Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z's that drift to the right

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 12:29 PM
BigMike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z's that drift to the right

I've heard more than a few people experience their Z drifting to the right. I have an 05 and don't have the problem. But I was in Charlotte over the weekend and my cousin has a first year Dodge Magnum. I asked him if he has had any "first production year" problems. He said he hasn't but a lot of others have including a SEVERE drifting to the right problem.

Want to guess how Dodge is fixing the problem? They are moving the engine 1/8" or 1/4" to the left (can't remember). You think Nissan would ever do something like that?
Old 07-14-2005, 04:15 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

That sounds asinine, but I am not a mechanical engineer, so I don't know.

I doubt that nissan would do this... alignment is a lot simpler to do.

I still am not convinced that everyone who claims to be drifting to the right knows what they are talking about. Since most roads crown to the right, it's inaccurate to say your car drifts unless you are on a perfectly flat surface. The best place to test it is in a perfectly flat parking structure, but you probably can't get going at freeway speeds which is where the drifting would really matter.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:44 AM
BigMike

Okay, you said it, you're not a mechanical engineer.

The people that have had the work done claim its working. I'm sure Dodge wouldn't go through that much trouble fixing a problem if it hadn't been thoroughly tested.

My main point was that Nissan is not an "honorable" company. That's so ironic seeing how "honor" is such a big thing in Japan (at least according to the Karate Kid movies LOL). It just amazes me with some of the problems that people have had that Nissan takes the stance of "its the customer's fault".

You have to give credit to Dodge for doing what it takes to fix a problem
Old 07-15-2005, 07:07 AM
milanista

Wow. It sounds as though the problem experienced by the Dodge Magnum is that the engine placement in the chassis was wrong to begin with. Nissan addressed the drifting to the right problem experienced with the 350Z chassis by replacing a front suspension component with an updated part. I had this problem with my 2003 G35C, which was rectified under warranty with said updated part; however, I am not experiencing this problem with my 04 ZR. I wouldn't say that Nissan is less than honorable. They have addressed this problem.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:42 AM
BigMike

Originally Posted by milanista
Wow. It sounds as though the problem experienced by the Dodge Magnum is that the engine placement in the chassis was wrong to begin with. Nissan addressed the drifting to the right problem experienced with the 350Z chassis by replacing a front suspension component with an updated part. I had this problem with my 2003 G35C, which was rectified under warranty with said updated part; however, I am not experiencing this problem with my 04 ZR. I wouldn't say that Nissan is less than honorable. They have addressed this problem.
What about the 05's that have this problem. That isn't as big a deal as the tire feathering, transmission, rear end, etc. problems that Nissan has had with these cars and have not lived up to their end of fixing all problems as well as finding a solution and admitting there is a problem. Its unbelievable that they have problems with a 2003 model and a 2004 owner has the same problem and they tell the person that this particular problem is only being fixed for 2003 owners and "its not a problem with the 2004", even though the owner has that same exact problem. That is less than honorable.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:57 AM
Aggro_Al

Nissan does have a fix for the right drift problem. There's even a TSB on it. I had the problem and they replaced the right front compression rod and re-aligned the wheels. It took them about 2 hours to do and I no longer have the right drift problem. Like it's been mentioned before most roads crown to the right and most cars will eventually drift to the right on those roads. On a car with stiff suspension the drift will be more noticable because it doesn't float as much. The TSB has the criteria to determine if your car is a drifter.

http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownershi.../NTB03-046.htm

Except for the tire feathering, I would suspect that most people have had few problems with their Z's. I think it just sounds like quite a few problems because we only hear about the problems when they occur and it's probably only a few that have that particular occurrence. I have had quite a few problems with my 03 Z and after this experience I will never by a first year model again but, I haven't had a problem yet that Nissan hasn't been able to fix under warranty.

Last edited by Aggro_Al; 07-15-2005 at 11:06 AM.