Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Torn between 350Z & G35

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 09:16 PM
Dream

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TK2005
How are you debating between a lower end Z and a G35. There is over $10K difference between the two. If $10K is a drop in the bucket for you then step it up another $10K and get the new M3 or C6.
My folks are buying me a car as a graduation present, and I don't want to make them spend more money than I think is necessary Also, my parents are big safety nuts, so I threw the G35 in as a compromise between sports car and safe car. I'm 99% sure they won't spend more than 40k, and even the G35 is really pushing it, so a C6 or M3 is out of the question. Besides, performance is wasted on a guy like me. I mainly like the way the Z looks, so the performance is an added bonus. I don't really care about interior features as long as the interior is relatively comfortable.

Are those reasons good enough, or am I going to have to come up with something better?
Old 07-18-2005, 09:29 PM
ZlleH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The insurance between the 350Z and the G35coupe is $7 - $10 difference a month with my state farm insurance. the G35 coupe is the lesser of the two but come on, 7 - 10...

BTW... doesn't the audi TT have 4 seats? Do you think it is less sporty? lol

I used to think the TT stood for some kinda turbo but my friend said it stood for two + two, meaning the seats inside it. I guess it was a gimmick to decrease the insurance because if you ever seen the so called "backseat" of a TT, you would think it was made for 4 foot tall people, and totally no leg room if the front seat is put all the way back.

Originally Posted by dR6
Another issue is if there was a difference in the insurance between the two cars. Has anyone researched into this? I'm afraid a two-seater is inherently considered more sporty and thus higher to insure.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:33 PM
jinsei888

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get the geo
Old 07-18-2005, 10:35 PM
Z_Driver
Master

I'll chime in:

Test drove them both:

G35

Freeway ride is better. Good tires make the 350Z just as good.
Easier to get in and out of was better.
Back seats was a plus but in order to get them it is 10K more. I just kept my old car
instead of trading it into the Infiniti Dealer.
Interior - Can't stand the clock and the trying to be luxo interior.
Liked the rear spoiler.
Liked the fact it would take two golf bags easier than the Z. You might even be able
to get in one cart. Still, not a couples golf car. You want more room.

350Z

Lower
Like the modern/artsy/racy interior
Like the $'s
Like the heritage
Like the front end better
Like the smaller turning radius - Hit the curb doing a U-turn in the G.
Like the Stut bars. Yes even the one in the back. It does fit my golf bag and a cart.
If my wife and I go golfing we take another car. You can put two bags in there but it isn't pretty. Carts forget it. No room for cooler or anything else.
I do find that if I go to Palm Spring to golf. I have room for my golf bag, large duffle,
laptop, car cover, igloo cooler and still have room for a passenger. Space is at a
premium in the Z. I also want to state that while there is enough room for golf bags
etc... you really couldn't go on a golfing weekend with your wife/gf in this car without a rear deck carrier or the like. I just would do that. However, a weekend get away in the Z is possible as long as it doesn't include golf. You'll find you have enough room for the clothes, cameras, and cooler.*

The handling and power was close enough on both not to be a issue for me. I have
other cars that are much faster. That is not what I was buying this car for.

So, it all depends on if you want to spend the 10K more and you need the extra room.

Insurance: I wasn't really considering the 350Z at first I assumed the insurance was going to be twice the G35. The insurance is only $6 per month more for the 350Z for me over the G35 and cheaper than my Z31 was. That 6 Turbo and original cost drove that car up a bit.
I actually saved $18 a month over the Z31. I was shocked. It is always best that you check with your insurance company. Most likely since you are young it will make a larger difference. Maybe as much as $20 a month.

*Sorry if I was a bit long on this part. I thought it would be important to your decision. It wasn't for me since this car replaced my Z31 and have other cars for other jobs. Just something you need to think about.

Note the G35 spoiler on my ride.

Last edited by Z_Driver; 07-18-2005 at 10:47 PM.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:41 PM
B-Unit

Originally Posted by The Brickyard Rat
"Z has problems. G is for girly men."

Arnold, I didn't know you drove a Zzzzzzz!

LOL!

Old 07-19-2005, 07:44 AM
ANXIOUZ

That's an interesting point. But what I pay the most for in my insurance policy on the Z is for damage-related items. Given that the Infinity is a more expensive car I would think that the damage coverage would be even greater on the G35. My 2 cents....
Old 07-19-2005, 09:47 AM
lightforce18

I was debating on a 350z and g35. I was going to get a 350z in stick, then I redecided that stick would suck in chicago traffic in the morning then rush hour after work so I said im getting auto. I figured the g35 was better for me because of the back seats, and all the little features on the interior. Also I like the exterior look of the G35 more. So I decided to get the g35 in auto, and I love it so far. But they are both awsome cars, Id get either one.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:29 PM
JZ39

I own a Red 2004 Z Touring Auto (wife's car) and a Diamond Graphite 2004 G 6 speed 9my car).

I love both of the cars equally, but in different ways. Each does what it is supposed to do very well.

The red Z is sexy, small and sporty. The car is great to just kick back in and go for a spin. The radio in the Z is better than in the G and the layout is definately more hard-core sports car. The throttle response is definately snappier in the Z and the car feels like it has more grunt off the line. The Z is a bit lower and holds the road a bit better in stock form with less body roll.

The G does exactly what it is supposed to as well: it takes the essence of the Z and softens it by giving more luxury at the expense of a little sport. Also, I wouldn't be too quick to say the Z gets more looks--for me the G tends to get me more comments than the Z, perhaps just because it is more rare and looks more high-end. Once I added the Stillen sways to the G it handled much more like the Z in the turns.

I would drive either of the cars any day of the week. The Z does not seem to be as well put together as the G, though, and I find myself wondering how much trouble I am going to be in for with the Z in the long run. Both cars have the same number of miles on them and to date, the Z had to have the tires replaced and a major re-alignment performed while the G has been 100% rock solid.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:13 PM
Sensation350Z

Here`s my breakdown for you:
Interior: G > Z
Practicality: G > Z
Speed: G < Z [not by much]
Torque: G < Z
Exterior: G < Z [it`s all opinion on this though]
Daily Driving: G > Z [back seats]
Name: G > Z [Infiniti is higher end than Nissan. That`s part of the reason why the G costs more. It`s like Lexus/Toyota to Infiniti/Nissan]
Old 07-19-2005, 09:23 PM
xswl0931

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sensation350Z
Here`s my breakdown for you:
Interior: G > Z
Practicality: G > Z
Speed: G < Z [not by much]
Torque: G < Z
Exterior: G < Z [it`s all opinion on this though]
Daily Driving: G > Z [back seats]
Name: G > Z [Infiniti is higher end than Nissan. That`s part of the reason why the G costs more. It`s like Lexus/Toyota to Infiniti/Nissan]
Warranty G > Z
Service G > Z (loaners)
Resale G > Z (G coupe has highest resale value for coupes, not sure if that's still true today)
Old 07-19-2005, 09:41 PM
Sensation350Z

o0o I can`t believe I forgot resale. That`s a HUGE g > z
Old 07-19-2005, 11:00 PM
dd55

On the perfomance side of things the Z has a carbon fiber composite driveshaft and the G does not. It's 40% lighter but i dont know how much in terms of acceleration does it differ... The Z definitely feels like it has more low end torque. Oh and the Z is also about 400 lbs lighter too.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:26 AM
ANXIOUZ

Plus the Z is teh sexy!

As for resale, sure the G is going to be better. But keep in mind that you're not going to want to get rid of the car and you're paying like $10k(?) more as well.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:11 AM
BENSIN

Z looks way better than the G could ever even hope to dream to be. Yes that's right, the Z is that Zexy.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:40 AM
lebby-pooh

I'd pick the g coupe over the z if i had to choose again.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:45 AM
Sensation350Z

^ +1
Old 07-20-2005, 09:53 AM
BigMike

Originally Posted by lebby-pooh
I'd pick the g coupe over the z if i had to choose again.
+1

G has a sunroof
G doesn't have the problems the Z has
G with the 6MT performance package gives you awesome looking wheels and Brembos
G black on black makes it more sports car looking
G you get treated like a premium customer

Did I mention the G has a sunroof?

Downside - I see a major overhaul on the G platform in the near future.

Last edited by BigMike; 07-20-2005 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:06 AM
TK2005

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigMike
+1

G has a sunroof
G doesn't have the problems the Z has
G with the 6MT performance package gives you awesome looking wheels and Brembos
G black on black makes it more sports car looking
G you get treated like a premium customer

Did I mention the G has a sunroof?

Downside - I see a major overhaul on the G platform in the near future.
No more Brembos for 05up Gs. Only 03 and 04.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:00 PM
kpiskin

If you actually configure both the Z and the G the same (meaning you'd order a touring edition Z), the price difference is only about $1200. However, for that extra $1200 you spend on the G you get a back seat, sunroof, integrated fog lights, 19" wheels, better customer service (loaner etc), and 12 month longer warranty. Since I'm one of the older owners, IMO the only reason to buy a Z over the G is if you buy used, the Z depreciates faster so the price divide becomes larger the older the cars get.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:09 PM
JZ39

Originally Posted by BENSIN
Z looks way better than the G could ever even hope to dream to be. Yes that's right, the Z is that Zexy.

Well, that's your opinion. There are plenty of people that will make the exact opposite argument. As an owner of both, I find it hard to decide which is "better" looking because they are two different categories--the Z is a great looking sports coupe and the G is a great looking luxury sports coupe.

Quick Reply: Torn between 350Z & G35