Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

All the Hype will be Expensive!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2002, 04:51 AM
Boomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Expensive

You guys are forgetting something. My 72 240Z was purchased form a childhood friend and he and his wife got on the list for a 240 right after they came out. The MSRP was $3526 in 1970 and they got a 72 with a mandatory air conditioner(built in the US under a subcontract with an American company). As I recall, they paid almost $5000,$3-400 for the mandatory air, to finally get the car. Why the price difference?

Nissan(Datsun) raised the MSRP! If the Z takes off like the 240 did, $2000 next year or the next may see such a raise and $2000 profit markup becomes moot. The deal is done. Economics the way they are now and the availibility of viable contenders probably wouldn't allow for much more of an increase. The 240 destroyed the competition the competition, mostly British, and the rest is history.

Boomer--just thinking
Old 06-25-2002, 06:33 AM
c350z

Sorry about the typo I meant only 30, thanks for cathing it.
Old 06-25-2002, 07:28 AM
pointfivezero
Charter Member #16

I think we all need to be prepared to set a dollar amount at which point we'd "sell out" and get back in line. Unfortunately, there is no predicting how long it may take for the price to return to MSRP.

I've certainly thought about it.

For example, when I went back to Illinois a couple of weeks ago my dealer told me there is a dentist in town that is 'chomping at the bit' to get the first Z. My dealer was allocated one preorder Z, mine.

And this is a story from the Cornbelt, the land of Buicks and Oldsmobiles. In a Nissan crazed area like San Francisco, there is no end to the possibilities.
Old 06-25-2002, 07:45 AM
ToddLuc

Originally posted by Z Dreamer
Next time someone goes to the dealership, ask if you can have the names and phone numbers for all the people that pre-ordered from that dealership, say you want to start a club or something, I bet you won't get the info...
You will never get that info from a dealer. Most people would sue the dealership that gave out their info that easily.

My dealer said he was going to call every pre-order person when every car came in, so we could drool over the new arrival. Kind of sick and great at the same time.

I think you could be right... that the dealers may have ordered some of their slots for themselves. It sounds logical, with the only exception that Nissan was only allowing individuals to purchase the pre-order. The confirmation was for an individual, not a dealership. At least, that is what I have heard.

Regards,
Todd
Old 06-25-2002, 07:53 AM
ToddLuc

I am curious...

It sounds like most here are concerned that dealerships may gouge prospective buyers after the pre-order is complete. That would be sad, but probably true.

As far as pre-orders, a contract for sale is binding. I had to pay a deposit, which gave the contract substance, because I paid for a product, or at least a portion thereof.

My dealer's comment on this gouging problem was that there will probably be dealers out there that will gouge. My dealership is part of the Autonation plan, which charges MSRP. Never above; never below. I like that.

My question here is really... did everyone that put a deposit down, actually sign a contract for what they wanted, or was this process somehow different for some people? I, to answer this question, signed a specific contract, detailing my purchase/order.

Regards,
Todd
Old 06-25-2002, 07:55 AM
ToddLuc

Originally posted by Z Dreamer
they know how to make money and follow the rules, kind of political, but it happens!
Good point.
Old 06-25-2002, 08:35 AM
Boomer

Default MSRP

I signed a contract at MSRP. Both the salesman and the new car sales manager signed off on my order to be whatever MSRP would be. I was very straight with them that I didn't expect any hidden charges of any kind unless they were in the final MSRP. My salesman ,who I have bought two cars from said very candidly that sometimes The MSRP might be finalized at a couple of hundred more than the present one. I told him that was OK, I didn't mind that if it happened.

I have the original order signed by the two Nissan employees and I have my confirmation from Nissan listing color, transmission and options. I don't think they will renege because a previous Owner/operator of thr dealership pulled so many underhanded tricks Nissan pulled their franchise. They got it back,obviously, but the dealership almost went belly up. They've worked very hard to outlive that fiasco and so far they have delivered on their obligations. I also have a very nasty attorney who would love to sue them for breach of contract.

Boomer--just get here my Z as quickly as possible, my need for gratification is tapping in my head.
Old 06-25-2002, 09:02 AM
pointfivezero
Charter Member #16

I reserved my Z last Thanksgiving with my hometown dealership. Long before we knew of any preorder process. I asked the owner (a friend of my brother) what it would take to reserve the first Z they received. He said, "a handshake".

I insisted on a deposit and they agreed to accept $2500. Here is the letter. Did anyone reserve before 1/15?
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
first z letter.bmp (240.3 KB, 72 views)
Old 06-25-2002, 10:50 AM
raceboy
Banned

I went through the official pre order process on 1/12. I tried to place a deposit previous but it wasn't accepted. Who here has the earliest "official" preorder??