Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Unfortunately, I now have a scrape on my car. Need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2002, 07:52 AM
vicmar90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Unfortunately, I now have a scrape on my car. Need advice!

Below are some photos. I am not sure how they got there but I suspect it was (sadly to say) my wife who accidentally scraped it when going to an ATM machine. I have some ideas on what to do to fix this but would like your opinion(s). Here is what I am thinking:

1. Have the spoiler removed, repaired and repainted.

2. Purchase Nismo side skirt set ($ 637) and have it painted and bolted on (it would cover all of the scrapes). Keep stock front and rear bumpers.

3. Purchase Nismo side skirt set ($637), Veilside front lip spoiler ($451), and Veilside rear under spoiler ($451) and have them painted and bolted on.

The reason for option 3 is that I am not sure how the Nismo side skirts would look without any front and rear spoilers. Also, I am not fond of the Nismo front spoiler since you have to replace the whole bumper and this costs almost $800 and I also like the Veilside rear spoiler better since it wraps around the rear bumper completely where as the Nismo does not. Japanparts sells boths brands which is nice also. You can see pictures there if interested.

Your opinions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Victor
Attached Thumbnails Unfortunately, I now have a scrape on my car.   Need advice!-scratch1.jpg  
Old 12-01-2002, 07:52 AM
vicmar90

Another:
Attached Thumbnails Unfortunately, I now have a scrape on my car.   Need advice!-scratch2.jpg  
Old 12-01-2002, 07:53 AM
vicmar90

Last:
Attached Thumbnails Unfortunately, I now have a scrape on my car.   Need advice!-scratch3.jpg  
Old 12-01-2002, 08:03 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you really need to replace the entire front bumper to have the Nismo front spoiler??? I didn't know that. It looks like it is just added on to the existing one. I know it looks different than ours but I thought that was just the way the front grill looks on the Japanese Fairlady version.

Anyone know for sure?

BTW, have you tried simply buffing out the scrape and using some swirl mark filler to see how this looks?
Old 12-01-2002, 08:43 AM
vicmar90

Yea, I'm pretty sure the Nismo front spoiler comes mounted on their bumper. If you look at japanparts.com you will see that they sell the bumper and front spoiler as an assembly. I believe I read in another post a while back from someone that ran into this same problem.

The pictures I am showing is after rubbing Meguiar's Scratch X a couple of times on it. I don't know if a rubbing compound would be better for the scrapes on the bottom of the spoiler but at the back end of the spoiler where the rear wheel well is there is a hole from the spoiler being split open (picture 3). This hole would need to be filled. I used the Nissan touchup paint pen to fill the hole with the color of the car or else you would see a black spot which is what the spoiler I guess would look like unpainted. Also, the clear plastic protective film is slightly ripped and has what looks like a black burn mark which I haven't been able to remove.

Thanks.
Victor
Old 12-01-2002, 09:53 AM
rouxeny

Ouch! Victor, I got my first scratch too. My friend was driving and he came a little too close to a parking bump. I think I'll get the front lip CF-look cover some day to cover it. A cheap alternative would be to get a replacement factory side skirt. I think it would be fairly easy to get, although might take a while before delivery.

But then again, I know you're dying to get a body kit.

How was vacation?
Old 12-01-2002, 10:27 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess it is worse than your pics actually show. Well, if you always wanted a kit, maybe this is a blessing in disguise!
Old 12-01-2002, 10:45 AM
vicmar90

Thanks guys. Just for your info. I tried some Z-5 Zaino after the Scratch X and it did absolutely nothing. Yes, the scrape is worse than it looks in the pictures. Also, I didn't include the fact that my rim got slightly scraped as well (approximately 2" along the outer edge) but it is only noticable from close. Rims, however, can be easily replaced (not cheaply of course but fixable problem).

I don't know what a replacement side skirt costs but I will look into it only if it can be ordered factory painted, otherwise, I am sure it will be cheaper to fix and repaint the existing skirt. My only concern is paint matching. The Nismo side spoiler is not that tall and thus feel any paint mismatch would be only slightly noticably. The factory skirt itself is fairly high on the rear and I am afraid that even a slight paint mismatch would be pretty noticable.

After further research into my Option 3, it looks like this will cost me approximately $ 1,500 plus paint and install.

Andrew, sorry to hear about your scratch. If it's on the bottom of the front bumper than a CF front lip would definitely cover it. I personally prefer the look of a painted lip over that of a CF but again only my opinion.

Victor
Old 12-01-2002, 11:11 AM
roberto350z

Well, I have noticed that my side skirt doesnt match anyway! Looks different in direct light.

Also, give microcut a try. Its a gritty compound from the detail store...but I cant really tell how bad it is! It looks like a flesh wound that will clean up nicely with some compound....then you can even just have the part clear coated for much cheaper. ???

Sorry dood! I got nailed by a soccer ball yesterday!
Attached Thumbnails Unfortunately, I now have a scrape on my car.   Need advice!-pb300026.jpg  
Old 12-01-2002, 11:21 AM
shembree

Hey guys,

What is the "cf lip cover", and where do you get it? My car's not in yet, but I'm used to driving a 4x4, and I know I am going to hit a cement curb sooner or later. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-01-2002, 12:46 PM
vicmar90

I'll look into microcut. The scrape is not that deep so it might work. There is a 2" long section that did scrape the whole paint off, however, it is thin. There still will be that hole in the back that I filled in with touchup paint which needs work but if the compound works on the scrape it will make me feel better. I still will have to do something to repair the little hole at the rear of the side skirt. I will not be able to live with this as is come Spring.

Thanks for the info.
Victor
Old 12-02-2002, 09:53 AM
roberto350z

remember, were talking PRO paint and detail shop, and you might need a high speep buffer. Ask the employee if he thinks it will work. I never used a high speed buffer to use microcut, even though it says you have to. I just keep rubbing and rubbing and try to get it as fast and hard as possible, and it has ALWAYS worked! But to do it "right" get a high speed. Even though its like 200 bucks, having that and microcut around works miracles every time....
Old 12-02-2002, 10:00 AM
nosuchsol

Go for the side skirts... i think they look good and will probably be just fine. =) I'm not sure what you'd be paying for a new stock one. Oh, and divorce the wife... lol, j/k. Seriously, I wish I had a wife to scrape up my car. =(
Old 12-02-2002, 11:11 AM
Intrepid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You let your wife drive your Z? What a nice guy!
Old 12-02-2002, 12:52 PM
vicmar90

Talking

I was wondering when the wife jokes were going to start. Unfortunately, in order for me to get the car she would need to drive it as the only other car we have I use for work (I'm in sales and on the road daily). My wife stays home and just goes out to run local errands. This is the first time anything like this has happened to her and we've been married 11 years. Of course, it happens now when I am really picky about the car.

I had an estimate done today by the shop that's going to work on Zboy's car and they quoted me $437 (repair, repaint, and clear coat). Does this seem fair? They claim to do high end work (they normally work on Porsche's, BMW's, etc.).

I am also out of curiosity having quoted the Stillen side skirts and rear valance painted and installed. It appears this would be much less expensive than my option 3 and the Stillen kit is growing on me. I am not interested in the front bumper. I like the stock bumper as is.
Victor
Old 12-02-2002, 01:22 PM
ezchief

Not to throw fire but looks like it could have been a skateboard tail "pushed" into the car. No matter it still sucks. Maybe the wife saw some kids? Just a thought. I to have a nice gouge but it was my fault in my own garage.