Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Before you bought your Z...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 11:15 PM
pacfwu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was gonna buy an Evo but I already have an AWD turbo talon in my garage that I'd had for 5 years, so I thought "hey, I've pretty much already got one. Yeah the handling isn't quite as good as an Evo and it's a bit longer wheelbase (I think) and a coupe instead of sedan, but it's pretty close to what I have"

I didn't need the extra seating and was tired of awd gas mileage and since I'd never had a RWD the first car that came to mind was the Z. I loved 'em when they first came out, they are relatively rare on the streets here, and as an added bonus, cheaper than an Evo.

Oddly enough, I had a buddy was gonna get a Z and he ended up buying the Evo I was gonna go test drive and I bought the Z he was gonna get (this was my '04 SB that I ended up trading in for my current UY). Once we each got the cars broken in, we swapped and while the Evo was great, it just didn't feel as fun as the Z. And now every time I see him, he tells me he wishes he woulda bought a Z.

Everyone where I live has an Evo so he just blends right in and he said that his car never really seemed that much fun to drive after he drove mine.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:42 AM
samw1978

G35c and STi
Old 07-12-2005, 05:18 AM
nlsqba

My other options were:
- Evo
- s2k
Old 07-12-2005, 05:28 AM
Bran_BranZ33

test drove S2K, STI, Accord, 330ci(loved it but i already have a bimmer).
Old 07-12-2005, 05:30 AM
Zcarboy

I was checking out a Crossfire, RX-8, Audi TT, before getting the Z. The only one I was really close to getting was the Crossfire, before the Z won my heart.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:32 AM
amallari

Supra 95-98
S2000 02-03
Old 07-12-2005, 07:17 AM
Bran_BranZ33

i forgot to add the Acura TL and TSX, ( i hate torque steer)
Old 07-12-2005, 07:20 AM
woj666

I didn't seriously consider anything else. Once the 35th was announced, that was it. Having had (with my dad) a 260z, two 280zx's, two first generation 300zx's and a second generation 300zx there was really no choice.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:25 AM
Sisko99

I went in stages:

1st Stage: Saab 9-5 Aero - Turbo Charged and pretty quick frome everything I'd seen. Coming off a Turbocharged Volvo, I wasn't looking to go N/A.

2nd Stage: Acura RSX - I got over the Turbo thing because I couldn't really afford a Saab at the time. However, the more I learned about the capabilities and specs of the base RSX....the less I liked it. I don't do FWD cars....so that pretty much sealed the deal.

3rd Stage: 350Z - The first time I ever saw one, I remember not liking it so much. Couldn't tell you why...though maybe it was my Father's anti-Japanese bias showing through a little. But while I was sifting through ClubRSX.com one day, I saw that one of the posters on there had a 350 in his sig. To this day I'm not sure why I started looking into it....but once I saw the power numbers on the stock 350, I was hooked. And once I test drove one....that was all she wrote. I took 5 seperate test drives before I was finally able to get mine. I suppose you might say that they were more along the lines of a fix than a test drive. I have no regrets on my purchase....though every few days I fume a little at the previous owner when I find some other little cosmetic thing that I need to have taken care of. Anyway, I plan on keeping this car for a long time....so one of these days she'll be perfect.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:29 AM
SkiTTlez

s2k and wrx sti and rx8...
Old 07-12-2005, 08:35 AM
Z Rider

Started off looking / test drivign the Mazda RX- 8 , porsche boxter, Honda s2000.........
Then there was the Z.......... and thats about all she wrote
Old 07-12-2005, 08:48 AM
ZJOHNZ

BMW Z-4 - cool car but like the Z better for the price.

Chrysler Crossfire - liked the Mercedes suspension and powertrain, but too cramped inside, ZERO rear visability, and rear storage that won't carry more than a 12-pack!
Old 07-12-2005, 09:05 AM
Qbrozen

My shopping was pretty similar to Sisko99.

I started out thinking I would replace my Volvo, so tried out the A6 (used), Mazda6, Saab 9-3 and 9-5, S60 2.5T, S80 T6, E320 .... by about that time I realized that there was nothing that could drag me out of my S70 .... so then we decided to keep my Volvo, retire it to beater status, and get rid of our beater (190E) and replace it with something less practical.

On the used market it was Boxster, Audi TT, Z28 convertible, S2K, and C5. On the new side, it was Accord 6-speed coupe. Z28 was WAY too low-rent. C5 ... well, it was older than all the others and i just have this mental block against vettes that I couldn't get over. I couldn't fit comfortably in the Porsche, Audi, or S2K. That left me between the Accord and Z. The accord was quieter, smoother, has better resale, better poor-weather drivability, and slightly lower insurance .... but it just came down to smile factor. I couldn't deny that, regardless of all the practical reasons to buy the Accord, it did not excite me as much as the Z.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:06 AM
Vertex350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nismo33
g35, rx8, a4, 3 series
+1
Old 07-12-2005, 09:07 AM
ZlleH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw the 350Z 2 years ago and started saving up right away

But when the time came, I got nervous because the winter here is very harsh and last for 5 to 6 months. I found it too difficult to ruin a sports car in the winter so I was looking more of a sedan...

2001+ A4 (saw an A4 that had a body kit and it looked totally different and exotic, big head turner) but I was warned of the wieght and gas consumption of an AWD.

G35 (liked the look and I would feel more comfortable driving it in the winter then the 350Z)

I then looked at the 330ci BMW (always wanted to have a bimmer) So I was about to go test drive it.

On the way to test drive the 330ci, I drove by an import dealer that had a lemans sunset 350Z on the lot. Well, as you can guess, I never made it to 330ci test drive.

I decided to keep my 2000 jetta for a winter car and I bought the 350Z 4 days later.

If I could afford to sell the jetta, my baby would have a super charger in it already
Old 07-12-2005, 09:13 AM
s3fddiZ

Acura RSX Type S - didnt like the color options
Ford Mustang GT - very powerful, but didnt want a common car
Suburu STI - didn't like the pink decals and dealer wouldn't let me test drive it
Mitsubishi Evo - powerful, but realized i didnt want a 4 door sports car
Mazda RX-8 - felt heavy and slow to me
Honda S2000 - way too small. Plus if you like fat chicks, this isnt the car for you. The load capacity is horrible.
Nissan Frontier Nismo - thought about getting a boat and needed a truck to tow it. Then i realized the boat i wanted was way to expensive (Mastercraft X-Series).
Old 07-12-2005, 09:22 AM
PDX_Racer

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Other cars (and previous cars)

Other cars that I considered: M3, RX-8, Evo, S2000, new Mustang GT
Previous cars: Spec V, Intrepid

I like the idea of the M3, but my wife isn't very comfortable in them so that didn't get a whole lot of consideration.

I love the sound of a rotary at high RPMs (my Formula Mazda background showing here), but after the fiasco with the engine specs on the RX-8 and the problem reports, that moved it down in the "desirability" quite a bit.

The Evo was actually pretty high on my list until the warranty issues with "competition use." The fact that DC dropped financial support also dropped them from my list.

The S2000 was also high on my list, although I don't necessarily like the "long hood" look, plus convertables and rain don't necessarily mix well. The 2004 had the slightly bigger engine with lower redline, but the S2K is an extremely "nervous" car on an autocross course without making suspension upgrades. The 2004 and later are supposed to be less nervous, but the suspension upgrades are also causing other, more significant, problems.

I saw some pictures of the new Mustang GT, and liked what I saw, but it would be a first-year car, with unknown problems. Love the sound of a V8, but my family has had a history of problems with Ford vehicles (of course, it could be because they beat the crap out of them!).

My previous car was a Spec V, and while there were some problems with first-year (and second-year) cars, I was addicted to the amount of torque delivered to the ground. After installing the Koni Sports and Nismo FSB, the car was incredibly fast and stable on an autocross course -- as long as I didn't need 3rd gear. However, showing up with the entire family in the car, unloading it, putting DOT-R tires on, kicking major butt, and then loading the family back into the car did have it's advantages.

However, the wife said I could get a two-seater. I wanted to be a little different, plus I've wanted a Z for decades. The dealer that I've purchased our Pathfinder and Spec V through has treated us extremely well (Tonkin Nissan), and so I ordered my Z through them as well.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:10 AM
LSUturbotiger

I considered this purchase for at least 6 months and it was down to:

BMW M3 - nice, but expensive and they are changing in 06. I did not want to pay that much for a car that was about to be restyled.

Infiniti G35 - nice car, but I wanted to buy a car and keep it 6-10 years. I felt like in the long run the 350Z would look less dated than the G35. the 350Z has a classic Z car look that will always look like a Z.

BMW 3 series - nice cars but I just did not want a sedan.

Acura TL - nice car but again, its a sedan.

VW Jetta - thought about the cheap route with this one.

All in all I told myself not to just look at the Z, but in the end the same things that made me purchase my 3 previous Z's won over and I bought the 350. But at least I looked around first.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:20 AM
BigMike

I wasn't in the market for a real sports car. I test drove a Mazda 6 because I got a $25 AmExp gift card for doing so. I wanted to test drive an RX8 that day but the guy knew I wasn't going to buy and it was a Saturday and they were busy. Asked me to come back another time. I told him I'd never be back if that was the case.

Then I test drove a Honda Accord Coupe V6. Wife thought it was a car for a younger man (I'm 42). So I went to test drive a Maxima SE 6-speed. When we pulled on to the Nissan lot I saw all of the Z's lined up. My wife suggested we test drive the Z. I wanted a touring because of the leather but the salesman actually convinced me what a deal the Enthusiast is so I decided on that. I didn't buy it there though but dogged the crap out of their car during the test drive.

I thought about an S2000 but I'm 6'1" - 215lbs. That car isn't designed for a man LOLOL.

I was also seriously considering an 03 or 04 Z06 but my wife hates vettes.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:32 AM
MIAPLAYA

Test drove a RX-8 and EVo....not impressed with Rx-8s power. Evo was too.....I don't know grocery getter for me. I had a Spec V before and got tired of hearing if I could pick up the beer, little sister, laundry, etc on the way to Qualcomm....

Quick Reply: Before you bought your Z...