Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many people actually care if painted calipers are considered Rice or not?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 03:24 PM
Tenac1ousZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many people actually care if painted calipers are considered Rice or not?

Just curious.

I personally don't care, as I usually do whatever I feel like to my car to make it look the way I want, whether it be painting the calipers, putting on a boby kit, or slapping on a rear spoiler so big that other motorists mistake my car for a plane that is making an emergency landing. The point is, it makes little difference to me if some do not like what I've done to my car, as it is often said that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I don’t expect everyone to share my vision, nor do I do things based on the perception of what others feel should be done. I believe that a day living in your view is ten times greater than living ten days in views of others.

Of course, if the girlfriend doesn’t like it, then it’s another story all together, as my view will be changed accordingly .

Vince.

Last edited by Tenac1ousZ; 05-23-2005 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:43 PM
Sensation350Z

wow.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:15 PM
Tenac1ousZ

Originally Posted by Sensation350Z
wow.

Wow is a strong word....lets try and keep the word choice civilized here?
Old 05-23-2005, 04:58 PM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

ummmmm
Old 05-23-2005, 05:36 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

It should be and shouldn't be whether it's your choice or not.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:31 PM
Jaki

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see them as ricey, and I honestly don't care if someone sees them as rice or not. Everybody has their own tastes and opinions that they're entitled to.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:37 PM
ZBoater

It kinda irks me when people throw the term "rice" around so lightly, and in such a disrespectful manner. But the bottom line is that I ultimately don't care what people think, as I will do to my car whatever I want. I like to ask for opinions and suggestions from people, and sometimes I get really good ones, and sometimes I get geniuses calling it "rice".
Old 05-23-2005, 07:02 PM
Melodic

Painted calipers isnt "rice". Wings that you could lifeguard from are "rice". Ricers make me want to vomit. I honestly cannot stand to see a car riced out and nor can I usually stand the drivers of these cars either. One of the things that pisses me off the most when Im in one of the Vipers and some ricer pulls up next to me wanting to race.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:16 PM
Z Shadow

I assuming this has been prompted by the other thread about painted calipers being rice, if it is well here's my reponse all be it biased b/c I have fallen off the wagon, hit my head and painted my calipers with "Daytona Yellow" engine paint. I know stop the presses b/c I've turned to the rice side

I'd be willing to bet that had the thread stated:

If you put the chrome door strips on your grill would that be rice or not

There would have been many of the same rice comments about it as the calipers...as some put it your trying to make your brakes look like a BBK when their not, well for those of us who have done the trim deal must be considered rice addicts as well b/c from a far it would appear that are grills are chromed, but there not.... If memory serves me well that was heralded as a great inexpensive mod to add a little zing to the front end, but I don't remember it being called rice, so what's the freakin difference anyways, cuz i sure don't know. Some like it and others don't

There are definitely Z's that I say to myself "that's not my cup of tea" and I leave it at that. Other's are amazing and I say "nice, but my budget won't allow me to make my car like that" I'm glad that there are people willing to take chances and get creative with their cars, some look great and others look blah

Think of how boring this all would be if everyone only picked what was the hottest look or in thing that everybody was doing...All the Z's would look like copycats just in different colors

Anyways just my .02 and I think there have been very many creative ideas from everybody, wait a minute let me restate that everybody except maybe this guy He's back

https://my350z.com/forum/attachment....chmentid=12971
Old 05-23-2005, 07:18 PM
Z Shadow

Originally Posted by Melodic
Painted calipers isnt "rice". Wings that you could lifeguard from are "rice". Ricers make me want to vomit. I honestly cannot stand to see a car riced out and nor can I usually stand the drivers of these cars either. One of the things that pisses me off the most when Im in one of the Vipers and some ricer pulls up next to me wanting to race.

What if it's the "Baby Viper" with stickers on his car would you play with him
Old 05-23-2005, 07:21 PM
Melodic

Originally Posted by Z Shadow
What if it's the "Baby Viper" with stickers on his car would you play with him

Whats the "baby Viper"? (lol) I dont street race, so that would be a no.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:22 PM
Melodic

Wow, that interior is HIDEOUS!! I cant believe someone actually put that in their car.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:27 PM
Z Shadow

The "Baby Viper" is a term that I have heard used for the dodge neon srt

It's a fast 4 banger with a turbo from what I have read
Old 05-23-2005, 07:31 PM
lane myers

oohh. i never heard it refered to as the "baby viper" - but i get it - at first i was confused too... they are decently quick cars though...
Old 05-23-2005, 07:33 PM
Melodic

You know, thats what I figured you were talking about, but I wasnt sure. No, I wouldnt race it either. They're fast little cars though. I saw a really nice black one the other day.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:17 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, that interior is HIDEOUS!! I cant believe someone actually put that in their car.

+1 on the "Stay-Puft Marshmallow Seats"

Looks very comfortable though!
Old 05-23-2005, 10:51 PM
Tenac1ousZ

Thumbs up

I assuming this has been prompted by the other thread about painted calipers being rice, if it is well here's my reponse all be it biased b/c I have fallen off the wagon, hit my head and painted my calipers with "Daytona Yellow" engine paint. I know stop the presses b/c I've turned to the rice side

I'd be willing to bet that had the thread stated:

If you put the chrome door strips on your grill would that be rice or not

There would have been many of the same rice comments about it as the calipers...as some put it your trying to make your brakes look like a BBK when their not, well for those of us who have done the trim deal must be considered rice addicts as well b/c from a far it would appear that are grills are chromed, but there not.... If memory serves me well that was heralded as a great inexpensive mod to add a little zing to the front end, but I don't remember it being called rice, so what's the freakin difference anyways, cuz i sure don't know. Some like it and others don't

There are definitely Z's that I say to myself "that's not my cup of tea" and I leave it at that. Other's are amazing and I say "nice, but my budget won't allow me to make my car like that" I'm glad that there are people willing to take chances and get creative with their cars, some look great and others look blah

Think of how boring this all would be if everyone only picked what was the hottest look or in thing that everybody was doing...All the Z's would look like copycats just in different colors

Anyways just my .02 and I think there have been very many creative ideas from everybody, wait a minute let me restate that everybody except maybe this guy He's back

Well said Z Shadow.

Now about those leather seats, isn't that the leather that comes with the 36th anniversary Z? I think Nissan is taking the easy way out in addressing the stiff suspension complaints
Old 05-23-2005, 11:07 PM
Tenac1ousZ

Lol....I'm sure they enjoy inhaling viper smoke and dust. So how about my red-caliper Z vs your Viper and we get it on film? I'm sure I can keep up for the first 2 seconds .

But I welcome your rice/no rice opinion, and I'm sure a lot of people can relate to your point of view.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:29 AM
ZBoater

I think this boils down to what the definition of "rice" is in the context of perfomance vehicles. Since there is no definitive definition in the dictionary (yet), the best one I found was at the Rice-Boy page at http://www.riceboypage.com/what_is_riceboy/ . An interesting quotes:

"What sets apart Rice-Boys from normal performance enthusiasts is that they are more concerned with the image of speed than they are about actual performace."

I believe the term rice is more intended to describe the portraying of the "illusion" of performance. So, if I painted my calipers red because I wanted to give the impression they are BBKs, then that would be rice. However, my intent is key. If I just painted them and that's it, I may also be trying to color coordinate. Its not clear whether I am attempting to fool someone (who obviously doesnt know any better) or not. Now, if I put a Brembo sticker on my painted OEM caliper, THAT is CLEAR INTENT of deception, and thus falls squarely into the realm of "rice".

My $.02.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:02 AM
Melodic

Originally Posted by Tenac1ousZ
Lol....I'm sure they enjoy inhaling viper smoke and dust. So how about my red-caliper Z vs your Viper and we get it on film? I'm sure I can keep up for the first 2 seconds .

But I welcome your rice/no rice opinion, and I'm sure a lot of people can relate to your point of view.

I wouldnt mind a race on a back-road, but I would never do that kind of thing on the freeway and or busy road.

Quick Reply: How many people actually care if painted calipers are considered Rice or not?