Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Convince parents to get a manual instead of auto

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 11:19 AM
inertiatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convince parents to get a manual instead of auto

Here's the thing, my parents agreed to help me buy a 350z, but since they are putting more than 1/2 the amount of money in the car, they said I would HAVE to get an automatic. Is there any way to convince them to get me a manual.

I currently have an old automatic celica and automatics just takes the fun outta driving a car, especially a 350z.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:33 AM
visionboy

Tell them manual cars a slightly cheaper and also give better gas mileage.
Promise them you wont do burnouts and you wont rev your engine at every stoplight trying o race other people. It may be tough to convince them if they only drive automatics..maybe they also want to use your car sometimes?
Old 07-09-2005, 12:00 PM
inertiatic

My dad knows how to drive a manual but just doesn't want to, he currently has an auto. and in the 3 years I had my celica, my mom has never driven it. She has her own SUV and refuses to drive sports cars. I have been wanting a 350 ever since it came out but having to get it in automatic=
Old 07-09-2005, 12:07 PM
Zcarboy

Do you know how to drive the manual? Maybe that why they are worried?
Old 07-09-2005, 12:10 PM
inertiatic

Um yes, doesn't take more than a day or two to get the hang of it. Their main concern is that in case my mom or someone else in my family might have to drive it. They also think automatics are safer and that I won't get annoyed in traffic.

Some people act as if driving a manual is like trying to pilot a F-16 jet.

Last edited by inertiatic; 07-09-2005 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:12 PM
TK2005

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by visionboy
Promise them you wont do burnouts and you wont rev your engine at every stoplight trying o race other people. It may be tough to convince them if they only drive automatics..maybe they also want to use your car sometimes?
Don't even mention the words burnout or race within 100ft of your parents. The gas mileage thing is good. You can tell them that autos are more problematic than the manuals. Tell them that being auto hurts the resale value because most people are looking for manuals.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:13 PM
AdrenalineFX51

Dont be fooled! They want it to be an automatic so THEY can drive it too!
Old 07-09-2005, 01:34 PM
FormulaRX

here's a thought...how about waiting a few years until you can buy the Z completely by yourself without the need for help from the parents...that way you can buy whatever you want and no one will have a say. As much as you want the car now, if you have to settle for the auto and since you don't like it in the first place, then don't even get the car at all until it's the one you really want. There's no fun in owning a car of this level if you will have regrets after you get it. A person should be happy upon purchase of this car but if you look at it everyday and say to yourself "man I should have gotten the stick" then it's not worth having. Either get the Z in stick, or don't get the car at all otherwise in your eyes it will be a $30K mistake. NO CAR should ever make you have to settle for anything (auto tranny) no matter how much you want it. Either do it right or don't do it at all. Unless you only have one leg and one arm, you have NO excuse not the get the stick as the stick will obviously be more fun especially in a car of this level. Good luck with the purchase and remember, don't settle for what you don't want.

Last edited by FormulaRX; 07-09-2005 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:49 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry, but if daddy is buying the car, it's daddy's rules.

Being a kid sucks, don't it? Well it was the same way when I was younger, I got the car(s) my dad wanted, not the car(s) I wanted.

Just know that the AT in this car is a very good AT...at least that's what I've read.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:55 PM
maxipad96

If you plan on driving this car a little while and even the slightest possibility of sitting in traffic is in your future, you will thank your parents for making you get an automatic. The tip-tronic is great and i can bump it over to auto whenever im in standstill traffic. The response is not hindered a bit with the auto.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:28 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TK2005
You can tell them that autos are more problematic than the manuals.
My auto Z never made horrible grinding noises when it shifted into third, my 6MT G35 does.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:00 PM
boma

Tell them that you're dead set on a Manual 350Z, and that you won't get a car until they allow you to get manual.

Never Settle For Less.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:23 PM
dashboard

tell them manual is safer to drive than auto coz u pay more attention in driving, right hand for gear shift, left hand for wheels, left foot for clutch and no room for eating, putting make up (for the girls),phone calling, dangling arm outside the window while driving that causes accident....
Old 07-09-2005, 03:28 PM
B-Unit

Originally Posted by visionboy

Do you even have a Z. Cuz im debating whether or not you do cuz almost everyone on this forum knows that they charge 2k more for the manuals in the Z. YOUR ARGUMENT FOR THIS SUCKS!

Second, i guarentee this kid doesnt know how to drive a manual, he may know the logistics of it, but hasnt ever done it. I can just tell from his posts.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:29 PM
B-Unit

PS: why dont you stop biatching and say, you guys can pay for the whole thing and get me an auto, but if im paying half, i want the manual and dont settle for less.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:37 PM
Kaitain

I would say if you have to have your parents buy you a car then you should have an automatic, and training wheels.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:45 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

I'm sorry, but that's just child abuse to spend so much money and get something so close to what you want, yet so different.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:51 PM
Camel

If someone wanted to give me $15,000 towards the Z I'd have gotten the auto if they wanted me to. Be happy they are helping you. Many of us are responsible for buying our own things.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:55 PM
inertiatic

Thumbs up

nevermind, NOW my parents find out that the base model only come in manual and they finally agreed to let me get it.(thank god base only comes in manual)
Less money for them to spend and i got what i wanted.

Now i'm as happy as that guy in the other post who is excited and can't hide it and doesn't make any sense.

And BTW, i did learn how to drive the manual becuase i wouldn't want to learn it on a Z. Just confirms my other post that some people think you have to be a genius to drive a manual.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:58 PM
TK2005

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hraesvelg
My auto Z never made horrible grinding noises when it shifted into third, my 6MT G35 does.
I didn't say tell them the truth. I just told him to tell his parents that to help his argument.

Quick Reply: Convince parents to get a manual instead of auto