Sorry did not follow break in.. I was cruising about 80 MPH in 3rd & I saw a hole that i could squeeze thru & floored it. I got up to 120 and then said enough.. The ride home the next afternoon was interesting, it was daytime & to see all of the looky-loos that were about to kill themselves to try to catch up with me. The car was saying, "come on, bring it!!" I had a very good ride, smooth sailin all the way. Then the next day I put the 20" on it.. Very cool drives since then, yes a little more bouncy, steering shaky sometimes, but I am lovin it. I even went out to Northern Cali for a Z meet which is almost 350 miles away, made it in 4 1/2 hours by myself.

I luv my Zs
Attached Thumbnails Who's taken the Z on a long trip? (2+ hrs.)-my-drivewaydubble2sml.jpg  
Old 11-30-2002, 09:35 AM
Ohio350z

I have driven it many different trips for 2+ hours. The first thing I have to say is I love driving it on the freeway. The second thing I have to say is that the stock tires suck. I switched over to the Blizzak LM-22s and not only is the ride smoother and less bumpy, I get better traction on dry. When it comes to snow and Ice the combination of the TCS and the Winter tires works great. I can't wait to get a better tire for the summer, I have heard the Bridgestone S02 or the Mich. pilot sports offer a great ride and great grip. I also notice that I get a lot less wheel hop and spin with the LM-22s. I think the choice of the stock tires was a poor one and that is why the Z is only pulling a .89g on the skidpad. With some decent tires I have been reading about the car pulling a .98-1.01 g without any suspension mods.
Old 12-01-2002, 12:20 AM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went on a 3.5 hr drive a few weeks ago, over all types of highway. I commute 1hr each way to work and back, over twisty roads and straight highway. The car is totally awesome on twisty roads, and OK on highways. Engine noise is not an issue (3000 RPM = 80 MPH) because road noise pretty much covers everything else. The noise is not terrible by any means, just louder than the other noises. Also, the stiff suspension will make you feel all the bumps, which is not bad in many circumstances, but which can make you feel like you are hurting the car when you go over poorly paved highways. I've found that cement highways poured in evenly spaced sections are the worst, and can cause the car to undulate over the separators. Still, I love to drive it. The seats are very comfortable, and even though the ride is bumpy, it is not punishing.

-D'oh!
Old 12-01-2002, 02:07 AM
Dolfan13

I drove from Oakland to Bakersfield and back this last week and this car just performed great. I did not have any problems at all. I was not cramped or uncomfortable. I did get a lot of thumbs up and challanges to race. I stopped in Kettleman for gas and noticed someone hanging out of the back window of a car screaming to me how nice the car was....I really enjoy driving this car.