540/M5
e55/e500 sport
Audi rsr
AMG c32
etc
Old 12-08-2002, 07:46 PM
Ohio350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could make the Z lighter, but then the frame wouldn't be as stiff. Also, if you are planning a few mods to boost (literally) the hp, the car will be able to take the power without affecting the feel. Also you could make it lighter and it wouldn't hold up as well in a crash. There were pics of a Sunset Z that got into a bad accident and the passanger compartment remained intact. If you read about how the engineers designed the car, you will see that the weight is not an issue.
Old 12-08-2002, 08:54 PM
steve c

You could make the Z lighter, but then the frame wouldn't be as stiff.
Not true. You can take weight out of many areas, the "frame" being just one.
Also, if you are planning a few mods to boost (literally) the hp, the car will be able to take the power without affecting the feel.
I'm not sure what that means.
Also you could make it lighter and it wouldn't hold up as well in a crash.
Again, not so, there are many lighter vehicles which do just fine in crash tests.
If you read about how the engineers designed the car, you will see that the weight is not an issue.
Weight is ALWAYS an issue. The more you have (generally) the less responsive the car becomes in terms of handling, the more tire you need and the more brakes you chew through....
Old 12-08-2002, 09:04 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

forget crash tests, they arent real life situations. how often do you run into a wall at 45mph. tell you what, you drive in a civic(5 star crash rating) and Ill run into you head on with a last gen dodge ram(poor crash rating) we'll see if you or me walks away from it.
Old 12-08-2002, 09:17 PM
Boomer

Default REPRISE

Originally posted by frayed
I just read your whole post, the Boomer automotive diary. Quite impressive.

But, you seemed to leave out the part about driving on the track. You know, a road course. like the famed Laguna Seca you reference. Where you can safely explore the limits of your Z, and determine whether the Z is or is not FAT. On the track, particularly with sticky tires, weight tends to bear its ugly head. While on the interstate at 80 mph with a latte in your cupholder, the hefty sprung weight makes travel uneventful.

So, what do you say, old boy? It's never too late to try your hand, even if somewhat unsteady.

As for bimmers, I have 200,000 miles behind the wheel of various bimmers. Never once stranded, towed, or otherwise had any sort of harrowing issues. Perhaps you are hexed.

I had worse luck with my last car, a Honda S2000.
Actually, I had already decided to take a high performance driving course after I got the Z. I have no problem with learning new tricks. People who don't learn something new on a regular basis tend to not live out their life expectancy. I've got about 20+ years to learn new things and, steady or not, high performance driving is a new item on my agenda.

Oh, BTW, I was at Hallet, you know Toly Aruntoff's raceway in NE Okla, when Paul Newman was driving his Z on the way to his National SCCA Championship at age 65. He won the race and nearly lapped the entire class doing it. You're never too old or unsteady to give a good account of yourself when you want it. If I want it, I'll get it.

You have had marvelous luck with your bmws, my 78 vapor-locked in Colorado in 1980 at 8000 ft with a string of cars behind me. Fortunately, I had a runoff area or it could have been nasty and my wife and 8 year old son were with me, also. I was still fond of the bmws and really wanted a new M3 until I began reading more and more german car problems and my sister-in-law's 740 problems in a $70,000 car.

Audi, Mercedes, VWs and now bmws are innovative and zesty until something breaks and breakages seem more prevalent than ever before. It is ironic that I spurned bmw again and bought a Z instead and I couldn't be happier, which begs the question, Why are you here?

Slumming? Trolling for fish or feelings of superiority vs. the new kid in town? Is this Tombstone or Dodge City or do you need to insult someone only in cyberspace to feel safe enough to do it? Its a poor way to resolve inadequacies you may be feeling. Its like a drug, it seems, for people to search for someone weaker, with a less than perfect command of the English language, to attempt to bully or put down their dreams. I've seen it too many times to not despise someone who would do that with deliberate intent. I would suggest you peddle your agenda elsewhere, like a skinhead convention or some other venue which would suit you better, little boy.

Boomer--Troll alert.
Old 12-08-2002, 09:49 PM
djbit

Default That was masterful Boomer.

I onw a 328I 1997 BMW......it breaks alot and I don't feel that much safer in it either. I love this car and could make it lighter if I get my fat a$$ to the gym more often. After my Z, maybe the skyline......yummy.
Old 12-09-2002, 04:32 AM
ZLuvr

newbie chimming in.

In the last C&D article, they listed the touring Z at 3356lbs(i think). That is way to heavy in my book. heck, the m3 weighs 3415 lbs and alot of BMW fanatics refuse to buy it due to the weight.

I would be willing to put up with 3200 lbs in a 290 hp car. But, 3350 is way too much.
Old 12-09-2002, 04:58 AM
frayed

Oh jesus christ, sing me a song. Boomer, WTF are you talking about?

Let me replay. Several posts ago you articulate why you think the Z06 is a piece of **** and articulate what you want in a car.

I suggest you consider BMW's lineup.

You slam them, largely based on aged data, though the Nikasil problem in early M60 V8's was a huge blunder. In any event, you proceed to give me the Boomer diary for some unknown reason. The only reason I can come up with is a need to 'put me in my place' by emphasizing your long history as an enthusiast, which includes seat time in various bmws. No sweat, whatever.

Your entire post goes completely astray of the topic at hand, and I remind you that it has nothing to do with how FAT the Z is.

If you are truly as irritated as your post makes you sound, and if you have taken my posts as a salty insult, then I suggest you look into meds, old boy. (the 'old boy' comments come only after you threw them my way, deal with it)

I'm not here to **** on anyone's dreams. But, when you sarcastically label me as 'old boy', you should be prepared to catch a little **** in return. After all, you have no idea who I am, or my age. You brought this discussion to a personal level responsive to my bmw suggestion, and I have largely refused to play.

-------------------

In any event, when you finally get around to venturing out on the track with your Z (which contradicts your prior statement " love to watch road racing but I have no desire to put my daily driver in jeopardy by running into a wall or a tire barrier that will leave me with a piece of junk."), you then be able to fully assess how big of an impact weight makes on handling.

I emphasize track driving b/c its the only safe venue in which you can get close to the limits of a modern sports car, on modern rubber, consistently.
Old 12-09-2002, 06:35 AM
Thunderbolt
Charter Member #88

This thread is a laugh! In all the times I have been a member of this site I have seen only one 350Z set up for racing. And it was in Australia. I have yet to see any of the trolls show us their ?race? cars. How can people act like like such hot shot racers yet are driving bone stock cars? Quit slamming each others brand of car just because in its stock form it does not seem idea to you. If you like the car you have but don't like the way it handles fix it! If you think your car is too heavy for the track lighten it. I really doubt many people who have written in this thread have any idea how to set a car suspension up for the track they are racing on. Putting wider tires on the front will not correct a push if you are not using the entire tire in a turn. Does anybody here know how to tell if you are using all of you tire in a turn? Do you know how to read your tires to tell just how loose or tight your car is on the track? Driver skill and weight are just two of the parts to a much larger equation. If I was going to race my Z (and I am not) the first thing I would do is find my front and rear roll centers and start from there. Does anybody know the roll centers of their M3? Z06? Does anybody know what a roll center is and hoe it affects the handling of a car? Lets talk serious here for awhile then we will get back to bashing each other with the knowledge and respect that is needed.

Last edited by Thunderbolt; 12-09-2002 at 06:49 AM.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:02 AM
Jill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Thunderbolt
Lets talk serious here for awhile then we will get back to bashing each other with the knowledge and respect that is needed.
Guys-
Please fight nicely. We're all here because we're (a) enthusiasts (b) owners or (c) trolls. I'm hoping that none of us are here for reason (c) but, please, no need to revert to name calling. Opinions are just that, no need to fight over how you feel about something, although it is done every day, it's not necessary nor does it prove a point. Let's get back on topic, and have a good, meaningful debate.

-Jill
Old 12-09-2002, 07:21 AM
Boomer

Default not

Originally posted by frayed
Oh jesus christ, sing me a song. Boomer, WTF are you talking about?

Let me replay. Several posts ago you articulate why you think the Z06 is a piece of **** and articulate what you want in a car.

I suggest you consider BMW's lineup.

You slam them, largely based on aged data, though the Nikasil problem in early M60 V8's was a huge blunder. In any event, you proceed to give me the Boomer diary for some unknown reason. The only reason I can come up with is a need to 'put me in my place' by emphasizing your long history as an enthusiast, which includes seat time in various bmws. No sweat, whatever.

Your entire post goes completely astray of the topic at hand, and I remind you that it has nothing to do with how FAT the Z is.

If you are truly as irritated as your post makes you sound, and if you have taken my posts as a salty insult, then I suggest you look into meds, old boy. (the 'old boy' comments come only after you threw them my way, deal with it)

I'm not here to **** on anyone's dreams. But, when you sarcastically label me as 'old boy', you should be prepared to catch a little **** in return. After all, you have no idea who I am, or my age. You brought this discussion to a personal level responsive to my bmw suggestion, and I have largely refused to play.

-------------------

In any event, when you finally get around to venturing out on the track with your Z (which contradicts your prior statement " love to watch road racing but I have no desire to put my daily driver in jeopardy by running into a wall or a tire barrier that will leave me with a piece of junk."), you then be able to fully assess how big of an impact weight makes on handling.

I emphasize track driving b/c its the only safe venue in which you can get close to the limits of a modern sports car, on modern rubber, consistently.
Your last paragraph is the only thing I agree with you about. My other comments were and are an attempt to understand your arrogance about the fact you own a BMW. Your comments are of the car vs. car variety and should be tempered by the fact this is a Nissan 350Z site, privately owned and you are not constructive in any way I've observed.

If you wish to contribute to this site about the 350Z, kindly do it in a manner that does not attempt to create a hostile envirnment for fans and owners. If you can do that, I would welcome your comments and so would others on this site. You are not free to say anything you like to anyone on this venue, it is privately owned and you can be banned from the site and the domain. I know the Owner and the Moderators would prefer not to ban anyone, but they have re-affirmed their intention to rid the website of Trolls who ruin the experience of owning a 350Z by individuals who intrude and insult owners, no matter how veiled the hostility is presented. Your hostility is not welcome and neither are you if you continue to express yourself in the way you have before.

Yeah, I took offense from your asinine and juvenile remarks about your vast racing experience and your putdown of me and the Z, plus your remarks about my age and abilities; not to mention your arrogant suggestion that I should buy a used Bmw Sedan.

I also did not call the ZO6 a piece of ****(lie) and you implied, broadly I might add, that I wouldn't know anything about Sports Cars, hence the history lesson. Whats the matter, does your memory fail you? I suggest you read your earlier remarks again and do try to read for Content and you may discover you really did insult me, the 350Z, its owners and this website dedicated to admirers of the Z.

You are obviously not in tune with our company and I think you should take your uninformed and hostile remarks about the Z elsewhere. And to conclude, no person on this site needs your opinions about what it takes to be a Sports Car owner and we have more than a few racers in our company, why don't you find yours?
Old 12-09-2002, 07:41 AM
Boomer

Originally posted by ZLuvr
newbie chimming in.

In the last C&D article, they listed the touring Z at 3356lbs(i think). That is way to heavy in my book. heck, the m3 weighs 3415 lbs and alot of BMW fanatics refuse to buy it due to the weight.

I would be willing to put up with 3200 lbs in a 290 hp car. But, 3350 is way too much.
Why not buy a base, then? It should weigh close to your 3200lbs mark. As far as chiming in, whose side are you on? The 350Z lovers or the bmw trolls? In reference to C&D, was it with or without driver? It does make a difference, you must know.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:52 AM
Boomer

Default Re: That was masterful Boomer.

Originally posted by djbit
I onw a 328I 1997 BMW......it breaks alot and I don't feel that much safer in it either. I love this car and could make it lighter if I get my fat a$$ to the gym more often. After my Z, maybe the skyline......yummy.
Yeah, me too. My roadhugging weight has gotten out of control, if I lost about 50lbs, I could probably increase my top speed by 20mph.

Boomer
Old 12-09-2002, 08:02 AM
rahilio

thanks to mr steve c and mr fartquad or whatever his name is, this argument has turned into a blood fest.

both of you are talking about 50k plus cars (m3-z06) your basically paying 20k + more than the z it better be lighter and or have more horsepower for that extra kind of money. you pay for what you get. and im happy with my z for the price with the extra 20k im sure i can make it better faster and lighter if i wanted to. but please come back to planet earth guys. you have your heads so far up your **** with your cars. i would too if i had that kinda of money.

Last edited by rahilio; 12-09-2002 at 08:07 AM.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:02 AM
Boomer

Originally posted by LS350Z
Corvette's have a 5.7L V8 motor and weigh less then the a 350Z. That's just one vehicle I can think of off the top of my sick as a dog head.

Anyway, given the size of the Z, it's probably about right for weight. The older Honda Preludes weighed right around 2900-3000lbs and were about the same size but with a 2.2L I4 FWD.

I guess I could argue either way but in all honesty the 350Z feels lighter then it's 3200lbs IMHO. Sure it isn't tossable like my ITB Rabbit but it's a lot more tossable of a car then similar sized cars.
I agree, the Z is more manuverable than its weight might suggest, but, in all fairness, my sister-in-law's 740iL drives a lot smaller than most 120" wheelbases and 4200lb(factory est.) cars.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:41 AM
Boomer

Default again and done

Originally posted by rahilio
thanks to mr steve c and mr fartquad or whatever his name is, this argument has turned into a blood fest.

both of you are talking about 50k plus cars (m3-z06) your basically paying 20k + more than the z it better be lighter and or have more horsepower for that extra kind of money. you pay for what you get. and im happy with my z for the price with the extra 20k im sure i can make it better faster and lighter if i wanted to. but please come back to planet earth guys. you have your heads so far up your **** with your cars. i would too if i had that kinda of money.
Thank you for putting this thread in the correct context, rahilio. Its refreshing when a few well chosen words can tip the balance to its rightful place. Wonderful.

Boomer--hasta luego, pendehos.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:32 AM
alexf20c

the z is heavier than my car, but it's no s500... (read: not heavy)
Old 12-09-2002, 09:38 AM
rahilio

thanks, for 20k i can feed my wife and kids and put a roof over there heads for 1 year i dont know what the big deal is on weight anyways. if it was a big deal this is what i would do. pay attention steve ima teach you some new weight reduction techniques.
[list=1][*]Jenny Craig Diet = loose 75 lbs = cost 79.00[*]Take Some Ex-lax Extra Strength the day before the big race = loose 2.5 lbs = cost 2.99 (walmart special)[*]Drive Butt Naked = loose 4 lbs = cost priceless[*]Drive on an Empty tank of Gas and Have some Midgets push the Car = loose 150 lbs = cost 30.00 per hour[*]Empty the Window Washer Liquid = loose 8lbs = cost free[/list=1]

there you go guys some new ways to cut down the weight. see you at the race track
Old 12-09-2002, 10:15 AM
steve c

Of course you could just buy a 01 Z06 for about the same price as the 350, still with a great warranty and call it a day.

Who turned this thread into a that car versus this car debate? I know it was not me. Dispense with your insecurities, stop calling people names and debate like an adult.
Old 12-09-2002, 11:21 AM
rahilio

Of course you could just buy a 01 Z06 for about the same price as the 350, still with a great warranty and call it a day.
Haha good one basically you got nothing else to say. but no thanks.

Who turned this thread into a that car versus this car debate? I know it was not me. Dispense with your insecurities, stop calling people names and debate like an adult.
you did. its pretty obvious you own a corvette. this thread is about if the z i heavy. it is, but who cares. no matter what you own there will be always something better lighter or faster than whatever somebody owns. no reason to flame other peoples cars. can you imagine those millionaires who have cars 100% more exotic than the corvette? im sure they look at the corvette like a kia. racing should be about the drivers not the cars.

Quick Reply: 350z IS NOT HEAVY