Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Seat Warmers

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2002, 05:49 AM
chrismcm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Seat Warmers

My seat heater seems to turn off after 15 minutes of use. Is this normal? Typically I have to turn the switch off and on again to make it start warming again.
Old 12-02-2002, 06:44 AM
silverz

Default Seat warmers

Yes & no. The seat will heat up to the maximum temp. then it levels off. The seat wamer light shouldn't turn off though. Is the light going out on your switch?
Old 12-02-2002, 06:49 AM
chrismcm

The light remains on but the warmer seems to turn off. When I cycle the switch, the seat heats up again.

So the seat has some kind of thermostat and is supposed to cycle?
Old 12-02-2002, 06:51 AM
N74DV

yep... mine's the same way. hetas up for a while then shuts down.... have to recycle the switch and all is warm again
Old 12-02-2002, 11:54 AM
koryo

I was trying to reason why Japanese seat warmers always work in an intermittent fashion. Conservative? Manufacturing limits? Is this the way the Japanese culture likes it? Dunno. I just asked my Japanese friend, he didn't know, but he offered that, Japan doesn't really use seat warmers. So, I guess they just don't have any experience with them.

koryo
Old 12-04-2002, 05:43 AM
silverz

Default Seat warmers

I believe that Saab and Volvo do the same thing or some type of variation. Their reasoning is that they don't want the driver to get too comfortable while driving. They want the driver to pay attention to the road. I guess it make sense from a safety standpoint, but is still a "soft" reason.
Old 12-04-2002, 07:18 AM
Rahtok

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How long does it take for them to turn back on? Is it actually a time based thing, or is it a thermostat based thing? It seems to me that I remember reading that they are a thermostat based unit. I assumed this meant they were varying the voltage to the seats to keep it at a 'warm' temperature, not simply turning it off.

I have two domestic cars w/bun warmers in them now, and neither of them cycle on/off.
Old 12-04-2002, 07:26 AM
chrismcm

It usually takes around 10-20 minutes for them to come back on by themselves. It doesn't seem to be thermostat driven because there is a huge variance in the temperature of the seat.
Old 12-04-2002, 08:05 AM
k2we

The seat heater's are time based.. If they stayed on, you would burn up the wiring and the seats. It draws a lot of current... It's just like the rear window defogger.. It only stays on for about 10-15 minutes before shutting off..

It was 14 degrees this morning and I used the heaters for the first time.. The seats came up to full heat in a bot 3 minutes and it felt great.. I would have never gotten the leather seats without the heaters..

Anyone else with leather seats noticing the leather stretching??

Steve (k2we) Dobbs Ferry, NY

Touring/6MT/Chrome Silver/Mats & side air bags.. 3750 miles in 9+ weeks..
Old 12-04-2002, 08:39 AM
Rahtok

Originally posted by k2we
The seat heater's are time based.. If they stayed on, you would burn up the wiring and the seats. It draws a lot of current... It's just like the rear window defogger.. It only stays on for about 10-15 minutes before shutting off..

It was 14 degrees this morning and I used the heaters for the first time.. The seats came up to full heat in a bot 3 minutes and it felt great.. I would have never gotten the leather seats without the heaters..

Not to be contrary, but it would _not_ burn up the seats... just your butt. Like I said, I have two cars w/seat heaters, and they don't cycle off. They just generally get too hot to be comfortable. You are right about the current draw tho... it's quite hefty.
Old 12-04-2002, 08:55 AM
flynnibus
Z Flier

Guys.. it specifically states in the manual they are thermostat controlled. Maybe a service manual owner can check it out.

I think the difference you are feeling is the temp they want, the the hot temp felt while the warmer is actually on (hot spot).

I leave mine switched on all the time.. and it keeps a warm temperate constantly. 5 minutes into the drive I don't notice if the temp varies.
Old 12-04-2002, 08:59 AM
abz123

Are there warmers in the leg area too? I have only noticed the back area getting hot.

I usually can't take it for more than 15 minutes before I have to turn them off. They feel nice though when you need them.
Old 12-04-2002, 09:18 AM
Rahtok

Originally posted by flynnibus
Guys.. it specifically states in the manual they are thermostat controlled. Maybe a service manual owner can check it out.

I think the difference you are feeling is the temp they want, the the hot temp felt while the warmer is actually on (hot spot).

I leave mine switched on all the time.. and it keeps a warm temperate constantly. 5 minutes into the drive I don't notice if the temp varies.
Sa-weet! That's what I wanted to hear. My Olds does a good job of not getting too hot, but the Jeep could fry eggs if you aren't careful. I was looking forward to being able to turn them on without roasting.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:54 AM
LugZ

Originally Posted by k2we

+1 - refer to manual. To prevent overheating and potential fire