Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

GAS for the Z

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2002, 06:58 PM
silverzman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GAS for the Z

I hear that all gases are essentially the same with each company adding their own additives, but which do you fill your Z up with:

* Chevron with Techron? (which BMW recommends for their new cars)
* Texaco?
* ExxonMobil?
* BP?
* Arco?
* Shell?
* Conoco?
* Any others and why???
Old 12-02-2002, 07:00 PM
Selski12

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SHELL! Because Ferrari uses them
Old 12-02-2002, 07:15 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use BP if possible, which is now amoco gas. but will use QT or any other major brand if its convenient.
Old 12-02-2002, 08:34 PM
VaGentleman

Originally posted by ///M3-Mike
Regular gas? premium? whats the difference... my z just gets regular.. theres no point in wasting my $$$

For the 350Z, Nissan recommends at least 93 octane and thus you should use at least 93 octane fuel *in my opinion...just reading the owner's manual *.

Lower octane fuels burn faster than higher octane fuels.

If the gasoline in an engine burns (combusts) faster, i.e., prematurely (in terms of mere milliseconds), or combusts spontaneously, or too rapidly, or too violently, because of using fuel with a lower octane rating than that which is recommended by the car's manufacturer, it is inferior combustion, and makes a pinging or rattling noise from the engine, usually when accelerating. Severe pinging can quickly destroy an engine.

Chronic mild pinging can eventually result in serious damage to an engine. A sturdy engine can withstand occasional light pinging, though maybe with slightly accelerated wear on certain parts. When any pinging occurs, efficiency and power are reduced, and fuel consumption is increased. Put simply, pinging is not good.

A highly respected automobile technician who I know said "In my years as an auto mechanic I have seen several engines that were severely damaged because their owners refused to be 'ripped off' by premium gasoline. The engines pinged to death. Those consumers spent more money, and all at once, for major engine repairs, than the total additional money that they would have spent, and pennies at a time, on premium gasoline. Pinging can cause, for example, 'blown' head gaskets, damaged heads, damaged pistons, damaged cylinder bores, 'blown' engines, etc."

Yea, go ahead and save $ on the fuel...just let us know what a new engine costs down the road!

Just my opinion based upon the facts that I have..

VG

Last edited by VaGentleman; 12-02-2002 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-02-2002, 08:40 PM
silverzman

Originally posted by VaGentleman
For the 350Z, Nissan recommends at least 93 octane and thus you should use at least 93 octane fuel *in my opinion...just reading the owner's manual *.

Lower octane fuels burn faster than higher octane fuels.

If the gasoline in an engine burns (combusts) faster, i.e., prematurely (in terms of mere milliseconds), or combusts spontaneously, or too rapidly, or too violently, because of using fuel with a lower octane rating than that which is recommended by the car's manufacturer, it is inferior combustion, and makes a pinging or rattling noise from the engine, usually when accelerating. Severe pinging can quickly destroy an engine.

Chronic mild pinging can eventually result in serious damage to an engine. A sturdy engine can withstand occasional light pinging, though maybe with slightly accelerated wear on certain parts. When any pinging occurs, efficiency and power are reduced, and fuel consumption is increased. Put simply, pinging is not good.

A highly respected automobile technician who I know said "In my years as an auto mechanic I have seen several engines that were severely damaged because their owners refused to be 'ripped off' by premium gasoline. The engines pinged to death. Those consumers spent more money, and all at once, for major engine repairs, than the total additional money that they would have spent, and pennies at a time, on premium gasoline. Pinging can cause, for example, 'blown' head gaskets, damaged heads, damaged pistons, damaged cylinder bores, 'blown' engines, etc."

Yea, go ahead and save $ on the fuel...just let us know what a new engine costs down the road!

Just my opinion based upon the facts that I have..

VG
How much horsepower loss would you expect VAGentleman???
Old 12-02-2002, 08:49 PM
brew

the book says 93 octane??? Well i live in cali and there is no 93...only 91. I guess that will have to do
Old 12-03-2002, 12:08 AM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

Yeah, I'm in the People's Republic of California too; 91.
Old 12-03-2002, 03:16 AM
Phatmitzu

Not a Z yet. But I always use Chevron.
Old 12-03-2002, 04:55 AM
VaGentleman

silverzman

I haven't come across any comparative data, i.e., before pinging and after long term pinging, in terms of HP loss. But if I can save just 1 pony from leaving the barn, it will be worth it. If I come across any good data, I'll post it.

VG
Old 12-03-2002, 07:33 AM
ares
Veteran

yeahhhh save money by using regular... by regular do you mean low or medium? lets say low for arguements sake.

thats 20cents less per gallon. you get approx 22mpg, and drive 12000miles a year.

that is 546gallons of gas a year. costing you an additional 110$ a year. if you use medium then you are at 55$ a year savings. this based on the fact that your probably paying around 1.60 for gas leaving you at almost 900$ a year for gas. and you want to save 50$ over the course of a year? yes it harms your engine, yes it hurts performance(tho I cant give an exact number).

but hey, save your 50$. hope its worthwhile.
Old 12-03-2002, 07:54 AM
justwant1

Not sure it matters much, as long as you stay with 91 octane or better.

Ares...Amoco has been owned by BP for many years now, they are just getting around to changing all of their stations.
Old 12-03-2002, 08:17 AM
hokie350

Not to make this political, but I received this a while back and thought it might be sort of relevant to the conversation... at least think about it. hehe.

Information for those who may be interested:

Buying Gas
Every time you fill up the car, you can avoid putting more money into the coffers of Saudi Arabia. Just buy from gas companies that don't import their oil from the Saudis. Nothing is more frustrating than the feeling that every time I fill-up the tank, I am sending my money to people who are trying to kill me, my family, and my friends. I thought it might be interesting for you to know which oil companies are the best to buy gas from.

Major companies that import Middle Eastern oil (for the period 9/1/00 - 8/31/01).

· Shell......................... 205,742,000 barrels

· Chevron/Texaco....... 144,332,000 barrels

· Exxon/Mobil.............. 130,082,000 barrels

· Marathon.................. 117,740,000 barrels

· Amoco.................. .... 62,231,000 barrels

If you do the math at $30/barrel, these imports amount to over $18 BILLION!

Here are some large companies that do not import Middle Eastern oil:

· Citgo ................. ...0 barrels

· Sunoco ..................0 barrels

· Conoco ..................0 barrels

· Sinclair ..................0 barrels

· BP/Phillips ..............0 barrels

· Hess ......................0 barrels

All of this information is available from the Department of Energy and can be easily documented. Refineries located in the US are required to state where they get their oil and how much they are importing. They report on a monthly basis.

Keep this list in your car; share it with friends. Stop paying for terrorism.........
Old 12-03-2002, 08:34 AM
ares
Veteran

yeah I recieved that but I assume it must be wrong, now amoco is used at BP, so all of BPs gas must be from the middle east I would assume.
Old 12-03-2002, 08:36 AM
hokie350

Yeah it could be out of date or just wrong, but I had it in the archive so i thought i would pull it out for the occasion.
Old 12-03-2002, 10:25 AM
zPilott

The 76 stations in California recently stopped putting MTBE in their gasoline (the 100 octance sold at a few stations still has MTBE) and our owners manuals say that MTBE is bad, especially in high quantities. I am trying to find out about the ethanol content, but the gas may be better for us.
Old 12-03-2002, 11:18 AM
VaGentleman

Originally posted by Mysterio
Actually, the manual recommends at least 91 octane, not 93.

Just wanted to let those know who don't have 93 where they live (like me). Is there anyone out there, besides me, who actually reads their new-car manual? And don't tell me you don't read and drive; you read road signs, don't you?

Dan
My Bad

N mI dafenz, eye di d rite thaht n da midel uv da neyet.

VG
Old 12-03-2002, 12:45 PM
pooch15

Originally posted by nbdyfcnsqnc
Yeah, I'm in the People's Republic of California too; 91.
Canada 91 max too almost the same

I try to get over to New England to give my cars a little 93 octane pick me up as often as possible.

Quick Reply: GAS for the Z