Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

TPS system from stock to Aftermarket- Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 10:34 AM
lascala26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPS system from stock to Aftermarket- Help!

Not sure if this should be in the wheel section, but I need an answer fast. I bought 19" AXIS Hiros with Toyo TS-1 tires. I've called three places asking them to remove my stock tires and mount my new wheels and tires with the TPS sensor. Nobody will touch it saying there is no place to mount the TPS on my aftermarket wheels. Has anybody out there had a problem doing this? What are the soloutions?

Thanks for any responses.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:58 PM
Low J.
Banned

shouldn't be a problem at all......I took mine to the Nissan dealer and they charged me about $65 to take off my stock wheels, remove the TPS, put them on the new wheels, and mount/balance the new rubber......no sweat. I'm pretty sure that the way the TPS mounts inside the tire it doesn't matter much what rim you get it should mount the same way inside of anything.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:10 PM
lascala26

Thanks! Something tells me my Nissan dealership will want to charge more than $65 if they decide to do it at all.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:15 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

It's not always that simple. Depending on the wheels you're going with you may not be able to mount the TPS exactly like the stock wheels. It all depends on where the valve stem hole is located and which direction it's in. There can also be clearance issue with lower profile tires.

The solution for some people is to mount the TPS sensor on steel bands that wrap around the base of the wheel. Do a search as there have been a couple of threads detailing the process. That also requires you to find a shop that will let you assist in the process because you're going to have to get the sensors out of the old wheels, fabricate the band and sensor assembly then get the shop to mount the bands on the new wheels.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:07 PM
1G-350Z

DaveZ#3 is right; "It's not always that simple" A good tire and aftermarket rim place can handle it... I'm not familiar with the Hiro's, I have a set of the Volk SF Winnings. My shop "Just Tires" In LI, NY had trouble banding my Volks, and replacing the stock valve stem was not an option (the valve stem would be behind the spokes/would look like ****). I had a second valve stem put on the opposite inside lip... You can only see it if you were looking for it. Some times at shows people ask me if I kept my TPS and how did I mount it, I then point out the tiny valve stem on the inside lip.

I feel this is a little safer than banding...
Old 06-27-2005, 10:46 PM
Janus

IIRC, the TPS sensor is at the base of one end of the the valve stem. On the stock rims, it sits just inside the tire.

Some rims have the valve stem at an extreme angle to a point where the box (tps sensor) at the bottom can't conform too.

Others, it fits fine.

One of the solutions (you can search on this board for the actual thread) was to take some cheap 'ol parts from home depot and rig a band that wraps around the center of the rim and secures the tps sensor to the center of the inside. I know my description sounds confusing, but if you find that thread (its at least a year old) it has some excellent pictures showing each step and piece.