2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Final Hurdles to my DreamZ

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 11:23 AM
Spindle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Final Hurdles to my DreamZ

Well Guys and Gals...

I am turning 18 on July 22nd. I have been saving up for a Z since it came out and now that I have a few years of driving under my belt I am ready to upgrade from my 2004 Jetta 1.8T. It will be a 2003 with what I hope has about 25k miles on it or less. I am aiming for the performance trim. KBB.com "2003 Performance - $22,240".

I know the insurance will be high, as well as the car payment and gas. I do plan on paying for most of this over a four year loan with some help from my parents. My dad is all about saftey. Thats one of the reasons I drive an 04 Jetta. My mom drives a 2005 BMW X5 3.0 a safe car and my dad drives a fricken 2005 Volvo S80 T6 another uber safe car.

I'll have to sway my parents into getting this and its going to be hard to do because they care about saftey and some other factors. Thats where you guys come in. This Saturday, the 23rd, the girlfriend, mom, dad, and I are going to test drive a 350Z. As part of my birthday celebration I said to my dad, "I only want to go test drive the Z if you drive it as well." He agreed. I am hoping he falls in love with it as much as I do after driving it and put me over the hump to start searching for a used one.

What other things do you suggest I do to persaude my parents on getting this car. Stuff like, "Hey dad if you ever want to take mom out in the Z, have it for the night". Any help is appreciated I want to know the best way to go about this.

Although I will be 18 I am very responsible and I have worked my *** off saving up for this. Please refrain from "your spolied and shouldn't have a car like this at this age" There is tons of kids in my area with brand new STi, Evos, Mercs, Bimmers, Audis, Ford GTs, etc. and don't pay a dime.

- Matthew

Last edited by Spindle; 07-20-2005 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:33 AM
Joeys_z

Originally Posted by Spindle
Well Guys and Gals...

I am turning 18 on July 22nd. I have been saving up for a Z since it came out and now that I have a few years of driving under my belt I am ready to upgrade to a better sportier car from my 2004 Jetta 1.8T. Of course this car ain't going to be a 2005, it will be a 2003 with what I hope has about 25k miles on it or less. I am aiming for the performance trim. KBB.com "2003 Performance - $22,240". I know the insurance will be high about $340 a month as well as the car payment and gas. I do plan on paying for most of this over a four year loan with some help from my parents. The thing is my dad is all about saftey. Thats one of the reasons I drive an 04 Jetta. My mom drives a 2005 BMW X5 3.0 a safe car and my dad drives a fricken 2005 Volvo S80 T6 another uber safe car. I'll have to sway my parents into getting this and its going to be hard to do because they care about saftey and some other factors. Thats where you guys come in. This Saturday, the 23rd, the girlfriend, mom, dad, and I are going to test drive a 350Z. As part of my birthday celebration I said to my dad, "I only want to go test drive the Z if you drive it as well." He agreed although he hasn't driven stick in a while but should pick it up when we test drive the car. I am hoping he falls in love with it as much as I do after driving it and put me over the hump to start searching for a used one. What other things do you suggest I do to persaude my parents on getting this car. Stuff like, "Hey dad if you ever want to take mom out in the Z, have it for the night". I just wish my parents would enter their midlife crisis sooner (JK). Any help is appreciated I want to know the best way to go about this. Although I will be 18 I am very responsible and I have worked my *** off saving up for this. Please refrain from "your spolied and shouldn't have a car like this at this age" There is tons of kids in my area with brand new STi, Evos, Mercs, Bimmers, Audis, Ford GTs, etc. and don't pay a dime. Remember it will be a 2003 Performance Z.

- Matthew
OH GOD MAKE IT STOP!!!!!
Old 07-20-2005, 11:41 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Use line breaks, paragraphs, and stuff to make this more readable... I had to stop.

I quit around the part about safety. Just get the side/curtain airbags and tell your dad it's way safer than your Jetta with those airbags.

Done deal, congrats if you get your Z.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:44 AM
TK2005

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well Guys and Gals...

I am turning 18 on July 22nd. I have been saving up for a Z since it came out and now that I have a few years of driving under my belt I am ready to upgrade to a better sportier car from my 2004 Jetta 1.8T. Of course this car ain't going to be a 2005, it will be a 2003 with what I hope has about 25k miles on it or less. I am aiming for the performance trim. KBB.com "2003 Performance - $22,240". I know the insurance will be high about $340 a month as well as the car payment and gas. I do plan on paying for most of this over a four year loan with some help from my parents. The thing is my dad is all about saftey. Thats one of the reasons I drive an 04 Jetta. My mom drives a 2005 BMW X5 3.0 a safe car and my dad drives a fricken 2005 Volvo S80 T6 another uber safe car. I'll have to sway my parents into getting this and its going to be hard to do because they care about saftey and some other factors. Thats where you guys come in. This Saturday, the 23rd, the girlfriend, mom, dad, and I are going to test drive a 350Z. As part of my birthday celebration I said to my dad, "I only want to go test drive the Z if you drive it as well." He agreed although he hasn't driven stick in a while but should pick it up when we test drive the car. I am hoping he falls in love with it as much as I do after driving it and put me over the hump to start searching for a used one. What other things do you suggest I do to persaude my parents on getting this car. Stuff like, "Hey dad if you ever want to take mom out in the Z, have it for the night". I just wish my parents would enter their midlife crisis sooner (JK). Any help is appreciated I want to know the best way to go about this. Although I will be 18 I am very responsible and I have worked my *** off saving up for this. Please refrain from "your spolied and shouldn't have a car like this at this age" There is tons of kids in my area with brand new STi, Evos, Mercs, Bimmers, Audis, Ford GTs, etc. and don't pay a dime. Remember it will be a 2003 Performance Z.

- Matthew
I have quite a way with words. Have your parents call me and we'll set something up. This is on the condition that one of your many buddies with a Ford GT lets me drive around the block a couple times.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:53 AM
Spindle

You live in Texas, I live in IL. The GT Convt ain't that great IMO. I have to convince them, I just need the right words for it
Old 07-20-2005, 12:02 PM
TK2005

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You live in Texas, I live in IL. The GT Convt ain't that great IMO. I have to convince them, I just need the right words for it
I didn't even know that those $180K super cars even came in convertible. That must be some special edition....probably around $200K
Old 07-20-2005, 12:06 PM
Spindle

I am terribly sorry TK2005. Not the Ford GT. The Ford Mustang GT Convt. My bad, sorry again. I am out of it today..
Old 07-20-2005, 01:24 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Wow you cleaned up your post nicely!

Very good job!!

/me pats newb on the head
Old 07-20-2005, 01:33 PM
Spindle

Originally Posted by Z2000Maximaguy
Wow you cleaned up your post nicely!

Very good job!!

/me pats newb on the head

The "/me"! Someone is an IRC fan . But I am a newb.

I just want this car so bad and am close on earning/getting it. Where could I find reliable safety ratings for it? Do you think my pop will like the car and catch the Z bug? Ahhh I can't wait for Saturday!

Anxious!

- Matthew
Old 07-20-2005, 01:43 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I got my 2003 Performance model new in 2002, my insurance actually when down and has stayed down. The car that I traded in was a 2001 Eclipse. I think that it safe to say that the Z, at least in the eyes on my Ins. Co., is less of a liability than the Eclipse. Keep in mind that I was 33 at the time and I have no points/accidents.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:50 PM
ClaytonC01

my insurance went down when i bought my Z and i had a VW GTI
Old 07-20-2005, 01:54 PM
elms350Z

Same here, I had a 98 mitsu mirage and when I got a 05 350Z my insurance only went up about 10 bucks a month. I was like "ummm...how much?" Then I went out the next day and bought one. Usually Farmers is very expensive, but I've been a loyal customer for 9 years, now 25.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:56 PM
Spindle

So you think going from the 04 Jetta 1.8T to the 03 Z Performance it could lower my insurance?

I would be under my own policy and my dad got a quote from Alstate it would be $350 a month. I don't know what we are paying for the Jetta because I am under the family insurance.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:01 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

$4200/yr is WAY too much for Ins. IMO. Hopefully you will get a good deal on trad-in and lower the payments.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:14 PM
Spindle

It's not going to be traded in. My twin sister will drive the Jetta. Stupid Sister costing me more money!
Old 07-20-2005, 02:28 PM
DWS44

So you think going from the 04 Jetta 1.8T to the 03 Z Performance it could lower my insurance?

it would be $350 a month.
DEAR GOD IN HEAVEN! You have my sympathy on that part! I guess I was lucky...my parents rule was basically I could drive whatever I wanted, as long as I could afford it with my money. The highest insurance I ever had was when i was 19 driving a del Sol @ ~$130/mo.

Kinda strange thing about insurance, though...got a quote on swapping my 2002 Firehawk for an 05 Z Roadster on my insurance...the Z makes it go up about $20/mo...for kicks I asked about rates on a 2005 Vette. Shockingly, the Vette rates were lower than the Z!
Old 07-20-2005, 02:32 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Insurance is always relative...

If you were a parent who had a lot of money and assets, you would force your kid to get insurance with a high amount of coverage, to protect those assets should you get sued for something your kid does.

That may explain the high insurance.

If you get $100/mo insurance and are under 25 years old, your coverage will be minimal, which is fine if the kid is independent, but if he is still claimed as a dependent by the parents, then higher insurance might be required to feel safe.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:41 PM
Spindle

My dad said he got the quote for the same insurance as he has so I guess its a lot of coverage. He doesn't want me to be under the family policy because of something happens he doesn't want the family rates going up.

I think we will do something like uninsure me on the Jetta and whatever my parents are paying for me for that car put towards the Z at least part of it. It doesn't change any amount of $$ for them just where it goes towards.

I am leaning towards the SB btw. I notice some of you have it and it looks great!
Old 07-20-2005, 03:51 PM
RNL323
Mod My Ride

Props for earning your future Z, not banking on Mom and Dad...

Anyway, I believe the Z has one of the highest safety ratings...I remember from the Z brochure at the dealer.

There's a lot of forum members that have gotten into twisted accidents and were able to walk a way with minor bumps, bruises, and scrapes. I'm sure if you do a search you will find the posts and their pics.

If you find them, maybe you can print and show'em to your parents????

Good luck!!!
Old 07-20-2005, 05:35 PM
STiSchucky

tell your dad a simple airbag aint gonna stop you from crashing into a cinder block on teh side of the road catapulting you into the windshield, killing you instantly while your gf whose in the front seat has internal bleeding in the brain due to the impact.

jk i have no idea wtf that was. uhh pics of the gf atleast?

Quick Reply: Final Hurdles to my DreamZ