Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

noob driver...how strong is the clutch/tranny

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 12:52 PM
bkknight369

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noob driver...how strong is the clutch/tranny

So I bought my z a few days ago, and couldnt be happier, but I'm concerned because its my first mt car...I'm embarrased to say I'm stalling at least 2x a day for the last two days (3 times today ; but I'm also driving 50-70 miles/day in the city just for practice). My question is, how strong/solid is the clutch and tranny? The last thing I want to do is damage my beautiful new car...and obviously if I keep on stalling some damage is going to occur, but it is like if I keep this up (light stalls, 0 mph), I'll need a new clutch/tranny in 500 miles?

Also what are the signs of damaged clutch/tranny? grinding sound when shifting? Something else?

Help a freaked-out n00b
Old 05-25-2005, 01:08 PM
MadMax76

Dude, that is just about the same question that I had on my mind. I also got my Z last Saturday and I love it but I am being paranoid. I hear all the clunking sounds when I shift and just in general I hear sounds that freak me out. I don't stall the car very much though.

On another note, you should join the Autocross practice in Everett on Boieng's parking lot - lots of Z's there. While I am breaking the car in I am not going to run but I just come and watch, and talk to people. Checkout Northwest regional section of this forum for more info. I think the next practice is on June 4th.

Oh, yea, as far as not stalling the car - just give it more gas .
Old 05-25-2005, 01:25 PM
elms350Z

I know extacly what you guys are going through, so hopeflly I can be of assistance. I got my Z about a month ago and the clutch and blind spot were really starting to annoy me. To be honest I just now got used to them both, so there is hope . I went from driving a Mitsu for 5 years and the clutch enage point on diamondstars were really low. The 350Z engage point is lil tricky. Notice how its very high, causing you to give too much gas when it engages. I had to drive around the first month with the music down just so I can hear and feel where I was at. It's kinda hard to explain in words how to overcome this. I think it's a combonation of breaking the Z in and you adapting to it. I would also suggest doing a search on this Forum about clutch/tranny problems. The 03 and 04 did have some issues. So if thats what you have I'd look into it. Other then that the "Search" is your best friend here. Congrats on the Z's.

Last edited by elms350Z; 05-25-2005 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:46 PM
bkknight369

Originally Posted by MadMax76
Dude, that is just about the same question that I had on my mind. I also got my Z last Saturday and I love it but I am being paranoid. I hear all the clunking sounds when I shift and just in general I hear sounds that freak me out. I don't stall the car very much though.

On another note, you should join the Autocross practice in Everett on Boieng's parking lot - lots of Z's there. While I am breaking the car in I am not going to run but I just come and watch, and talk to people. Checkout Northwest regional section of this forum for more info. I think the next practice is on June 4th.

Oh, yea, as far as not stalling the car - just give it more gas .

hehe congrats! where did you get your car from? I got it from Burien nissan

I've gone autocrossing on Boeing's parking lot before with my old acura...and it was AWESOME. But I gotta get used to the car (and break it in) first, but maybe I'll just swing by on the 4th.

Good i see another WA z owner
Old 05-25-2005, 02:47 PM
bkknight369

Originally Posted by elms350Z
I know extacly what you guys are going through, so hopeflly I can be of assistance. I got my Z about a month ago and the clutch and blind spot were really starting to annoy me. To be honest I just now got used to them both, so there is hope . I went from driving a Mitsu for 5 years and the clutch enage point on diamondstars were really low. The 350Z engage point is lil tricky. Notice how its very high, causing you to give too much gas when it engages. I had to drive around the first month with the music down just so I can hear and feel where I was at. It's kinda hard to explain in words how to overcome this. I think it's a combonation of breaking the Z in and you adapting to it. I would also suggest doing a search on this Forum about clutch/tranny problems. The 03 and 04 did have some issues. So if thats what you have I'd look into it. Other then that the "Search" is your best friend here. Congrats on the Z's.
Gotcha thx...yes the catch point is pretty high...and for the most part I can feel is engage, but in traffic it gets hard to consistently and smoothly find it

I think i am just being super parinoid...
Old 05-25-2005, 03:02 PM
speedracer9728

just test drove a Z today,

didn't seem that tough, but today, I got my left foot stuck under the brake pedal...those damn pedals are small.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:06 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The tranny is strong, if you have the newer version with no synchro issues. So is the rear end (pumpkin) it can support some serious power. Our clutch is beast, I have 49K on mine and it still chirps 3rd like day one, I powershift my car when I race, clutch has never slipped. Also have a handful of 6000 rpm launches on slicks, no problems. Dont worry about the tranny clunking its a big/stout tranny, dont expect it to be quiet. Our axles are so so, some people snap them easy, some have no issues, all depends on how you launch your car....dont worry about slamming gears, launching guys your fine. And if your stalling you have nothing to worry about, Id rather stall 100X than burn than ride the clutch off the line and burn it 1X.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:07 PM
HarvesterUT
Premier Member

my Z was my first MT car as well. dont worry about stalling so much its not bad for the car. however, grinding the gear or bounching it off the rev-limiter, or failing to rev-match can have some long term damage. it took me til 5000 miles to drive it smooth, and i havent stalled in forever
Old 05-25-2005, 03:12 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Here's a tip -- In an empty lot, or whenever you don't have anyone behind you, practice engaging the clutch with no gas. It can definitely be done if you're slow and smooth enough. Do this until the point where you master it and be able to take off smoothly with just a slight touch of the gas. (I generally engage at 900-1200)
Old 05-25-2005, 03:13 PM
bkknight369

Originally Posted by Alberto
The tranny is strong, if you have the newer version with no synchro issues. So is the rear end (pumpkin) it can support some serious power. Our clutch is beast, I have 49K on mine and it still chirps 3rd like day one, I powershift my car when I race, clutch has never slipped. Also have a handful of 6000 rpm launches on slicks, no problems. Dont worry about the tranny clunking its a big/stout tranny, dont expect it to be quiet. Our axles are so so, some people snap them easy, some have no issues, all depends on how you launch your car....dont worry about slamming gears, launching guys your fine. And if your stalling you have nothing to worry about, Id rather stall 100X than burn than ride the clutch off the line and burn it 1X.
thats exactly the kind of reassurance I was looking for...thanks