Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Just Suppose

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2002, 02:46 AM
archduke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Just Suppose

Just suppose your car comes in and someone sees it at the dealership all prepped up and ready to roll. That someone offers you $10,000 over the sticker price of the car.
What would you do knowing you would have to wait months to get a replacement?
Old 06-25-2002, 02:49 AM
dvlad

it was cash...yeah, i would. If would be a tough decision, but i'd do it. Then I would go right back in and order a the blue.
Old 06-25-2002, 02:56 AM
jeffw

Or better yet, suppose that 10K over MSRP offer is made to your dealer for YOUR car....
--
Jeff
Old 06-25-2002, 03:01 AM
intetsu
Charter Member #74

Let see...

I could use that 10K for FI, suspension and the custom car computer that I want to build...I think I could wait another six months to get all that ...along with my Z. I intend to keep this car for 10+ years....whats another 6 months?
Old 06-25-2002, 03:06 AM
rai

I'd take the money and run. Either wait six months for another Z, or perhapse take another look at the Z06. It all depends on how close the Z is to the magic 5 sec flat

Last edited by rai; 06-25-2002 at 03:09 AM.
Old 06-25-2002, 03:29 AM
Pooh2002
Charter Member #30

I think Jeffw has hit the real threat of the question. What do you think your dealer would do if offered $10K above the price of you have agreed to pay?

No one would know to contact you as the future owner. They do know how to contact the dealer.
Old 06-25-2002, 03:35 AM
Jill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, this is the major reason I plan on speaking to my dealer a lot more once the delivery date nears. I am not sure what I would do if I showed up to pick up my car and he was selling it from underneath me for 10K over what I had contracted to buy it for. Secondly, I don't know what I'd do if I spoke to my dealer in August (and for some miracle, the car was already delivered and sold) and he told me that my car would be in in September, and then I found out that I was waiting for a car that he already sold. I really honestly don't know what I would do. I think I would have my salesman fired, call NNA and ***** and complain, and freak out at whoever was around me. Uh oh, now I'm starting to think that something might happen!?!?
Old 06-25-2002, 03:44 AM
tbcz

I'd take the money, walk over to my salesman, and place an order for another, comfortable in the fact that I'd be $10,000 closer to buying it cash.
Old 06-25-2002, 03:48 AM
3rdpower

The sad part is Nissan is not confirming delivery dates. This does give the dealers the upper hand. If they wanna come back and screw the pre-orders over all they'd have to do is say..."well, the car came in a little earlier then we anticipated and it sat on the lot a little too long..." okay... that may be taking it a far stretch but dealers are tricky players. They want to get as much money as possible hence SALES period. We are about getting as much revenue as possible. More revenue equals more dollars in our pockets from all prospectives. It's all a game... the stakes are high and you have to be ready to play because I'm forewarning you all - dealers are already putting together their game plan. Just ask as many questions as possible - get transcripts of what they write you either in email or writing. Keep all your pieces lined up and play hard ball. This is sales baby.

As a side note... NO one will get their hands on those pre-order lists. My dealer won't even confirm what number I am at. They are all about controlling the sales cycle. If someone offered someone $10,000 you can guarantee the dealer would tell you $5,000 hehe
Old 06-25-2002, 04:21 AM
Pooh2002
Charter Member #30

Z Girl,

Didn't mean to scare you. I think your approach is the correct one. Make sure your dealer knows who you are and that you will be there as soon as the car is ready. He does make about $3K on your deal and has had to do almost nothing. He will chose the easiest way to handle the situation that still makes him $$. He will be sorely tempted whenever he gets offers, but knowing that dealing with you will be smooth, quick, and help pay his bills should protect you.

But keep good records. Judges will look at your well documented records of all the communications you had with this dealer and then ask the dealer why he thought you weren't interested in completing your part of the bargain.
Old 06-25-2002, 04:49 AM
TCL

Default Re: Just Suppose

Originally posted by archduke
Just suppose your car comes in and someone sees it at the dealership all prepped up and ready to roll. That someone offers you $10,000 over the sticker price of the car.
What would you do knowing you would have to wait months to get a replacement?
Not sure why you asked the question but I would take delivery of the car and have no second thoughts about it. For me it's about passion for the car, not about making a quick buck.
Old 06-25-2002, 05:04 AM
cheap

I hate to say it, but $10k is a lot of dough. I'd be willing to wait an additional 4-6 months for 1/3 off the msrp, which is basically what would be happening. OR, if I was really smart, I'd take the $10k and invest it, and not buy the Z at all... but who says being smart is fun?
Attached Images  
Old 06-25-2002, 07:49 AM
Zspot

Everything I've seen says Nissan will be sending out VIN numbers soon. That makes me feel a little better about things. It will be hard for dealers to "pull a fast one" and sell someone else your car that Nissan NA sent you the VIN # on.
Old 06-25-2002, 08:06 AM
BILZ Z

Question Zspot

Where and from whom did you hear that NNA would be sending out VIN #'s. If it's true, would they not go to the dealers or maybe their "surprise" would be to supply us, me, with our #. Of course, mine will be VIN 000000350.
Old 06-25-2002, 08:15 AM
LordBiO

I would sell mine for $10,000...I actually put down a deposit for two cars, in hopes that I will be able to sell one of them in November/December when there are none available and there is a really high demand for them. Not many people know about the Z, so we are the lucky few so I thought why not take a chance and see if I can make a little money and put it towards paying off my own Z. I need to put like $5,000 - $10,000 down to help bring down the monthly payments and make it affordable for me on a monthly basis.

Quick Reply: Just Suppose