Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

THE LIST an other stuff from Danville

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2002, 03:28 PM
cheap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default THE LIST an other stuff from Danville

Ahhhhhh! What a great day Sunday turned out to be! I was one of the lucky my350z.com members who lived close enough to the Z of N. Cali car show venue to attend, and boy was it an experience. My feeble attemt at sleeping saturday night was dismissed around 3 am, at which point I decided I would be better off just not sleeping at all and trying to sneak an advanced peek at the 350. So, by 4am, I was leaving my apt in Vacaville for the one hour drive to Danville.

I am proud to say I was the FIRST PERSON to arrive at the Blackhawk museum. I beat out everybody, including other Z owners, Blackhawk museum employees and even the rent-a-cop security. I came equipped with my mag-light and tape measure, and of course THE LIST, ready for biz.

Unfortunately, after peeking in all the windows to the museum at 5 am and circling the building twice, my Z was nowhere in sight. I came to find out five hours later that it was inside an enclosed room under a car cover; this really bummed me out 'cause I was hoping to at least see it arrive at the museum, if not get a little one-on-one time with the car.

Anyways, after the museum finally opened at 10, I blazed the way to the covered Z. While waiting for the museum to open, I had the chance to meet several people from the Nissan regional office in Pleasanton, CA, including a Sharon S., who is now my hookup inside NNA. She gave me her private extension # and told me to call her if I have any problems with my car or my dealership. But, I digress.

Admittedly I was severely dissapointed to see my Z under a cover upon admittance to the museum, but I could see the 17" wheels peeking at me from underneath. First off, I must say that for base wheels they look excellent. I was a tad bit afraid that seven spokes would look too cluttered, and that the wheels would look small inside the flared fenders, but all of my worries were put to rest. I believe Zbart managed to take some really good pix up close to the 17s, to include the tire - without a doubt Potenza RE-040s. The 17s really almost look bigger than they are, and I believe that is attributed to the spokes travelling all the way to the rim edge.

After some speeches and whatnot, and the (ex?)-president of ZONC passing out during Mr. K.'s speech, the cars were unveiled. My first impression was, "Wow. I scored!" As everyone's been saying, the blue was simply awesome. Many pictures were taken of the unveiling, and many more of Mr. K. inside the car and then shaking hands with future 350 owners, after which we were really allowed to get up-close and touchy-feely. Now, I had this list with me -- THE LIST -- which you can find at https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....0&pagenumber=1 . This was the list I brought with me... basically all the requests for InternetAbyss during a previous show that, due to extenuating circumstances, could not be filled.

I didn't have a camera with me, so I recruited Zbarrister, Zbart, pointfivezero, Chris from clubZ.com, and a few others to help me take pics of these neglected areas. Not all areas could be examined, due to Nissan's unwillingness to let us really tear into the cars, but I did get some good info and the others did take some good pics. We couldn't get into the hatch at all, due to the battery being disconnected, and Nissan was not allowing the hood to be opened. I even had my pops bring his golf clubs for pictures! Hopefully those guys will post their pictures soon, but since I have no control over them (yet I will post the informative stuff I learned.

The Z on hand was a base Daytona Blue 350z 'pre-production stage II' car. The front fascia has two tiny dimples where the holes are to be drilled for a front license plate or frame. The adjustable seats... on the 6-way, the six positions are fwd, back, recline fwd + back, and frontseat up/down, rearseat up/down. The 4-way adjustable does not have any up-down feature, so short ppl wanna get the 6-way. The exhaust tips are huge, I could barely fit my fist inside them, which also (not suprisingly, AFTER I thought about it) proceeded to make my hand quite dirty. The service manual is going to be all electronic. The windows are simply held snugly against the weatherstripping when the door windows use the auto up-down thing, hence not requiring movement of the windows to open the door. I was originally under the impression that the windows were gonna sit in a track when the door was closed, but that is not the case.

And finally, for now at least, I have Navi-space compartment measurements. Ready?? The empty space in the dash measures 7.75" wide x 4" tall x 3.5" deep. The usable width is actually only about 6.75-7", due to the indentation of the walls .5" or so in.

I also got to see many nice Zs, meet a bunch of cool people (including a writer for StrictlyZ magazine, who had test-driven a 350 two days prior to the show), and in general had a great time. I too purchased one of the breakaway 350z posters and had it signed by the author, Shin Yoshikawa, and Mr K., as well as Mr. K's book, which I had signed for my dad. (Hehe... we were the last of the people in line to get Mr. K to sign TWO things!)

Anyways that's it for now... had a blast, hope to do it again sometime!
Old 06-24-2002, 06:01 PM
pointfivezero
Charter Member #16

Hey Cheap, great report. I just sent your post to the printer for binding. It was nice to meet you and put a (baby) face to the handle.

Sorry to hear about your sleepless night. Last night was my turn. I went over every detail of the day, ad naseum. Finally, I got up around 4 AM and went to work.

I'm trying to learn the condition of the ZONC speaker who passed out. They drug her over behind the curtain where I was standing. She was convulsing rather violently. I overheard a doctor say it was a seizure. I hope she is okay.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:26 AM
cheap

some history for the newer 60,000 members... enjoy
Old 05-12-2006, 10:32 AM
brigz

Haha i thought i missed out on something recently
Old 05-12-2006, 02:23 PM
NissanZfan

History is right.