Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

All the Hype will be Expensive!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2002, 08:59 PM
bighamz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the local dealers here was charge 5K over MSRP with a "no haggling" comment to boot on pre-orders. I politely smiled and walked away and went to another dealer who charged sticker.

Gouging has already started in some places.
Old 06-24-2002, 09:03 PM
infinite z

This may unfortunately happen with some dealers, but most good dealers, like mine, signed a buyer order sheet, with the purchase price listed at MSRP. It states in the fine print that only the manufacturer can change the selling price. Therefore, I am locked in at MSRP, not worried about it.
Old 06-24-2002, 09:13 PM
blackknight

Originally posted by infinite z
This may unfortunately happen with some dealers, but most good dealers, like mine, signed a buyer order sheet, with the purchase price listed at MSRP. It states in the fine print that only the manufacturer can change the selling price. Therefore, I am locked in at MSRP, not worried about it.

I'm sure that now the preoder program is over the dealers will have their way. As soon as somone backs out of their preorders and/or dealers just start getting regular shipments of the Z and the heavy promo and marketing hit the media mediums, the dealers will definitely have their way and charge whatever they want. Maybe you will have one or two out their that'll stick to MSRP, but that will be an extremely rare find. I think the hype will go down after the 1st year.

But damn, could you imagine the hype building back up again, after the Z wins the C&D 10 Best and Motortrend Car of the Year Awards......second thought, let's say the hype will die down after 2 years.
Old 06-24-2002, 09:18 PM
infinite z

Well, I guess I won't be surprised if this happens somewhere, but I'm going to stand by my dealer's customer satisfaction rating, and their word to me that they will not charge me over MSRP. If they do decide to screw me, I won't be buying. No car is even worth a penny over MSRP. I'll gladly take my money somewhere else. Maybe time to get me a used M3...god I hope not, I really want this Z!
Old 06-24-2002, 09:21 PM
blackknight

Originally posted by infinite z
Well, I guess I won't be surprised if this happens somewhere, but I'm going to stand by my dealer's customer satisfaction rating, and their word to me that they will not charge me over MSRP. If they do decide to screw me, I won't be buying. No car is even worth a penny over MSRP. I'll gladly take my money somewhere else. Maybe time to get me a used M3...god I hope not, I really want this Z!
You should be golden since you signed the buyer's agreement during the preorder!! Congrats, it's people like me that are sweating since the preorder is over.
Old 06-24-2002, 09:28 PM
infinite z

Well I hope you're right on that one, I'm not too worried. If you're looking for a reputable dealer, check out Courtesy Nissan, in Richardson, TX. From what I've been told, they flat out will NOT charge over MSRP for any car. So I expect them to still be selling Z's at MSRP even after the preorder allocation runs out. I'll keep you informed of what they end up charging me.
Old 06-24-2002, 10:03 PM
ITZBITZ

Have you guys ever been to a Nissan lot?

Have you not seen the massive inventory they carry? Do you really think that they'll get 10k over MSRP for six months? Come on, seriously.

They were selling "Car of the Year" for near-invoice to move them because they constantly have more coming.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, good for the dealer. But 3000-3500 cars a month do not get sold at $10k over MSRP. Sorry, that just doesn't work. Look at the facts. 6500 pre-orders. Delivered in two months. They announced they'll make 30,000+ of them in the first year alone. A convertible is due in a year.

Do the math, and then save your money buying at just over invoice. Seriously, there are multiple Nissan dealers in every market. You'll find the car in-stock and cheap if you want it. The economy sucks right now and people aren't buying $30,000 sports cars with two seats. They're buying big *** cars with video monitors for their kids.

The only way they'll get that kind of money is if you're crazy enough to pay it.
Old 06-24-2002, 10:03 PM
tbcz

I just can't see this happening except in a few isolated dealerships. It's dealer reputation suicide. I know that they've gouged before on the S2000, Viper and others. But was that under the same circumstances as this preorder program? Were there signed buyers agreements with clearly marked prices in these other situations? It just doesn't make sense to me. I know dealers will do just about anything for a buck...I remember standing in the showroom looking at a BMW Z8 with a $100,000 "Dealer Added Value" markup over sticker. I just can't see them pulling this with a customer who was already sold the car at MSRP. It's one thing if someone walks in off the street and asks how much for the car, and is told $5000 over MSRP. It's entirely different if someone is told the price is MSRP, signs a buyers agreement, and upon picking up their vehicle, finds the price has jumped $5000. They stand to lose too much. Pissed off customers can cost the dealer as much as he would make by selling the car out from under somebody.

And least we forget the mothership is publicly discouraging dealers from doing this. Now I'm not a dealer, but do I want an angry customer on one line, and an angry supplier on the other? Sounds to me like a good way to ruin a business...

Last edited by tbcz; 06-24-2002 at 10:07 PM.
Old 06-24-2002, 11:40 PM
Zman

When I was trying to pre-order my Z in March, I had a similar problem. My office is about 50 yards away froma Nissan dealer. I see it every day from my office window. I call them up and they had sold their 3 pre-order slots and was not too keen on talking to me any further when I called them. I called another dealer and was given the MSRP over the phone but when I got there the manager decided to raise the price by $1000 and basically rudely told me to take it or leave it. I walked away with smile and a "no thank you" and called another dealer on my way out and he guaranteed me MSRP and I drove there and sealed the deal 15 minutes later.

I think dealers should not take advantage of the situation. If I am not mistaken, I have read somewhere that it is to the advantage of the dealer to sell more cars as they will be given more numbers in future shipments.

My point is that there is always a better deal so don't give in to the shameful price gouging!

Last edited by Zman; 06-24-2002 at 11:43 PM.
Old 06-25-2002, 12:18 AM
kroams

Once the pre-orders are completed and if people are still ordering or buying 350Z's as quickly as they come in I can easily see dealerships charging a $5,000 premium. But once production completely ramps up and every dealership has several sitting on the lot I am sure the dealerships would rather sell as many as possible at MSRP or less rather than a very few at a premium. Besides you can almost always find a smaller dealership outside of a major city that will do anything for attracting city business. I think by April most people will be able to get $1,000 - $2,000 below MSRP assuming the economy stays the same.
Old 06-25-2002, 01:00 AM
c350z

I doubt any dealer will be selling Z's for $1-2K under msrp. If they are only making 30K the first year and there are 1000 nissan dealerships in North America, thats only 300 per dealer if you split it evenly. This isn't the altima where they are making 180K cars. And I do believe that dealers will honor there pre-order contracts but charge over msrp after that. I hope the market value is more makes my car more valuable
Old 06-25-2002, 01:30 AM
jrreed350togo

Pre-orders will pay the same price that was agreed upon when we signed the dotted line. If you got jacked for some extra cash during your order too bad, you should've looked for a better deal. Most of us got MSRP. I'm not too worried about that happening. I do believe once they hit the lots they'll be marked up by 2k atleast. Just be glad you pre-ordered. I'm hoping Nissan won't be stupid enough to not monitor this situation by letting dealers mark it up to ridiculous amounts. A fully loaded Touring with Tax and tags is already around 38k. I'm sure it won't be as bad as everyone thinks. Though it will make our Z's a little more precious.
Old 06-25-2002, 02:02 AM
robbyn
Charter Member #79

Originally posted by c350z
I doubt any dealer will be selling Z's for $1-2K under msrp. If they are only making 30K the first year and there are 1000 nissan dealerships in North America, thats only 300 per dealer if you split it evenly. This isn't the altima where they are making 180K cars. And I do believe that dealers will honor there pre-order contracts but charge over msrp after that. I hope the market value is more makes my car more valuable
NO. That's 30 PER DEALERSHIP. And with almost 7000 gone that's only 23 cars per dealership -- APPROXIMATELY 2 CARS PER MONTH. I think people who are thinking there is going to be major discounting are engaged in some heavy wishful thinking.
Old 06-25-2002, 02:33 AM
cheap

I agree with Robbyn. 2 cars a month is NOT a lot of cars. I do kinda like all the fuss though, because since I have mine on preorder all of this stuff is simply gonna appreciate the value of my new Z!
Old 06-25-2002, 03:00 AM
john0213

Originally posted by Z Dreamer
I would not consider that contract binding, CNN ran a story about a guy who had the same paperwork for a T-bird when it came out and after all the fuss, the dealership won, somewhere in the law it states that no deal is final until you pay all taxes AND take delivery. Good luck to everyone and please be honest after you take delivery and tell everyone what you really paid...this was a big problem on the S2K site. Some people even went so far as to take a picture of there paperwork...I saw everything from 36K to 45K for a 33K car, one guy in Manhattan paid 70K for the first S2K in NYC.
now i think the 70k story is just way off, how can u pay 70K just to get a s2k? i did think of other car, remember, there's other german car that's way better than s2k yet they are under 70k or about that price. as i can see, maybe a porsche 911?
Old 06-25-2002, 03:27 AM
3rdpower

Personally, I am hoping my dealer would not do something like back out of our MSRP agreement. Not only do I have free legal through insurance I also have the ability to smear them extremely hard. They would be extremely stupid to do something like that.

Quick Reply: All the Hype will be Expensive!