Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

August Car & Driver

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2002, 06:13 AM
rai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hoax?

I hate to be accused of sounding like the other forum but.... I find it hard if not impossible to believe that no one else has gotten a copy of this so called C&D. I usually don't get mine until the 15 of the month but have seen it in the store around the 7th. Also the embargo is still in effect so I doubt it is real. Also the weight is much higher than anticipated. Also I am a little skepticle of the 0-60. And this is this guy's first post? Does anyone else see a smoking gun? Any way thats my take so flame away.

Last edited by rai; 06-26-2002 at 06:28 AM.
Old 06-26-2002, 06:14 AM
2000Rdstr
Site Sponsor

In response to AtlZ - I must correct the "S2000 fan". 2000Rdstr refers to my 1968 Datsun Roadster 2000 (almost fully restored) that I own - not the Honda. As far as the only one to have the August Car and Driver I'm surprised that no one in this forum has received one. I live 30 minutes northeast of Nashville, TN and always receive about this time of the month. As far as scanning the rest of the article I had enought trouble (I don't use the scanner that much) trying to get it "down to size" and still didn't make it. Jmanz was kind enough to take my email and get in the thread. You won't hurt my feelings with any flames as I have felt the samer paranoia over other info in this forum.
Old 06-26-2002, 06:21 AM
pointfivezero
Charter Member #16

Can you imagine what the Nissan execs are feeling as they read this thread? They deliver more than ever promised and only get heartache.

Another theory, maybe they sent 2000Rdstr his issue two weeks early to gauge reaction from the Z community......
Old 06-26-2002, 06:22 AM
AtlZ

Originally posted by 2000Rdstr
In response to AtlZ - I must correct the "S2000 fan". 2000Rdstr refers to my 1968 Datsun Roadster 2000 (almost fully restored) that I own - not the Honda. As far as the only one to have the August Car and Driver I'm surprised that no one in this forum has received one. I live 30 minutes northeast of Nashville, TN and always receive about this time of the month. As far as scanning the rest of the article I had enought trouble (I don't use the scanner that much) trying to get it "down to size" and still didn't make it. Jmanz was kind enough to take my email and get in the thread. You won't hurt my feelings with any flames as I have felt the samer paranoia over other info in this forum.
sorry 2000, that was the first thing to come to my mind. guess im getting anxious waiting for my Z. thanks for the info..
Old 06-26-2002, 06:22 AM
keepupp

Not complaining, just very skeptical. Now why in the world would they put a "pre-production" vehicle on the front cover of a prestigious magazine when the vehicle launch is just around the corner, and I am sure they could have gotten their hands on a production spec car. I seriously doubt Nissan would allow a test drive and article of a less-than spec car. Either this is it or I dont know what. No flames please....just a Z fan that stays quiet until he notices something fishy.
Old 06-26-2002, 06:33 AM
keepupp

Those of you who think some of us are "complaining" just remember....there are SOME of us who have been following the new Z just as long as you.......in my case, I felt this subject needed some attention considering the concern I have. I am concerned that Nissan set Some of us up to think this would outperform the Boxster S and run with the M....(just remember the comparison on Nissandriven.com) if the numbers are right, this car is good competition for the Mustang Gt (although the GT is a huge waste of space) .....I still anxioulsy wait for my Z for Nissans reputation for excellent build quality and reliability, and maybe my hopes were too high. The way Nissan has promoted the car over the past year made it sound like a true performer (with the likes of BMW M and Boxster S), but these numbers seem to undercut MOST of us by quite a bit. On a good note, the trap speed does seem fast for 14.1, and I am optomistic to see what other publications get.
Old 06-26-2002, 06:40 AM
alllaw
Charter Member #46

Let's hear it for Simplycute and CheeZ!!!!! They said it all.
Old 06-26-2002, 06:43 AM
Flyingscot

Originally posted by JmanZ
Not starting a flame... but come on Flyingscot... maybe you're not being reasonable here? -j-
Well, JmanZ I hear what you are saying and your loyalty to Nissan is even stronger than mine, which is truly admirable (and in fact quite amazing ), but here's what I am thinking:

R&T's test weight for a 2000 Maxima SE was 3460lbs (that’s only 138lbs heavier). Think 4 door, 5 person, big trunk, leather, sunroof, etc. etc.

Now really, how can this 3322lb number be real?

The Z has aluminum hood, engine and suspension.
The Z has a carbon Fiber driveshaft
The Z has magnesium steering wheel (I think)
The Z is NOT a convertible or a T-Top.

So where's all the weight?

The Subaru WRX STi only weighs 3240lbs and the Lancer Evo is 100lbs lighter. Both are four door cars.

The other stats. are fine because you can add stuff, but, the weight thing is an issue because no one wants to strip their car.

I'm upset because in amateur racing (Track or Autocross) the Nissans (except the original Datsun 240Z and the 510) get their lunch handed to them by the other makes (both Japanese and BMW) because of one thing: WEIGHT. You cannot hide weight no matter what you do. It affects handling, braking and speed. A heavy car will eventually wear down the brakes, tires and finally the driver.

I really thought I could inject some respect for the Nissan products at the track, without having to hear "Oh, it's heavy" or "Weight's your issue" or "How much does that weight? Your joking!".

I'm sure on the highway the car will perform admirably ,but, in my opinion what Nissan needs is to dominate Showroom Stock, Touring and GT classes so the marquee can earn back a little respect from the racing camp and their friends. AND wait for it, do this without spending a million dollars to hide their mistakes.

Like I say, the other numbers are fine, but the weight (if true) is a huge disappointment, especially since my current Nissan is 2400lbs and handles like a dream (and it's still bloody over weight compared with the competition).

All I need now is someone in a Honda Civic Type-R (US bound) or Mini Cooper S to out maneuver me at the track - this would really make my day.

Okay, rant over! As many of you can attest, I'm normally mild mannered and easy going. But I for one, really was looking for a lightweight high performance car for under $55,000. I thought the Z was it. I am disappointed because it looks like the one thing I wanted will not come to pass (or will it? ) Anyway, I would instruct others to ignore my rants because in other ways I think the car will be super, especially for the money.

BTW: They do say that a critic is often the most staunch supporter if you listen long enough.

Oh, and the Mustang comment was a little over the top. Had a bad day at work, guess I over reacted.

Last edited by Flyingscot; 06-26-2002 at 07:10 AM.
Old 06-26-2002, 06:46 AM
BILZ Z

I for one am not purchasing this car to "beat" every other car on the road. If I wanted to do that, I would have kept my CLK55 AMG. Instead, I sold it to buy a car (the Z) which has great lines and sends chills down my spine with it's looks. Stop pissing and moaning and enjoy your Z. No flame towards anyone, just am growing impatient.
Old 06-26-2002, 06:48 AM
blackknight

Ahhh, isn't this wonderful. I've never seen such a livelier conversation on here. This is better than watching prime time TV.

My opionion like many others in this post is simply what the cover of the mag states:

"ZERO TO 60 IN 5.4 FOR LESS THAN $27,000!"

My question to all those that are upset with the publication's stats is how many other "true" sports cars are out there for that price with that type of performance????

Hmmmm. I can't seem to think of any!!! I'm sure someone out there might correct me.

Let's not forget Nissan is a private run corporation with one thing on it's mind. PROFIT! They definitely aren't here to please every "Tom, Dick, & Harry." My hats off to them for bringing back the Z with that kind of performance at a very affordable price.

Last edited by blackknight; 06-26-2002 at 06:55 AM.
Old 06-26-2002, 06:54 AM
BrianZ

Originally posted by 2000Rdstr
2000Rdster

In your defense, when I saw someone who thought you were talking about the S2000, I immediately thought you were talking about the Datsun 2000. Glad to see you are a true enthusiast!!! Those are nice machines!!!! 1968 is a good year too.

Last edited by BrianZ; 06-26-2002 at 07:19 AM.
Old 06-26-2002, 07:33 AM
tangneyx

Angry 0.88g's Skidpad

0.88g for this car is not good at all. The G35 pulled 0.86 in R&T's July issue and is almost 6" taller (higher CG) and only had 215/55R17 tires. The Z also has 1.3" wider front track and 1.5" wider rear. All of this must amount to more than 0.02g's. The argument that C&D is too conservative doesn't really apply for this test. Doesn't make sense to me, but I guess we'll see.

This car should have no problem reaching the 0.9's
Old 06-26-2002, 07:37 AM
Flyingscot

Okay, I've calmed down and thought this thing through. I still stand by my previous post (but not the previous previous - cause that was Mr. Hide) but I'm fairly confident the weight quoted from the C&D article is the test weight and not the curb weight reported as 3180. 3180, while not super, is a very respectable number.

If the Z's weight is 3180 and no more, then people will enjoy this car more than the stats will show. Stats do not accurately convey the "driving experience" and so at least test drive this thing before you considered jumping ship. Also, I'm confident the Z will still stomp on its intended competition.

BTW: I hope Nissan has a bloody good reason for keeping us all pent up like this for so long. I swear it's going to be the end of me if I don't get some HARD numbers soon.

I guess I shouldn't have cancelled my subscription to C&D and Prozac.
Old 06-26-2002, 07:40 AM
Boomer

Default Much ado about nothing

In an earlier post I guessed at 0-60,1/4 mile and trap speed. The 6spd was 5.2-3; the 1/4 was under 14 secs and the trap spd was over a 100 mph. Okay, on this particular test, on a day with some driver and unknown weight figures I was 1 to 2 tenths of a second off. Hey people, anytime you can get those kind of numbers for the price, style and pedigree, you have picked a winner. For those of you who are disappointed, cough up a few $ for NISMO performance parts and put your foot to the floor.

I am completely satisfied because I'm more interested in how fast the car will go 20-40, 40-60, 60-80 and 80-100 rather than the stoplight Grand Prix. And, you can change the understeer to more neutral handling by putting same size tires on the back as are on the front, or by even putting a lot more air in the back tires. Nissan staggered the tire size to promote a bit of safer understeer, instead of the dreaded oversteer where the rear end of your car beats the front end and you around a fast corner. Porsche long ago discovered larger tires on the back helped reduce the "snap oversteer" that comes from having a rear engine car heavier in the back than the front. I read somewhere from a learned racer and suspension engineer that all high performance cars have a tendency to oversteer when you went through a really fast corner. Theres's more but I have pontificated more than enough

For the first test, I think the car fared very well and with the performance available for as low as $28,000, it sure leaves you plenty of opportunity to add aftermarket goodies which will beat the hell of a lot of much more expensive cars. It matchs closely both the S2000 and Boxster; and beats the Audi handily last time I looked.

I am going to love this car and I plan to keep it for a long time.

Boomer--how sweet it is.

Last edited by Boomer; 06-26-2002 at 07:43 AM.
Old 06-26-2002, 07:50 AM
BrianZ

Originally posted by Flyingscot
...I'm fairly confident the weight quoted from the C&D article is the test weight and not the curb weight reported as 3180. 3180, while not super, is a very respectable number.

If the Z's weight is 3180 and no more, then people will enjoy this car more than the stats will show. Stats do not accurately convey the "driving experience" and so at least test drive this thing before you considered jumping ship. Also, I'm confident the Z will still stomp on its intended competition.

I agree with you on both points. Sometimes numbers just don't quantify what a car is really like. As in the case of my Beamer, the total "package" is more attractive than any of the individual statistics would indicate.
Old 06-26-2002, 07:53 AM
BrianZ

Default Re: Much ado about nothing

Originally posted by Boomer

I am completely satisfied because I'm more interested in how fast the car will go 20-40, 40-60, 60-80 and 80-100 rather than the stoplight Grand Prix. ....
Personally, I'm REALLY interested in how fast the car can go 81-84. I'm really hoping its fast, I just love that little sweet spot: 81, 84, 81, 84....

JK!

Old 06-26-2002, 07:57 AM
iMR2

Originally posted by VQracer

That means they tested the base model. NO VLSD
Not likely to matter in a straight line run.
Old 06-26-2002, 07:58 AM
Flyingscot

Originally posted by VQracer

That means they tested the base model. NO VLSD
Are, maybe you are on to something (i.e. .88g). This is the problem with getting spoon fed with little itty bitty bits of info. The guy who posted the article hasn't provided any further clarification on the test weight or the model tested.

Are you out there Mr. C&D reader?

Last edited by Flyingscot; 06-26-2002 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-26-2002, 08:00 AM
BrianZ

Originally posted by Flyingscot

Are, maybe you are on to something (i.e. .88g). This is the problem with getting spoon fed with little itty bitty bits of info. The guy who posted the article hasn't provided any further clarification on the test weight or the model tested.
We'll have to see what the article says. Maybe the cover hype doesn't match the model tested in the article.

Quick Reply: August Car & Driver